Eating out - help!!

Emmma

grammar police
So we've a work's night out on monday. I would not go, but it's pretty compulsory so I'm going to have to stick to water/dc and go home after the meal.

My problem is we're eating from a set menu and it doesn't look the best. My options are below - what do you think will do the least damage?

STARTERS
Penne with Prawns , Smoked Salmon & Spinach & Creamed White Wine Sauce
RoastFrench Black Pudding with Pearl Barley Pancetta & Red Wine Jus
Soups of the Day (v)
Deep Fried Brie with Pepper & Mango Chutney (v)
Warm Salad of Bacon & Chorizo, Croutons
Crab Fishcake with Avocado & Tomato Salsa
Mackerel Rilette With Sweet Pickled Cucumber
Chicken liver parfait with Apple Chutney & Toasted Brioche (v)
Confit pork Terrine Wrapped in Bayonne Ham , Pickled red Cabbage

MAIN COURSES
Confit Duck Leg with Braised Red Cabbage & sweet Red Onoions & Orange Jus
Pan Fried Pigeon Breasts with Haggis , Neeps & Tattis& Red Wine Jus
Steamed Fillet of Salmon with Ginger & Leeks, Warm Tartare Sauce, Chervil, Spinach & Broad Beans
Roast Breast of Chicken Stuffed with Dolcelatte Cheese, Spinach, Leeks & Tomato Sauce
Crispy Belly Pork with Champ Mash ,Creamed Mushroom Sauce
Char-Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Pepper Corn Sauce (£3 Extra)
Pan Fried Lambs Liver with Bacon & Black Pudding, Bacon, Caramelised Onion & Red wine jus
Tart of Roast Vegetables with Spinach, Goat Cheese & Rocket Salad (v)
Braised Lamb Henry with White Haricot Bean & Vegetables Stew

DESSERTS
Passion Fruit Cheesecake, Passion Fruit & Muscat Soup, Ceme Chantilly
Crème Brûlée
(n) Sticky Toffee Pudding, Roast Almond & Toffee Sauce
Selection of Homemade Ice-cream & Sorbet
Dark Chocolate Fugde Brownie With White Chocolate Ice Cream
Cheese of the Day
Brandy Snap Basket, Fruit Salad & White Chocolate Ice cream

Mt first reaction would be to shake the person who booked that menu!
It's not just Dukan unfriendly, it will be equally unforgiving for colleagues with a range of common health issues, or a vegetarian. (Every vegetarian I know feels queasy at the idea of eating yet another goats cheese tart).

This one is really tricky - in your shoes I'd probably go for the soup and the steak without the sauce (is your employer paying?) and skip desert.

Or the salmon.

I'd go for veg soup if Dukan-ish (depending on veg obv and if it's loaded with cream) if not the chicken liver (ignore the chutney and brioche), salmon (ignore sauce and broad beans), steak or chicken (leaving the naughty bits on the side of your plate, again) and cheese (last course choice not Dukan-friendly but won't take you out of ket and you can have a nibble and leave the rest).

Hope you're not paying because it seems such a waste to only eat half - lovely menu (and no doubt pricey) but so unDukan.:(

I would do the mackerel or the bacon and chorizo salad (you can leave the croutons) and then the salmon or the pigeon?

I agree with Atropos. The soup, then either the steak or the salmon, followed by being "too full to face dessert" would be best in the circumstances, I think.

If you try to avoid the sauces as best you can and drink plenty of water afterwards, I'm sure you'll be fine, Em.

Atropos - Yes, one of my veggie friends in particular now detests goat's cheese with a passion. It seems to be the easy option for chefs to just throw in because they can't think of anything else.

no, it's all on the company - as will the drinks be, but i won't be staying out after we've eaten anyway - we have a bully in our office who has a problem with me for some reason, and hasn't spoken to me in over a year. he has a tendency to get aggressive when he's had a drink, so i prefer not to be around him on nights out.

was thinking those robinhood, obv leaving anything carby and trying to make it more of an atkins style thing.

thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. i will probably go for the chicken livers, steak or salmon with plenty of veg on the side and then be too full for pudding.

what a drama, really - bring on conso when i can enjoy these meals properly!

The end is really in sight for you now!
I'm sorry that you are having to work with a bully too - it's amazing how much of it there is around.

i'm used to it now. he's really not a nice person, so i don't feel like i'm missing out. still not good for the office atmosphere though...

i'm sure it's all to do with the surely tiny p***s he must have to make him so horrible :D

at least it gives me a good excuse to go home early!

Glad the others sorted you out so that I didn't have to read that (probably) delicious menu :D

Have a nice time and hopefully you'll get another chance of doing this porperly a little *later*.

I just wanted to add 'parfait' usually involves liberal amounts of butter and/or cream - like Rilettes really - though Mackerel rilettes could be with mayo or tartare sauce etc.

So wear your Atkins hat for the evening :) and enjoy!

Those Atkins hats Vicky handed out for emergencies are sooo useful!

Back