Em's diary

Oops we've hijacked Em's diary again with our silliness!

Hijacking is fine. Swearing is not. You pollocked in here!

I at least am at work

I consider myself suitably pollocked :)
Off to Hengistbury Head shortly Jo. The guys want to eat but I will probably just have a drink. There is a lovely restaurant there now.

Drama this morning - went out to top up the chicken water and one of them was running around with a slow worm in its mouth! The other chooks were all chasing! I thought I saw one of them swallow the thing whole but then minutes later one of the other hens was running around with it! My eggs are going to be nice tomorrow :) Hope I don't get the conservation people after me!! (I did consider rescuing it but it was already dead by that point!

I think the world's gone mad if you're expected to prevent chickens from eating worms....no matter how protected..

thinking of keeping chooks myself....wouldn't know where to start tbh...might look into it when things at work have settled :) x

I think the world's gone mad if you're expected to prevent chickens from eating worms....no matter how protected..

thinking of keeping chooks myself....wouldn't know where to start tbh...might look into it when things at work have settled :) x

I am quite fond of mine already. Not collected today's eggs yet because one of the chooks is broody and won't shift off the bloomin eggs!!

how many chooks do you have?

what's the average lay?

where did you get them?

how soon did they start laying ? :)

do they damage the garden?

are they smelly? :)

sorry for all the questions...just interested...go through a lot of eggs with dukan etc so having a free-ish supply would be nice x

I can't wait to meet these chooks! they sound like real characters!

oh I have chickens too. I have had them for about 2 years now - I love them. The eggs are great too. We have a fenced off area in the garden for ours - we have 10 and a cock called Dave.
They do jump the fence and do ruin the garden so we have been out this morning to buy some trellis to make the fence higher so that we can enjoy the garden again.

ooooh Dana - an expert! How fabulous! I do envy you two living in the sort of place where you can have chickens! I buy mine each weekend in the country from a farm, and am often invited in the summer to pick walnuts or plums in the field where the chooks are... they love plums too!

I was actually being serious Jo :p lol

but I googled it and found the answer....good job too...don't fancy early morning wake up calls rooster style...

hmmm considering more....

You'd not be able to move easily for work!

Well, it's been so quiet in here for weeks, and the first day i'm offline you all come in and make yourselves comfortable!! Hope you've had a nice day in here whilst i've been stuffing loft insulation into bags and ripping off artex covered plasterboard ;)

I did see raymond blanc, but i can't have been paying attention as i don't remember the salmon... must have been trying to catch up on here :)

got loads achieved today, and my dukan friendly lunch went down really well :) will update with food later as not sure what we're having for tea yet.

I'd love to keep chickens but we really don't have the space i think. Could probably just about manage an egglu, but they're so expensive...

Back