Em's diary

Shattered after a proper day of hard labour. My hands are savaged completely but it will be worth it. Can't wait to be fully rid of the artexed hall stairs and landing and bottle green carpet that i inherited with the house!

B: half cinnamon galete
L: small slice chicken & asparagus quiche, bowl butternut squash & leek soup, small piece roast salmon (50g) & 1 slice smoked salmon, 1/6 yogurt cake
S: another slice of quiche, rest of galette
D: 2 chicken breasts sliced and dry fried, 1/2 roast butternut squash with garlic, 1/6 yogurt cake

Will be hungry again later i'm sure since expending so much energy today so will probably have a bowl of sweetened greek yogurt as well

how many chooks do you have?

what's the average lay?

where did you get them?

how soon did they start laying ? :)

do they damage the garden?

are they smelly? :)

sorry for all the questions...just interested...go through a lot of eggs with dukan etc so having a free-ish supply would be nice x

I have 6 and I get between 4 and 6 eggs per day, although the broody one isn't laying as she is brooding and I felt as though I was risking her wrath today by removing eggs form underneath her!

I got them from a local poultry farm but you can also rescue battery ones; they were laying when I got them.

We have fenced off some garden for them which they have totally destroyed - but it means a bit less gardening for us!

They are a little bit whiffy!

Not sure they save money after buying the hen house and fencing and the food, but didn't get them to save, but because I like knowing the provenance of my grub.

Ouch, those artexed walls are painful if you scrape against them accidentally! Bet you're very glad to be rid of them. We used to have them in the kitchen of our old house and they were horrid.

Sounds as though the end result will be well worth all of the hassle, Em.

It definitely will be dd, though it's a painful process getting there - my hands are red raw, and i managed to scrape a big gash up my leg with a nail this afternoon :( New boards should start going up tomorrow, and for the most part it should be a pretty quick exercise.

Another day heavy on the food, and had to stick a little extra oatbran in there as energy went really low this afternoon...

B: cinnamon galette
L: slice chicken & bacon quiche, 70g roast salmon fillet, 1 slice smoked salmon, 1/6 yogurt cake, half ramekin of cheesecake
S: oatbran biscuit
D: 400g turkey luc lac

expecting to snack later on some sweetened yogurt or perhaps a little more yogurt cake

What is turkey luc lac?

Today's meals PP
B Yoghurt and oat bran
Lunch: half a chicken
D: Half a chicken, 2 eggs, yoghurt

its a recipe from the book for beef that i use with turkey instead. it's a marinade of salt reduced soy sauce and oyster sauce (small quantities as they're both quite salty) and fresh ginger, then cooked in a pan with fresh crushed garlic. should really only be used on occasion as the marinade probably counts as both tolerated items to be honest...

Did you mean to post your menu in here, or was that bit meant to go in the menu thread? ;)

Last edited:
My dad is seriously handy, and he's taught me a lot over the years. Today we've managed the tricksy bit over the stairs, the ceiling on the landing and one wall on the landing. I'll be able to get a couple more walls done tomorrow on my own, then we'll set to the rest of it at some point next week. Will be getting a plasterer in to skim it all over and then it'll be skirtings and a coat of paint, but it will all be so worth it - was hideous before!

B: 2 slices quiche
L: chicken breast with dukan friendly homemade bbq sauce, a little more quiche, and a little baked salmon
S: cinnamon galette
D: roast beef, roast garlic butternut squash (1/2) and roast balsamic shallots
S: dukan cheesecake

Well the plasterboarding only took me an hour and a half this morning, then I ran out of boards, so managed to finally enjoy a little of this gorgeous weather, perhaps a little too much - have managed to get sunburn on my forehead, chest and arms - ouch! :sigh:

B: slice quiche, fillet smoked mackerel
L: smoked and baked salmon, half cinnamon galette
S: rest of galette
D: 2 chicken breasts cut into strips and dry fried, fillet baked salmon, fillet smoked mackerel, dukan cheesecake

wow you have been working very hard, I need to start decorating soon as i finish the university course, I also like a bit DIY but hubby does not lol

Hope you've had a nice day Em; do you have anything nice planned for your time off or is it more DIY for you?

We're in Liverpool visiting friends today, then Wales tomorrow, then back home thurs. Have come laden with supplies to keep me on track but dinner tonight was more atkins than dukan, so won't be posting menus! Will be checking in on my phone but will probably be a bit quiet for a couple of days.

Will be back to DIY next weekend though. Are you enjoying your peace and quiet mouse?

I had a lovely day yesterday thanks Em - and getting ready for spa day today.
A bit of retail tomorrow then rellies down for the weekend. Lots of cooking as I will have me to cook for, a coeliac vegetarian, a vegetarian who eats nothing but plain pasta and the rest of my family to cater for!! Gluten free pasta for the lot of them I think!!

morning xxx

evening

Evening!

Managed to remain good today, even managed pp day, galette, roast chicken, chicken quiche & fromage frais. Had one tbsp extra oatbran this aft as was in a slight bind but thought better that than the iced fingers doing the rounds! Back home and to normality tomorrow :D

yey well done nice to get back to normality .....ive had a bad week but i know the kids are off school again on friday , cant wait till tuesday when it all gets back to a routine

Back