Excess Skin

nicola444

Hi,

I am new to this forum and about to start SS CD - I have 6 stones 10lbs to lose - phew a lot but I am hoping I can do it

I have not dieted for years and have PCOS but really need to get a grip as I have been putting on a stone every year for the last six years and it will continue unless I do something.

My question / concern is around excess skin if you lose weight quickly and also if you lose a lot of weight. Most of my excess weight is around my stomach area.

Could you please give me some advice as to how to prevent or minimise this happening.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to being part of the community.

That's a really good question and something which I've been worried about too. I will look forward to people's advice. Thanks for asking the question for me :)
Kate

Hiya

Loose skin is such a strange one, it is dependent on a lot of things, yes the speed of loss is one but also age, original size, goal size, and the general areas of the skin are all factors.

I lost just under 12 stone and was a "belly" boy when I was big and hence I had a tummy tuck recently to get rid of the loose skin but you may find at 6 stone that you may actually be ok and it will jump back by itself.

Loose skin though is no reason not to lose weight, my advice is lose the weight and then deal with it if you have it afterwards as loose skin won't shorten your life whereas being overweight can do.

Mike

good advice icemoose!

Hiya Nicola, welcome to minimins....we have a similar amount of weight to lose and I too have been gaining on average a stone a year.
I've gone from 8 st 2lb...all the way up to 15st 10lbs at my first weigh in (WI) with my CDC. My target is 10st 10lbs but I really want to lose more than that so I have to change my TICKER, but the hill ahead will look an even bigger challenge, maybe I'll have the courage to change it soon.

I have a huge worry about loose and excess skin...I had my little girl 2 1/2 years ago, she weighed (10lb 2oz 2 weeks early) so I now have a BELLY that is in a terrible shape, after having an emergency c section (I'm told that this makes a difference too) anywayyyyyyy, I have a feeling that I will need to go under the knife (we won't all have to, this is just my opinion about me), I'd be very scared to do it so will have to wait and see what the outcome is when all this weight has gone.

So, have you ever seen the DAILY thread?? We start a new thread every day with that day in the title and we just post as and when we want to, there is loads of support on the daily so will keep up on the straight and narrow,,,it would be great if you popped in.

Good luck to you xxx

This worries me too but I'm not sure theres an answer the suits all. As Mike says its a case of losing the weight & then dealing with it afterwards. A bit of skin is going to cause us less problems then excess weight in the long run! If anyone does have the answer then share it with us please please please!!!!

I agree, I'd rather have to worry about excess skin than excess weight. I did think that although I have a goal weight in mind if excess skin is a big problem I may stop at a slightly heavier, but still much healthier weight.

I am sooo looking forward to having to worry about it!

Thanks guys for your responses, much appreciated. Yes, I agree getting the weight off is more important but I am mildly freaked out at the prospect of loose skin but know that this should not put me off.

I am feeling really motivated I think that I will use a body firming cream on a daily basis and some toning exercises rather than cardio exercises I think that this would probably help and was advice given by my CDC.

Thanks once again,

Nicola

good advice icemoose!

Hiya Nicola, welcome to minimins....we have a similar amount of weight to lose and I too have been gaining on average a stone a year.
I've gone from 8 st 2lb...all the way up to 15st 10lbs at my first weigh in (WI) with my CDC. My target is 10st 10lbs but I really want to lose more than that so I have to change my TICKER, but the hill ahead will look an even bigger challenge, maybe I'll have the courage to change it soon.

I have a huge worry about loose and excess skin...I had my little girl 2 1/2 years ago, she weighed (10lb 2oz 2 weeks early) so I now have a BELLY that is in a terrible shape, after having an emergency c section (I'm told that this makes a difference too) anywayyyyyyy, I have a feeling that I will need to go under the knife (we won't all have to, this is just my opinion about me), I'd be very scared to do it so will have to wait and see what the outcome is when all this weight has gone.

So, have you ever seen the DAILY thread?? We start a new thread every day with that day in the title and we just post as and when we want to, there is loads of support on the daily so will keep up on the straight and narrow,,,it would be great if you popped in.

Good luck to you xxx
Hi Sophia Jo

I have been trying get my head ariund this stie for a week or so, I think I must be thick, I cannot seem to understand the forum and threads. I would love to see the daily thread that you have mentioned, but how do i get to see it????????????

I returned to cambridge diet yesterday and could certainly do with a bit of encouragement.

Also how do you get the tickers at the bottom of your posts

Jan

Hi Sophia Jo

I have been trying get my head ariund this stie for a week or so, I think I must be thick, I cannot seem to understand the forum and threads. I would love to see the daily thread that you have mentioned, but how do i get to see it????????????

I returned to cambridge diet yesterday and could certainly do with a bit of encouragement.

Also how do you get the tickers at the bottom of your posts

Jan

hiya Jan, yep, it can be akward at first finding your way around the place, follow these steps to find the DAILY THREAD....I have put the link to it in this post if you need to use it but may be an idea to follow the steps to get used to it, it's easy when you know how:

got to top of this page and look at the blue boxes with titles in...look and CLICK on FORUM JUMP, then look down the list and go to CAMBRIDGE DIET FORUM and click on it... page down to the second solid blue bar and you will see a number of threads including It's Wednesday, lets do it hour by hour XXX, started off by me today, anyone can start it, first up usually does it. There ya go hun. Here is the link just incase you need it:

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/20534-its-wednesday-lets-do-hour-hour-xxx.html

GOOD LUCK, will get the ticker add for you now.... Tickerfactory.com
CLICK ON IT AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CREATE YOUR OWN...
best of luck xxx

Hi Nicola,

I too have PCOS and am apple shaped with most of my weight around my middle... it's not far is it.. :(

I think what Mike has said makes so much sense.. weight is going to harm you much much more than some loose skin. A lot of the symptoms of the PCOS are bought on with the excess weight (which of course is a double battle because obesity is a symptom as well). One of the main reasons I'm trying to lose the weight is so that I try and avoid some of the other symptoms like Diabetes and Heart Condition...

My healthy BMI would take me to 10st 5lb which currently means I've another 4st to lose and at the moment by belly is jelly belly - I'm just hoping with the water that all the little fat pockets will disappear - have you read Mike's post on why we need to drink water.. it's very enlightening...

Good luck and if you want to email me regarding the PCOS - feel free.

xx

Baggy Skin - Slimmping Pants

Just had a thought -

When someone has liposuction after the operation they have to wear restricting clothing ie if you have lipo on thighs then you have to wear the 'slimming pants' that pull you in...this helps the skin adhere to your body from missing the fat layer..

Just wondered if this might help us - cos its roughly the same thing loosing the fat under the skin and suddenly too...

What do you think?

Gilly

Wearing lipo pants to reduce cellulite and tone the stomach (without having had lipo) has been getting some marketing recently. I've been thinking of getting some, though they're pricey and I'm not sure a £20 pair of Spanx wouldn't do the same trick. Lipo panty seem to be the main brand - there's magazine articles and things here
Health Wholesale Direct Beauty

I got my slimming pants from Idealworld.tv

can also get them from QVC...

they are suck you in pants...and can be tough to get on...they have longer legs (to the knee)

Hi Nicola,

Have a wee look at this web site, im going to be relying on these body wraps to help deal with the loose skin as I have 9stone approx to lose and as a wee note I also have PCOS!

Universal Contour Wrap

I had a course of 3 body wraps from feb to june and I lost 37inches all over I was mega pleased, that was during CD when I was sticking to it although I have fallen by the wayside no ones fault but my own, but working towards sticking in there again.

If you have any questions about the wraps just ask, it was a Shapechangers Detox wrap I had done at a place in East Kilbride.

Whereabouts in Ayrshire are you? I love the beach in ayr, if you can find a spot tho lol!

Hugz

Emma
xxxx

Thanks guys for your responses, much appreciated. Yes, I agree getting the weight off is more important but I am mildly freaked out at the prospect of loose skin but know that this should not put me off.

I am feeling really motivated I think that I will use a body firming cream on a daily basis and some toning exercises rather than cardio exercises I think that this would probably help and was advice given by my CDC.

Thanks once again,

Nicola

Hi Nicola

I think Icemoose is spot on about this.. it does vary from person to person. With my weight loss I have a huge amount of excess skin now and face the prospect of surgery. I have exercised but it is, for me in any case, not going to solve the problem. I would definitely recommend toning exercises from the word go, and swimming too. Your CDC has given you great advice :) (they usually do!)

My daughter sets me straight every time I get down about the skin.. she is 18 and just stands and looks me in the eye and says: 'Well, at least it's skin and not fat and it won't kill you!' :)

Hope you don't let the prospect of the skin bother you too much, I know people on here who have lost what you are going to lose and they have had no problems with skin at all :D

Good luck and happy slimming :D x

Re: the loose skin - I thin it depends on your expectations and different parts of the body may be okay while athers are not.

For me, I am not too bothered about the tummy. It seems to be shrinking a bit and I hope to get pregnant at the end of all this - so it'll need room to expand again!

On the other hand, I am quite disappointed with the bingo wings I've developed - and I'm not even halfway there yet! had to buy a cardy this morning to cover them up...

My inner upper thighs are the other problem area. I hope they will tone but I can't see where the skin will go to...

I'll never have a bikini body but better to look like one of those really wrinkly dogs than be almost 20stone and childless!

4 stone down for me and no excess skin so far, I am very surprised.

I have excess skin and don't look great naked... but fully clothed, I think I'm the only one who knows where my bad bits are hidden so I definitely would NOT be up for a triple body lift (which is what a surgeon told me I'd need). Just reading about IM's experience reinforced my thoughts, and I refused this 2 years ago (and the tummy tuck would have been the second step for me).

I can't honestly think that being covered in scars would make me look any better in a bikini than I would now with my wobbly bits and loose skin, so I'll stick how I am...

As others have said, it's better than being fat at least!

Good luck!

Back