Exercise Advice Please

CJ_06

Hello everyone. I'm wanting to start doing some exercise however I have a problem with my foot so I cannot be on it for long or too much pressure in my heel area, therefore I can't do much walking. I am doing some swimming however I'd like to ask advice on buying some sort of low impact exercise machine? I'm a self confessed lazy bones and would like something I can do daily in front of the tv. I weigh 21 st so it would also need to take my weight. Cross trainer? Exercise bike? Etc? Any advice or ideas?
Thank you very much :)

Any of those things. There will be a max weight on them when you buy it, I'm sure you'll be fine with any of the machines.

BTW, please can you post threads like this in the "off topic" sub forum.

Why not have a look at seated exercises. If you Google "seated exercise" there are loads of websites with information.

They are mainly aimed at older people, but are suitable for anyone who can't put too much weight on their feet.

jaylou said:
Any of those things. There will be a max weight on them when you buy it, I'm sure you'll be fine with any of the machines.

BTW, please can you post threads like this in the "off topic" sub forum.

I'm using the iPhone app which doesn't show full titles of each sub forum. Or say which forum subject this one is? What title is this forum then?

Seating exercises sound like a good idea, thank you :)

I'm using the iPhone app which doesn't show full titles of each sub forum. Or say which forum subject this one is? What title is this forum then?

When you click on 'Slimming World' you'll see 'Threads' 'Stickies' click on 'threads' and the 9th one down says 'Slimming World Off Topic'

Hope thats the answer you were looking for! :)

CJ_06 said:

If you turn your phone sideways it will show the first title :) HTH

I have a cross trainer & must admit its quite strenuous, I find I can't do too long on it without getting worn out. I also have an exercise bike (the foldable Davina one from Argos) & it's great. I know sitting down means you may not burn as many calories as standing but I can easily stay in it 30mins to an hour & you can up the intensity. I also use had weights while I'm in it to try & get more of a full body workout. I think you'd find it wouldn't put any strain on your heel either.

LisaC said:
I have a cross trainer & must admit its quite strenuous, I find I can't do too long on it without getting worn out. I also have an exercise bike (the foldable Davina one from Argos) & it's great. I know sitting down means you may not burn as many calories as standing but I can easily stay in it 30mins to an hour & you can up the intensity. I also use had weights while I'm in it to try & get more of a full body workout. I think you'd find it wouldn't put any strain on your heel either.

I have a treadmill must admit its a great clothes horse!!! :rolleyes:

I have a cross trainer and I find it low impact on my joints. I have an arthritis type thing going on in my ankles, knees and hips and have found the x trainer to be one of the best machines for me. I also have a treadmill and bike but don't find these work well for me.

I'd love to swim as an exercise but I can't swim! How bad is that?!

If you want a good cardio workout then boxing (seated) is low impact but quick punches get the heart rate up quickly and u can do a minute,rest a minute,do a minute then increase the reps as u get more fit xx

I have a cross trainer and I find it low impact on my joints. I have an arthritis type thing going on in my ankles, knees and hips and have found the x trainer to be one of the best machines for me. I also have a treadmill and bike but don't find these work well for me.

I'd love to swim as an exercise but I can't swim! How bad is that?!

Could you learn? Such a good form of exercise.

LisaC said:
Could you learn? Such a good form of exercise.

I went to swimming lessons a few years ago to improve my technique and would def reccommend it to any non swimmers...never too old to learn x

Rowing Machines are good Cardio.
If you join a Gym they have a selection of bikes, a recumbent one, or mine has uprights but with chair seats (saves your bum bones!) lots of targeting machines too.

Is your foot pain due to heel spurs/plantar fasciitis? If so a trip to the chiropodist helps no end! The right Orthotic insoles can change your life! (I have fallen arches and over pronation and suffered with Plantar Fasciitis and the insoles cured the pain!

I would suggest a bike (The Davina foldable bike looks great) or cross trainer, a rower might put too much pressure on your foot when you push off as you have a problem with your foot. You could also get some handweights and do upper body weight exercises which can easily be done seated - bicep curls, tricep back curls, shoulder press, chest presses (lying on the floor/bed), back presses.

swimming is an excellent exercise and as the water takes your weight it won't matter at all about your foot.

Good luck.

Nikipinknickers said:
Im not sure, would i not look a bit daft going to swimming lessons?!

Maybe i should find someone to drag along with me.... Lol :D

check the pools in your area for adult swimming lessons. both in my area advertise them. I think they are 6 week courses.

I went swimming for the first time in about 2 years yesterday. was absolutely wrecked after it! planning to go back Sunday :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back