Exercise and a dodgy knee

ceebeee

Silver Member
I've recently been doing some exercise to help me get fit and shift the flab. The only thing I really enjoy doing (other than my samba class) is cycling, but my knee has been giving me some horrible pain. I've always had a bit of a clicky, dodgy knee. Had scans and xrays and all sorts but no one can find anything wrong. Now I've done my bronze body magic, I'm working on my silver and the only thing stopping me is my knee!

Does anyone have any suggestions for types of exercise I can try out that isn't swimming (I have very bad self confidence and there is zero chance of anyone ever seeing me in a swimming cossie in public) or running (booring!!) :)

I've not long had a hip operation and got arthritis in my left knee (so painful) and if I remembered one thing the physio told me was not to run because its very high impact so that's that. He advised me to use the cross trainer, static bikes and rowers. All great cardio but very low impact to the joints. The worst thing you can do is not exercise because of the pain. I find with my hip especially is that if I don't exercise it hurts most days even just getting up makes me very stiff and sore, stairs on my knee also hurt yet when I've exercised the pain is much less. Yes it hurts when I am actuality exercising but the benefits out of the gym are greater

Hope this helps x

Thanks for the replies. I go to dance classes once a week which doesn't hurt my knee at all really but the cycling is to keep me busy throughout the week.

I know the benefits of exercising are much better than not doing anything so I'll plough on but think I might go back to the docs because I don't want to do any major damage :) Maybe I'm just getting old, hah!

Back