Extra lean mince (any meat)

clairep

Hello, starting again with the added bonus of hubby now being based at home and happy to do some cooking for me.

read a few threads, having searched but they were quite old. Is extra lean <5% fat?

Yes I believe that lean is generally below 10-12% dependant upon the meat and extra lean (and therefore free) would be generally under 5%.

Im basing that upon packaging I have bought though.

[GOOGLE-VIDEO][/GOOGLE-VIDEO]
Yes I believe that lean is generally below 10-12% dependant upon the meat and extra lean (and therefore free) would be generally under 5%.

Im basing that upon packaging I have bought though.

thanks all for info and advice, will check

But even though less than 5% you should still check online for your particular brand as not all less than 5% fat minces are free :)

Really? I#ve just searched extra lean mince in SW and all the 5% fat ones are coming up as free...

if any food packaging makes any claims (e.g. lighter/ low fat/lean ect) they have to prove the statement on the label using nutritional data. So in the case of lean meat the packaging would have to indicate its fat content.

if any food packaging makes any claims (e.g. lighter/ low fat/lean ect) they have to prove the statement on the label using nutritional data. So in the case of lean meat the packaging would have to indicate its fat content.

As far as I know there is no legan definition of what constitutes extra lean etc. Lean mince could be anything from 6% fat up to 20% fat which is a huge difference :(

Aldi extra lean mince is <5% fat but is not free - its 1.5 syns for the packet xx

is that the official line or is it what it works out at when calculated with a free food value? I looked it up on syns online but it doesn't have the info? I'm interested because I have started shopping here! :-o

is that the official line or is it what it works out at when calculated with a free food value? I looked it up on syns online but it doesn't have the info? I'm interested because I have started shopping here! :-o

That is worked out on the syn calculator including the free food allowance and confirmed by someone calling the syn helpline x

ETA Just clarify that is the turkey mince as I was not aware some aldi stores do extra lean steak mince. Can't comment on that one sorry x

Last edited:
That's VERY interesting. Thanks! :)

As far as I know there is no legan definition of what constitutes extra lean etc. Lean mince could be anything from 6% fat up to 20% fat which is a huge difference :(

Sorry I didn't make myself very clear in my last post!

-The only legally protected name is 'lean' and mince under this name musty be less than 7% fat
-Any food making a health claim must back themselves up with nutritional information on the packaging, if something claims to be 'lean' they must then state the fat content.
-Beef that is 5% fat or less is free on the plan.
-Percentages of fat in lean mince can vary from 7% or less, but the fat content will always be stated on the packaging. So its a bit of a pain finding brands that are less than 5% but what I am trying to say is that we can make an informed choice by having a closer look at the packaging.

Not sure how that can be right hun as there are minces on the supermarket shelf labelled as lean with a higher fat content than that. Unless I have misunderstood what you are saying sorry.

All the asda ones labelled lean mince are typically less than 12% fat as are aldi and are all higher than 7%.
Waitrose lean mince is 10% fat.
Same with tesco and sainsbury ones. The sainsbury frozen lean mince comes in at 15% fat.

And I have seen ones that are higher than even that.

SW considering anything less than 12% to be lean mince

Wow really! I work in the food industry and used Nottingham food law website to check the 7% claim, its never failed me in the past.

Did head office say use less than 12% and its free? In the back of the food optimising book P70 it says less than 5% is free.

I'm intrigued...

Wow really! I work in the food industry and used Nottingham food law website to check the 7% claim, its never failed me in the past.

Did head office say use less than 12% and its free? In the back of the food optimising book P70 it says less than 5% is free.

I'm intrigued...

Lean mince is usually around 12 per cent fat and is synned

Extra lean mince, as long as less than 5 per cent and not from aldi is free

Back