Fat Content - in me, not a packet!

Mrs Lard

Silver Member
Hello Minis

I've been meaning to post this for ages. Last week I had a blood pressure check up and a supposed fat check. The nurse had told me the week before that we could measure my fat. When I turned up, she said it was a mix up and she just meant BMI!

So, as I am not a member of a gym, how can I find out what my fat levels are?

I also don't live in London (or any other big city) so restricted with chemist outlets, etc.

I'd be happy to buy scales if they are reliable (unlike my own!).

Any advice? Would really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks a lot.

Mrs L xxx

I have an Omron body fat analyser that I bought for clients that was 49.99 from memory.

I have to say though it doesn't give that accurate a result :-(

M.

Dont the new scales in Boots measure fat content, I remember they showed mine at 44% and I almost had a heart attack!

Yes, yo-yo is right, those scales at Boots do measure BMI, fat content, weight and height and then they tell you what the acceptable levels are for somebody of your age, height and gender. All for 70p. I did one close to starting lighterlife and my fat percentage was over 50% - :eek:. They are quite helpful but make sure you stand up straight for height or all the normal values will be wrong for you!

Lloyds pharmacy sell a hand held body fat analyser for £4.99. Google Lloyds pharmacy and find the website to locate one near you.

I bought it the other day when I had my BP checked and I don't know if it is 100% accurate but it was quite close to the gym scales result - so it could be right.

Thank you so much everyone; I shall see what's in Boots and take it from there!!

Really appreciate speedy responses.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Mrs Lxxxx

I have the tanita scales at home that also measure body fat and am generally quite pleased and confident in their readings. You basically have to specify your gender, your height and then just step on barefoot.
When I started LL my bodyfat was a whopping 49%:eek::eek: but now hovers around the 37%. I can hop on the scales quite obsessively lately to measure my bodyfat and have found out that as with weight, it can fluctuate quite a bit (probably depending on how much water I had, time of day etc....) One lovely morning I was even down to 35% but by afternoon it was up to 38% again. It should be quite reliant though if you only do this at the same time of day every time you measure. For me they were well worth the money.

Hi Julia

What with my twice-daily weighing rituals, these could be just the ticket! LOL! Please can you specify the model??

Will hunt them down if our local Boots does not offer the 70pence moment of truth!

Have a good weekend.

Mrs Lxxxxx

I bought mine quite a while ago. There are probably newer and fancier models out there. Mine just does the basis bodyfat, no fancy extra bits but does the job for me. it's definitely a Tanita. If you would like I can check the exact model at home later. Maybe you can snap one of those dinosaurs up on ebay....

I got some pretty good ones from Argos - I think they're Salter - I managed to go from 50% to about 22% - I've lost over 92lbs of fat!

Back