Fat Experiences

I think the things that hurt me the most are the comments made by loved ones and they're only little comments and probably don't sound too harsh compared to some stories but I think they're the worst.

Like you shouldn't be eating that etc etc
Or coke is really bad for you you shouldn't have that.

Or even telling my dad about a friend who got married the other day and she went to be measured for her dress and the dressmaker said it was the smallest waist she had measured and my dad said you won't have that problem. Or something along those lines.

I also hate how every conversation is about weight, slimming world, exercise etc etc!! I often think if I was thin what would we talk about lol!!! I also hate being dictated to or lectured at!! I am 24 I know coke is bad for me you know what I mean???

I've also had people shout at me from across the road, water balloons chucked at me in the park, my work uniform be a little tight and my boss tell me to order a new one to find out it stops at a size 20.

And I've had the pregnant remark too : (

Never had the pregnancy remark but terrified of it happening. I did have the rollercoaster thing- with a little bit of a push it went on thankfully, but that was a horrible experience.

My nan seems to be the worst commentator on my weight, but never directly or intentionally. Even things like "look how nice and slim your sister is", things like that. Yet at the same time she'll try and stuff me full of food. Her favourite thing seems to be offering me stuff from supermarket "better for you" brands, and then saying "well because it's good for you, have two!" etc. SO infuriating.

I've often got comments from usually a few lads together " look at the size of her" it's such a horrible feeling to be talked about like that.

I once walked past a group of chav lads and one of them said 'someone's taught a dog to walk backwards' nice!

I'll have the last laugh though when I'm slim and they're checking me out, they'll not be calling me a dog's arse then.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MiniMins

I remembered another one today... my mentor at uni telling me to wear men's clothes as women's clothes weren't really flattering at my size... I was only about a 22/24 at that point...

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

At a recent family bbq, my uncle, who hasnt seen me for a while, took one look at me and - before even saying hello - said "jesus christ youve got bigger! never mind it makes me look slimmer when I stand next to you"

Later that day, my 14 year old cousin held his arms out as wide as he possibly could to show me how big I was. Great thanks for that!

And to top all this recent fun off, last night whilst walking our dog with my boyfriend, a bunch of young lads drove past, with one sticking his arm out the window pointing at me and shouted "YOU'RE FAT!" Wow 10 out of 10 for observation, honestly!

So to summarise, a bad few days for me lol

Samprand - that really sucks :( *hug*

Dont know what to say really, I guess all the stuff about just ignoring them but I know its really bloody hard! Just focus on your weight loss effort and know that it will be a huge middle finger up to all those gits that made fun of you :)

Just thought of another- this one was my definite lightbulb moment, come to think of it. I was called another name in class at uni- thought nothing of it for a while, as he got mixed up but I was being called the name of the other fat girl in the class, never anyone else's! This was fine though as I'm friends with her anyway.

But the worst one was when he called me the name of someone I hadn't heard, she turned out to be in the year below. The loudmouth of our class chipped in and said "I called (her) (Dreamings) the other day, you do look alike! It's your... your... hair! And you both wear glasses." I shrugged it off, but looked this girl up on facebook that night. She's fat, of course, that's what miss loudmouth was trying not to say. We do look somewhat alike, but I thought she was bigger than me, although I was probably a bit in denial and was just as big as her.

That has stayed with me, and I'm determined that if I'm ever at a reunion or see that girl or lecturer again, I can show them that I'm not just the class fatty. It was awful to realise that that's what I was though!

StepUpFairy - thanks hun! i think what makes it worse is cuz some of the comments were from family, the chavvy lads i can ignore, they probably need something to do to fill up their day between signing on at the dole and driving around in the car their mum and dad pay for lol i think its worse when it comes from family though, i know other people on this thread have had the same, it almost feels like a betrayal of some kind

Dreamings, im at uni at the mo (or will be when we go back in september) and im terrified the only way lecturers will remember who i am is by thinking "sam? oh yeah the fat one!" i know exactly what u mean about what loudmouth was avoiding saying, sometimes its almost as if u want to say "im fat we all know it just say it!" :(

Sometimes when people say nasty things its just to hide their own insecurities

Thanks Sophie :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

...Only just fitting on Air ride at alton towers, and needing them to push the bar down enough for it to be safe and then the harness not raising at the end because of said force and them having to get a key to release it whilst everyone was waiting to get on the ride :O

and more recently being told by management that image is everything and If I wanted to progess I needed to think about these things!!!

Rainstar. That last one is awful! Surely they can't say that to you.

I think people are just inherently nasty. The only thing that stops most people being rude is the social implications of it.

Being called a fat c**t at 12 years old by a complete stranger- size 12, 5' 1", about 9 stone. This has stuck with me since then and I can't ever forget it. I think this comment shaped part of me always seeing myself as fat.

Being asked numerous times if I was pregnant at 13/14/15/16 - size 12/14.

Wearing shorts over tights (17) and having two middle aged men tell me I shouldn't be wearing shorts with legs as fat as mine, that I had monstrous thighs, and I was a fatty.

Numerous/countless times guys have shouted fat remarks at me.

i had someone call me a fat, ugly "c word" yesterday- on my way home from SW...

this is after losing just under 3 stone....

even though i was BUZZING because i lost 4.5lb....i just wanted to give up :(

little_bubblez said:
i had someone call me a fat, ugly "c word" yesterday- on my way home from SW...

this is after losing just under 3 stone....

even though i was BUZZING because i lost 4.5lb....i just wanted to give up :(

Don't do that! If you give up, all the ignorant, abusive b******s will have won. Prove you're better than all of them!

Don't do that! If you give up, all the ignorant, abusive b******s will have won. Prove you're better than all of them!

My theory is (just today- it'll pass...hopefully :( ) that even if i *do* get to target- there will be people who will rip into my height, or my hair, nose, eyes, anything

People will always be horrible, evil sob's, and really, a small part of me is losing weight so i can be accepted, and not just be known as "the tall, fat one".

I've lost nearly 3 stone and i'm still horrendously overweight. I'm going to be battling constantly for another year at least to get to a "healthy weight" and even then- people will find ways of knocking my confidence into the ground

*sigh*

i dunno....just seems that life's a bit sh*t right now- and someone insulting me like that doesnt help :(

My theory is (just today- it'll pass...hopefully :( ) that even if i *do* get to target- there will be people who will rip into my height, or my hair, nose, eyes, anything

People will always be horrible, evil sob's, and really, a small part of me is losing weight so i can be accepted, and not just be known as "the tall, fat one".

I've lost nearly 3 stone and i'm still horrendously overweight. I'm going to be battling constantly for another year at least to get to a "healthy weight" and even then- people will find ways of knocking my confidence into the ground

*sigh*

i dunno....just seems that life's a bit sh*t right now- and someone insulting me like that doesnt help :(

Yes, people will always be horrible, but YOU won't always be overweight :) You can change your weight, they can't change being tw*ts. Congrats on the 4.5 lbs loss btw :D

Back