Favourite maintenance recipes

herewego

Gold Member
Hi fellow maintainers!

As we all have our ups and downs maintaining the weight we've lost I though it would be good to have a thread where we can share our favourite recipes for maintenance. This is not the place for bread recipes or cheese cakes, however delectable, but for those meals that aid us in our hard work to remain slim.

I'll start us off, but it would be really good if we could all chip in as I could do with some inspiration and new recipes to try out.
:talk017::talk017:

Butternut Squash and Lentil Curry

Serves 4, 200 calories per serving (not including rice)

500g (1lb) Butternut sqush, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
0.5 tbsp oil
100g red lentils
2 tbsp thai curry paste (green or yellow best unless you like it really hot)
1 can chopped tomatoes
500 ml stock
coriander (optional)

1. Fry the onion in oil for 5 minutes until soft
  2. Add the curry paste and cook (gently) for a minute or so.
  3. Add all the other ingredients, stir and bring to boil.
  4. Either simmer or place in a medium (170 degrees or so) oven for 30 minutes or until the BNS is cooked.
  5. Stir in coriander if using and serve with rice.
Enjoy!

BNS Risotto

Serves 2, 420 calories per portion

500g Butternut Squash
3 garlic cloves
1 leek
120g Risotto rice
600 ml veg or chicken stock
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
  • Peel and chop the BNS into fairly small dice.
  • Put the BNS and garlic cloves (unpeeled) in a roasting tin, sprinkle with olive oil and roast in oven for 30 minutes until nicely roasted.
  • In the meantime, chop the leek and fry (with a little water if needed) until soft.
  • Add the rice and stir around for a minute or so making sure the rice doesn't burn
  • Add a ladle of stock and stir until absorbed.
  • Add another stock and proceed as above. Keep doing this until most or all of the stock is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
  • Just before the last ladle is absorbed (i.e. the rice is still a little wet) add the roast BNS. Take the garlic and squeeze the insides, which should now be soft and mellow in taste, into the risotto. Taste between each one to avoid the garlic becoming over powering.
  • Add the parmesan and then cover with a lid of foil for a few minutes.
Eat!

This is really nice with some sage leaves chopped up and fried with the leeks. I also often only roast half the amount of BNS and cook and puree the rest and add to the rice during cooking (i.e. half way through adding the stock).

Lentil & Lemon Soup

Serves 4. 110 calories per portion

Ingredients
  • 175g Lentils, Red, Dried, Sainsbury's
  • 10ml Juice, Lemon, Fresh, Average
  • 10g Thyme, Fresh, Average
  • 7.5ml Oil, Olive, Average
  • 15g Tomato Puree, Italian, Princes
  • 1 Can/400g Tomatoes, Chopped, in Tomato Juice, Sainsbury's
  • 1 Med/180g Onions, Raw, Average
  • 1 Clove/3g Garlic, Raw, Average
  • 1½ Servings/22.5ml Bouillon, Chicken, Touch of Taste, Knorr
Method

Fry the onion in the oil for 10 minutes. Add the lentils and the stock. Bring to boil. Add everything else (keep some thyme back) apart from the lemon juice and simmer for around 20 mins (you may need to top up with water). Add lemon, thyme and seasoning to taste.

Great idea for a thread Ally, thank you. I've got some lovely recipes to share . I love cooking from scratch and these are some of my fave's and they really fill me up.

Bean and Vegetable Chilli

Serves 4, 303 calories per portion

2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Onions, Chopped
2 tsp Caster Sugar
250g Chestnut Mushrooms Sliced
2 Garlic Cloves
2 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
1 tbsp Ground Coriander
290-350g Jar of Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
300ml Vegetable Stock
410g Can of Chickpeas, drained
410g Can of Black-eye beans, drained

1, Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions and sugar until golden. Add the mushrooms, garlic, chilli powder and ground coriander and fry for 2-3 minutes
2, Stir in the pepper sauce, stock, chickpeas and beans and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.

Nice and hearty for the winter months, you can always add some creme fraiche at the end just to cream/lighten it up a bit.

Just brilliant!! So exciting, they all look so yummy!! Sorry, no time to add anything here, just so pleased to find this!!:D

Keralan Fish Curry

Serves 6, 272 calories per serving (not incl rice)

Ingredients

• 2 lb 0 oz Monkfish, Raw
  • 400g Coconut, Milk, Blue Dragon
  • ½ Cube/5g Stock Cubes, Fish, Knorr
  • 1½ Tbsps/22.5g Tamarind, Paste, Barts
  • 2 Sm Onions/180g Onions, Raw, Average
  • 2 Red Chillies, Raw, Unprepared, Average
  • 1oz/28g Ginger, Root, Raw, Pared, Average
  • 1 Tbsp/15ml Oil, Extra Vergine Olio De Oliva, Gentile, Bertolli
  • 1 Tsp/5g Cumin, Seeds, Ground, Schwartz
  • 2 Tsps/6g Turmeric, Powder
Method

1. Cut the fish into bite-sized pieces (any firm white fish will do as Monkfish is wildly expensive - King Prawns are also nice) and rub with a little salt and 1 tsp of Turmeric. Put in the fridge to marinade while you do the rest.

2. Slice the onions into fine half moons and gently fry in the olive oil for about 5 minutes (don't let them brown). Slice the chillis and add to the pan. Slice the ginger and then cut the discs into small match sticks and add to the pan. Fry for another couple of minutes. Add cumin and turmeric and fry for another minute.

3. In a measuring jug add tamarind paste and coconut milk and then fill up to the litre mark with fish stock. Mix and add to the onions. The sauce is now done and can be left for a few hours if you are cooking in advance.

4. Just before you eat add the fish to the sauce and heat through until the fish is cooked but still tender.

Serve with Jasmine rice.

Please note that this is meant to be quite liquid. If you prefer a thicker sauce simply use less stock. Personally I love having lots of sauce that soaks into my rice!

Serves 6 (or 4 very generous servings)

(Nigella recipe copied from my recipes on the weight loss resources web site which is why the ingredients have the brands included. Please substitute with whatever brand you like)

A good recipe list link

Hi HWG, DM and Bess,

This recipe link is a great idea, thanks SB. I noticed on another thread that Butterfly had posted a link to a long list of recipes she wanted share with CDers who were moving into 810. I think they go well with what you are doing and hope Butterfly (and you) will not mind me putting her link here, as well. I'll see if I can add recipes to this thread, as well.

From Butterfly,

I started 810 last week, also after 19 wks! Loving it so far, but its a bit wierd having to think about cooking for self. I condensed some of the 810 recipes on here, so easier to get ideas. Posted on here if want.
http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-di...eal-ideas.html (810 meal ideas)
Good luck, you've done so well. Feels great doesn't it!! xx

I have got some more but will add later when kids are in bed and it isn't a game as to whom can punch the keyboard keys the hardest :)

Beef and Bean Hotpot

Serves 8, 362 calories per serving

750g Lean Minced Beef
1 Beef Stock Cube
2 Large Onions, thickly sliced
1.25kg Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 Cans of Baked Beans
Tabasco Sauce

1, Heat a large stock pot and fry the beef over a medium heat until browned, crumble in the stock cube and mix well
2 Add the vegetables and about 2 pints of boiling water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes
3 Tip in the baked beans, a few dashes of tabasco and give it a good stir.

I Sometimes add dumplings if i have it for dinner.
Makes loads and you can always freeze any leftovers.

Last edited:
Autumn Vegetable Soup

Serves 4, 151 calories per serving

1 Leek, sliced
2 Carrots, sliced
1 Potato, peeled and chopped
1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp Dried Rosemary
425ml Vegetable Stock
1/2 tsp Sugar
2 Cans of Tomatoes
1 Can Chickpeas, drained

1, Put the vegetables into a large saucepan with the garlic, rosemary, stock and sugar. Season and stir well, then bring to a simmer. Cover and cook gently for 15 minutes
2, Whizz the tomatoes in a food processor or blender until smooth, then tip into the vegetables with the chickpeas. Gently heat through and serve

Pork and Aubergine Curry

Serves 4, 293 calories per serving (not including rice)

1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Onions, sliced
1 Aubergine, diced
500g Lean Pork Fillet
2 Red Peppers, chunky slices
3 tsp Mild Curry Powder
400g Can Plum Tomatoes

1 Heat the oil in a large frying pan, tip in the onions and aubergine and fry for about 3 minutes until golden
2 Tip in the pork and fry for about 5 minutes or until browned, mix in the pepper strips and fry for a furhter 3 minutes.
3 Sprinkle in the curry powder, stir fry for a minute, then pour in the tomatoes and add 300 ml water. Give it a good stir and then cover an simmer for about an hour.

I serve with basmatti rice.

YUM DM the Pork and Aubergine curry sounds lovely.

This is a lovely curry - the original recipe uses normal potatoes but I prefer sweet pots. Would probably work with quorn mince...I don't have rice with this as the potatoes are enough, but a mini nan is a great side.

Skinny Keema Curry

Serves 4, 400 calories per serving (not incl rice)

Ingredients

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 tsp Coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1 large Sweet Potato
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
  • 1 MedPepper, chopped
  • 500g lean turkey or beef mince
  • small bag of spinach or handful of frozen spinach
  • 1 Can/400ml light coconut milk
  • 3 Tbsps Patak's curry paste
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.

2. Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes and boil for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.

3. Meanwhile chop the onion, red pepper, and spinach (if using fresh). Crush the garlic, coriander and cumin seeds.

4. Spray a pan with the oil and gently fry the onion for 3 minutes until softened, add the mince and fry for a further 5 minutes until browned.

5. Add the coriander, garlic, chilli and cumin and fry for a further 1 minute.

6. Stir in the tomato puree, spinach, peppers, potatoes, coconut milk, and curry paste and simmer for 1 minute.

7. Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole dish, cover and cook in the oven for 40 minutes.

8. Serve with warm naan bread or rice.

Back