February money challenge

Not really sure how to make them more joint though, he gets paid, transfers the money and I pay all the bills.

Even when I know that really I would like to pay this instead of buy that, I do give in because I feel guilty and bad for him.

How did you go about it please if you don't mind me asking?

£100 sounds more doable, I've managed £50 this month, and was on holiday for one of them.

Thank you :)

Our money has always gone into a joint account we have now opened individual accounts and our spend money gets put into there weekly, the aim is we will work towards or outs being divided up by a percentage of what we earn.
We go through the money together on broadsheet so we both know what's going out and where etc most of which goes out of the joint account by direct debits
It's a new thing for us but hopefully it will work, hubby says he is now more aware of what he's spending and is prioritising more.
Maybe your hubby would feel the same if he was more aware and more involved in what was going out? Xx

Interesting question, I don't have spending money I know what I have to pay for & know whats left & then spend that. Me & OH have our own bank accounts & each pay for different bills, but both put money in the joint account, sorry I'm no help at all.

All I can suggest is sit back down again & work out exactly how much is needed for bills/essentials, how much does OH really need for his commute to work, what does he spend his money on, then work from that, I know you feel guilty but if you haven't got the money, you haven't got it, it doesn't matter that he works & you don't. You can do other things for him instead, like making his favorite food for tea, nice little food treats, doing stuff around the house he hasn't had time to do, there are other ways to 'spoil' him.

I've got paid before payday, yippeeeeeeeeeeee, and this month for the first time since October I didn't go overdrawn which is fab. Not too sure about next month though, as I'm going to be booking my dads train & hotel for his birthday soon so that will take a fair bit of cash.

Just take it bit by bit and see what you can cut out. I agree £200 sounds a lot. I tried to do too much this month and bf and I were constantly at each there throats because of it. We sat down and went through it all together (usually I do it all myself) and he told me to take it slower or we would kill eachother so be careful you don't end up fighting lol

Doing my sums later as to what I have paid back over the month so will update you all.

Do you get a coffee every day!? That's a tenner a week. How about buying lunch? That's about £20-30 per week.

Anything like that you an easily identify? Anything you can go for unbranded in our food shop?

Yay to being paid before payday and no overdraft to clear! :) x

No probs, I forgot to add, if he doesn't like doing finances then don't make him do it, he won't be interested & may not be of any help!!!

I think he thinks I'm a magician because I always manage to find it from somewhere! Maybe I should make him find it and he will realise I didn't pluck it out of thin air lol

Just take it bit by bit and see what you can cut out. I agree £200 sounds a lot. I tried to do too much this month and bf and I were constantly at each there throats because of it. We sat down and went through it all together (usually I do it all myself) and he told me to take it slower or we would kill eachother so be careful you don't end up fighting lol

Doing my sums later as to what I have paid back over the month so will update you all.

Do you get a coffee every day!? That's a tenner a week. How about buying lunch? That's about £20-30 per week.

Anything like that you an easily identify? Anything you can go for unbranded in our food shop?

Oh fighting isn't good.
I don't buy coffees or anything like that.

I might do the box of receipts trick see if that works x

I think he thinks I'm a magician because I always manage to find it from somewhere! Maybe I should make him find it and he will realise I didn't pluck it out of thin air lol
Lol
Thing is we can only do that so many times to a point and then we come unstuck and when you are stressing about finding it and feeling guilty/ pressured because you want him to have the money he wants its hard work....been there!

Well the February results are in. I have paid off £260 of my credit card and paid back £100 of my overdraft!

We had to spend the money I put aside for savings in the end to get us through the end of the month but actually this isn't bad going I don't think.

Plan for March is to pay back £200 credit card and £200 overdraft if we can but as I said before, bf and I argued a lot about money this month so we are going to try and take it a bit easier so we don't get so stressed out! If it's not £200 on each then we won't worry. (A lot easier said then done for me!!)

How did everyone else get on?

Wow I would love to be in your position re overdraft. I will be happy when I have paid off a chunk of it so the next few months will be key for me. I need to keep the momentum up without turning into a crazy person like I did this month lol.

That's fab Sparty! :D

I managed to pay £250 off my overdraft (why won't they remove it? Too much temptation!) and £400 off catalogue so on track for avoiding charges (needs clearing by oct) x

Yay that's brill.

I managed to finish the month without going into my overdraft, which is the first time since October, I'm pleased with that, I had a few purchases to make in Feb so overall I think I did ok.

I didn't put all my savings money away as I needed to buy some stuff for our place in the sun!

That's great Michelle! I wish I had a place in the sun but I realise that the reality is probably very different to the fantasy ;) x

That's fab Sparty! :D I managed to pay £250 off my overdraft (why won't they remove it? Too much temptation!) and £400 off catalogue so on track for avoiding charges (needs clearing by oct) x

Good work pixie! Have you much left to clear on catalogue? I paid mine off a year or so ago and it felt great to have the weight lifted from my shoulders. I was always slipping past the buy now pay later and interest free periods. I am wary about buying things on catalogues now as I still have two catalogue accounts - should close them really lol. Sometimes I am tempted at Xmas but so far I haven't used them since paying them off.

I have always had an overdraft since getting a full time job. My rationale for having it is that if my wages are messed up, my mortgage will still be paid. At the moment that wouldn't happen anyway as I have spiralled into the overdraft over the last year or two. So I know it will take a long time to pay back but I think I'll always have one. A big will power test if ever there was one though!!

I have about a grand left. I did clear it last year and then everything broke (always the way) but I've never paid a penny in interest so works out cheaper than credit card so I cleared that and cancelled it last year.
Every time I make a payment they raise my limit! Grr!

Back