First weigh in total disaster put on weight

Latte

Silver Member
Well as it says I put on 0.5lbs which I am so upset about.
Consultant checked my diary and said I seemed to be following it properly but my syns should be less. I averaged about 14 a day.
Gutted is not the word. There is no real explanation for it.
I will update my food diary tomorrow for people to check.
I feel a failure

You are NOT a failure. 0.5 is nothing, could be from wearing different clothes. You probably have a bit of fluid retention and will have a good loss next week. Funnily enough the answer is to make sure you are getting enough to drink - so make sure you are not dehydrated.

Yeah clothing can alter your weight by 4lbs or more! I always try to wear the same.

As said above, make sure you drink plenty of water. Your body will retain it otherwise and you'll be heavier.

You are absolutely not a failure, hun. There could be a multitude of reasons why you gained half a pound - that's hardly anything in the grand scheme of things. I would suggest reading your SW handbook, re-reading it, and re-reading again :) That way you'll feel secure that you're following it properly - it can be a bit confusing at first!

Just stick with it for the next week and I'm sure your hard work will pay off. Remember to weigh/measure your healthy extras, and if you're on extra easy to fill 1/3 of your plate with superfree veg. Good luck!

Hi latte,
Don't be too gutted. The 1st week can go either way, some have a massive loss, some 1lb and some gain. Sometimes i think the body goes into shock thinking "Hang on, what's going on here?" If you stick to plan 100%, try and fill your plate with 1/3 freefoods (salad or veg) and drink lots of fluid I'm sure you'll have a fab 2nd week. I would just say that although you can have between 5 & 15 syns a day, generally it's best not to go over 10. Maybe try cutting these down for your 2nd week and see if that makes a difference. Good luck & keep going!

Thank you for all the kind responses x

I went in similar clothes to last week just a t shirt and trousers so wont be that.

Also at the gym on Sunday my personal trainer weighed me as she does each week and said I had lost nearly 4lbs so that means a near 4.5lb gain by Tuesday which is impossible.

I hae re-started the gym and did an hour pt session on Sunday with weights then Monday I did some cardio on the cross trainer so could it be that ?

It really could be anything, my first week they said I'd only lost half a pound even though my scales at home said I'd lost something like FIVE pounds! Could be time of the month, having a lot of fluid bulk inside you from drinking / eating lots that day, constipation, clothes/shoes, general variation in weight throughout the day. Dont base *anything* on one week's weight loss, give it at least a month. Weekly weigh can be a bit hazardous IMO as weight varies so much. My first week as I say they said I'd only lost half a pound - the next week they said I'd lost EIGHT. My scales at home begged to differ, saying I'd lost something like 5 and 3.5. *Everything* is variable, including scales - its the average over the long term that matters. Stick around and good luck x :)

Aww hang in there, I lost 4.5lbs on my first WI and then last night Was my second WI and I put half a pound back on. I ate so much in my first week and had a great loss but last week I was stressed and turned to wine instead if food. As disappointing as it is just stick with it.
Good luck xx

Going tonight for second weigh in. Fingers crossed

Hi latte,

Not sure about your usual exercise but I find whenever I diet and exercise I always seem to put on! It's so disheartening isn't it! I have done SW a few times but this time I have decided to avoid the gym and my only exercise be walking. I'm gonna do this until I hit my target and then go back to the gym to maintain target weight and use the weights to tone up.

I'm not saying that exercise isn't worth it because keeping fit is great for you, but for me it doesn't seem to help, well not my motivation anyways! Lol.

Have you took your measurements? You may still be losing inches if not pounds!

Good luck for tonight!xx

I lost 3.5lbs !

Just at the class so can't do smilies but I am ecstatic. Never lost this much in a week before by eating potatoes and pasta !

I used to exercise 3 hours a night but got very ill a couple of years ago and never regained my fitness. So I am starting back slowly again. Exercise keeps me sane !

I put on 1lb in my first week & was that angry with myself just left group for that night! Thought i was on it 100% but now I look back I know I wasnt :( but upwatds and onwards!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

i also put on 0.5 in my first week, hope i get a loss like urs in my second week! x

Back