From Maximus to Minimus - coming soon!

Maximus

Gold Member
I think I'll use these pages as a form of diary/blog. Not a food diary as such - can't see anyone interested in a list of food really:p

Will start in the new year - seems as good a time as any. Reason? - I feel my weight loss is slowing down naturally after some early gains. Perhaps now is the time for a few subtle changes, trying new things etc.

Writing things down always seems to help - it has done for planning meals, days, shopping - all aspects of SW to date. If nothing else it will keep me on track and focussed . I'm the lightest and fittest I have been for years. Throwing it all away is not an option!

Steve

I read your posts all the time and I am extremely inspired by you!
You've done amazingly well and im pleased that you are reaping the benefits- as you obviously deserve to!
I think that if you get into a habit at the start of something, you arent likely to forget it in the future, with writing it down, if it works for you- you can do it for the rest of your life!
Giving up for me isnt an option for me either, 5lb away from my BMI of 25, and as a Gym Instructor its highly embarrassing to make programmes and teach classes to others when your overweight.

Keep going, I dont need to tell you that I "hope" you do well, because you've already done amazingly and I know for a fact that you will carry this to the end and beyond target!
I think that when you get to target you should go for the magazine cover star too- i definitely think that you would be an inspiration to many.

Ruth
x

I read your posts all the time and I am extremely inspired by you!
You've done amazingly well and im pleased that you are reaping the benefits- as you obviously deserve to!
I think that if you get into a habit at the start of something, you arent likely to forget it in the future, with writing it down, if it works for you- you can do it for the rest of your life!
Giving up for me isnt an option for me either, 5lb away from my BMI of 25, and as a Gym Instructor its highly embarrassing to make programmes and teach classes to others when your overweight.

Keep going, I dont need to tell you that I "hope" you do well, because you've already done amazingly and I know for a fact that you will carry this to the end and beyond target!
I think that when you get to target you should go for the magazine cover star too- i definitely think that you would be an inspiration to many.

Ruth
x

Well done Steve,

I think this is a great idea. There are a number of people around who I'm sure will come and read your thread. Many of us can identify with the things written by others (which is helpful and supportive) and it will be good for you to read back when you're having a low moment for whatever reason. Also, I love reading people's blogs particularly when they are doing well because it is very inspirational and when they are finding things hard, I can sympathise and know it's not just me. I never thought when I started this that I might be an inspiration to others but now I think maybe I will be eventually ! You are too so thanks for doing this and watch the ticker counter go up !!!!

See you around.

Gail x

Aw Gail & Ruth that was so nice and very encouraging. I've never been an inspiration to anyone for anything before - perhaps an example as a bad role-model a few times.

Yes Ruth - I did read it twice:eek: lol.

My only concern was people might think it too much, too personal. People might not want to hear or read about such stuff. Public forums can do that - you can either love or hate people they really polarise opinion!

On a selfish level, it is for my benefit. On any other secondary levels, if it inspires, encourages or even discourages someone from following any errors I make then it will have succeeded!

I take great delight at reading the SW success stories - they inspired me no end! - In fact, my biggest change in attitude came from reading about and seeing other people's journey and losses. one day it just "clicked" - If they can do it, I can do it!

That positivity remains - anyone can do it and now I truly believe that, I think it can and for the first time, I think it will!

The attitude of "it always happens to someone else " was easy, perhaps too easy to hide behind.

Might actually be fun - following my (mis) adventures into the gym, re-starting a footy career at 46 - a few laughs on the way will help. Hopefully no tears or tantrums.

I think body magic & activity is the key - not spending so much time online for starters - oh the irony:p

My only concern was people might think it too much, too personal. People might not want to hear or read about such stuff.

I take great delight at reading the SW success stories - they inspired me no end! - In fact, my biggest change in attitude came from reading about and seeing other people's journey and losses. one day it just "clicked" - If they can do it, I can do it!

I think body magic & activity is the key - not spending so much time online for starters - oh the irony:p

Ha ha ha !

I wouldn't worry too much about what people think. I think that some of us will read it anyway and those that aren't interested, won't. If you see the counter dwindling over time when you post again you'll know why.......!!!

I agree about being inspired reading other stories and I have no doubt that you will do some inspiring of your own.

So, keep typing and we'll keep reading !!

Gail x

P.S. Love the title of your thread. I couldn't come up with a good name for mine but I love some of the others as well eg 'Pickle is pushing on' 'Shedding the wobble' etc !

Gail x

Ok then to start the diary, we'll go from today - 29/12/2010 - and last weigh-in of the year.

Today I managed 5.94 mile walk in just over 2 hours. I have sort of set myself a challenge of 50 miles walking over the 12 days of Christmas.

I had a potential banana skin at a family buffet tonight but was very good, a couple of black coffees and a pick at the healthy bits of the buffet - carrot sticks, celery, cucumber, peppers & pickled onion - I had to leave early or SW group - it would have been easy to miss group etc. but that would have meant me compromising my principles!

Can't have that now, can we?

1.5lb loss and SOTW in a week where most seemed to gain! - result! Anyone want some of these oranges lol.

Weight as of today and start of diary is a wonderful 12st 13.5lb - under 13st for the first time since 1985!

Feels like a massive psychological burden lifted from by shoulders. Looks like the road-work is paying off!

Steve

Well done on the loss!!!

I'm impressed with your walking challenge, i had never thought to do something like that: in fact im so impressed, i may steal the idea and do it myself sometime soon :) I love walking but only with my music on, otherwise it seems a chore.

I like reading your posts too. Its refreshing to get a mans insight into the weight loss process. Be as open and honest as you like, at the end of the day, if people don't like it, they don't need to read it!

Keep it up :)

Natalie x

Well done!

I'll be lurking around here too - a bit of inspiration never goes amiss!

And I wouldn't worry about stuff being too personal - a lot of our diaries are very much that way. I think it's almost a truism that, along with the weight that we've all been carrying, there is mental "baggage" that we have to shift, or at least redistribute in some way, as our physical shape changes. (ooooooh, deep!)

I may not be putting it very well, but what I mean to say is that sometimes it's easier to put the personal stuff on here, and share it with people we don't really know, and will never meet, but who are going through similar things, than it would be to share it with our nearest and dearest.

And if anybody does mind personal stuff - well, surely nobody's tying them down and forcing them to read this! Oh - sorry - you are, are you? Fair enough! I'll, ummm, just read it then. Daily. Of course. Yes sir.

Today I shopped! - bought some more of them clothes things with the strange label. They used to be XL and on occasion XXL - I seemed to bypass L and now get the ones with the letter M on them! - M for Magic!

Actually, I'm guilty of buying M stuff just because I can! - I just like the size - M for Madness I tell you!

I also decided time to try a pair of 36in jeans - I figured will be in them soon the way things are going. Tried them on and I'm in them already! - So, armed with my new M 3-in-1 hiking jacket, hiking shoes, size M sweatshirt, gloves and hat, setout for todays instalment of Body Magic.

I may have mentioned either here or another thread I plan on 60 miles walking over the 12 days of Christmas. Today I felt tired - heavy-legged and managed 5.26 miles in 1hr 51 minutes and 57 seconds (yes, there's an app for that!) the last mile taking over 22 minutes as I seemed to crawl up the bank lol.

I did treat myself to some crabsticks, prawns, cockles and mussels today - they will form part of my "seafood salad" I'm fond of the old shellfish, and it is quite healthy, though not exactly warming of a winter's night.

Tonight I'm going to try my first HIFI bar! - will report back tomorrow lol

Slightly concerned that despite walking 5+ miles a day for 6 consecutive days it isn't getting easier - in fact I feel more tired each finish, though I have a bit of a head cold - might be that.

See what tomorrow brings.

Steve

Another incident of note was a visit from my ex. We are still on good terms (as it should be) as we have ongoing commitments/arrangements etc. Was quite funny looking at each other complimenting on the losses. I'm obviously following SW, but she's just not eating properly she reckons. She said I looked well on being under 13st and she did too, admitting she was under 14st - or at least was until Christmas kicked-in lol. I'm glad we're mates as we only parted in February and nine and a half years of our lives were invested in that. Some people can't understand remaining friends, I can't understand some people!

Why did I mention that? - It is great when someone who means a lot to you and knows you well can give you an honest appraisal - means a lot - she even said she hoped I'd keep it off, and yes in a sincere way.

I've noticed, while I am off work, there is time for Body Magic and stuff, but my fruit intake is reduced! In fact it almost stops. I discussed this in group yesterday. I use it to snack on at work you see. I stocked up and will use it at home too.

Now I'm going to be all boring and watch a movie from the collection! - tonight it will be Billy Elliott - not watched it for a while.

Will plan my next few days of meals and possibly do tomorrows walk after breakfast - nice and early see if that helps or hinders.

hi steve well done on ur loss :clap: wish i could say the same but i put 5lb on :17729:did intend to follow s/w over the christmas period but a lifetime of bad habits are hard to ignore, i need to retrain my brain me thinks :sign0007:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU X

Great to hear about the shopping trip. How did the Hifi bars go ????? I'm on the edge of my seat. I won't sleep..............!

Glad you are getting lots of support from the people that you know and care about.

I am sure that you will feel the fitness in the long term but for now you will just feel tired. I remember a few years ago when I was running regularly, I thought it would get easier. It never did, I just could manage a bit (or a lot) more !

Gail x

5lb on Val? - blimey, at least you must have enjoyed the Christmas more than I lol. I'm sure you'll be taking it back off again - all in good time.

Especially for Gail - HIFI Bars. Now I'm no expert, in fact not even a chocolate lover, never tried cereal bars and not really a biccie fan - just the person to review a HIFI bar then lol. I purchased two packs - Orange chocolate and Mint Chocolate as they would be my favourite choccie flavours.

The mint choc one I tried had a nice "bouquet" (pretentious, moi, never!) but the taste was very much "chewy" when I expected (hoped for?) crunch - I was imagining a Jacobs Club texture so was disappointed. I actually finished the bar - despite my first impression and have tasted a lot worse. Obviously it contains fibre, but at 6 syns I'd sooner have either crisps or a two-fingered Kit Kat. Mind you, neither of those have a good fibre content, and they will be a source of a HEX B if I am stuck for ideas. I'll keep a stock of them - especially for when I am hiking.

Today's walk was better - less tired at the end - even after the incline. I discovered anotehr thing - for a part of the walk (between miles 3+4) I was joined by a couple of kids excitingly regaling the tale of the last football match I was at. For a half a mile or so, I joined them in conversation. That time flew by and the distance was nothing. I have come to the conclusion I am a gregarious creature! - I actually hate walking alone! - this explains my love for the rambler group I joined. I hate my own company and see the walk as a chore to be endured rather than a treat to be enjoyed!

I'm going to see if I can get any interest at the local group for anyone wishing to do walks in the local vicinity - I'll even lead it and tailor the distance involved.

Just realised it is new years eve tonight. Nothing planned, have got my liquers to hand so sort of having a drink in my own inimitable way:)

Movie for tonight is going to be Atonement! - for a movie lover, I am ashamed to admit I have never watched this yet! - all accompanied by the seafood salad platter I briefly mentioned yesterday. My own private new year buffet!

Raise a glass everyone! happy new year and happy hogmanay to all those north of the border.

My walk tomorrow will be a little different - as it is a new year, I will spend most of the day counting new birds. Birding is my hobby, and every year I start a new list to see how many different species I can see in a year. I will also be driving out to a lot of places too - can be obsessive this hobby malarkey.

Miles walked 5.98
Calories burned 400.8
Average speed 2.88 mph

hi steve i take it u mean the feathered kind lol, can't believe ur not keen on the mint hifi bars thought i'd died and gone to heaven when i tried them (but then i am easily pleased) re my 5lbs gain was expecting it to be 10 so i got off lightly :eat: enjoy ur buffet ( all s/w friendly i'm sure) xx

Hi Maximus,

Congrats on your achievements so far, you're a real inspiration.

Just a suggestion but have you heard of Geocaching? I got really into it a few years ago as a great way to add interest to a walk, a knee injury later I've had to put it on hold but can't wait to get my fitness up enough to be able to get started with it again. Might be worth a look.

Toni.

Where to start?

Val, of course I meant the feathered ones - they give much less grief! (oh-oh)

HIFI bars - yeah I can take or leave them - actually I can leave them lol - no sweet tooth here really but will try another tonight (loads of syns left).

Loved my NYE buffet last night. crispy salad, with cockles, mussels, crabsticks & prawns. Very tasty way to end the year :p

Geocaching sounds interesting, but I am finding a lack of free time of late with all the new interests - all great at present but back to work on Wednesday. Something to consider - I've already looked at GPS units - then again, I love gadgets:eek:

Didn't go out birdwatching "proper" today - though Durham RSPB group have a meeting tomorrow to do the annual New Year trip, so I'm planning on going with them - a bit of company will be nice.

Today I manged the following.

Total miles 5.27
Time 1hr 46 mins
Average speed 3MPH
Calories burned 164.7

Not sure of the calories as not much different to the day before - taken with a pinch of salt lol.

Oh and the first little dicky bird of 2011? - a beautiful bird - Long Tailed Tit! (see attached)

Boo! apparently can't attach a pic of little fella - if anyone knows how, please advise.

Back