From Maximus to Minimus - coming soon!

Walking is a great fitness tool! My old SW group would arrange a walk every fortnight between the morning and evening groups, wouldnt be too far but somewhere different everytime was really good.

Also, may sound odd but I know some really fit people who can not walk for long distances because they are fit in other stuff and its using different muscles. Doing so well you such an inspiration :)

Wow you do a lot of walking! Well done in the weight loss x

Dedicated to Valerie - my own personal drama queen lol.

For the first time in weeks I am ecstatic! The body magic strikes again. Not a bit here and there, but almost 8 miles in the Northumberland hills on a freezing day with snow and ice laying as we climbed the hills!

I don't mind admitting that was tough - I'm possibly the youngest member of the group too! - but if ever there was vindication it was this weeks 3lb loss and SOTW award - ooh and a further bit of bling with my 2.5st sticky in just 14 weigh-ins! I lost a couple of stone solo before joining SW so since and of July something like 68lb loss.

Being 100% is only part of it. I'm hoping to keep this going as I only do the long ramble every other week. Tomorrow evening (Thursday) after work I have my gym induction as I want to tone up the middle areas thighs/belly. Fortunately the gym is free and I'd be silly not to take advantage.

I had toyed with the idea of a Nintendo Wii but to be honest although it is ok, it is not enough for my needs. Besides, I need to target specifics and with use of the gym and trainers I feel that will benefit me and compliment my walking.

It will only be twice per week most weeks (Thursdays and Saturdays) as time allows.

I'm now really believing the target is not only in sight, but as my target date was Florida, May 1st, I might even have to re-assess my target!

This weeks walking totalled approx 16 miles - over various terrain. I think up until recently I couldn't even see that far on a clear day - let alone walk it!

Hopefully i'll continue to feel this good, especially after recent losses which I considered disappointing - yet a lot of people put on over the same period and I really shouldn't be so hard on myself.

The fear of failure is a terrible thing. Hopefully I begin to lose that fear and encourage others to join a local walking group and get their own body magic going.

Somebody bookmark this positivity for whan I have a gain and start whingeing!

I think tonights movie will be Lassie Come Home! not watched it for years and I'm a bit of a softie at heart:p

Awwww. What a lovely post. Val will be so thrilled !!!

And so lovely to hear such positivity. Those kind of posts really help 'the rest of us' when we're not having such a good day. So lets all bookmark this page and come back and reread it when we need a boost !

Well done Steve - for your shiny and your 3lb loss. I'm delighted for you.

Gail x

Thanks Gail!

Nothing so positive to report today - adsolute rubbish time at work, getting worse by the day. I'm determine not to let it affect me (in a come-off-the-rails sort of way) but suffice to say if I was a manager, i'd support my team to the hilt.

Sorry to whinge but there's some obstacles thrown at you sometimes is there not?

Going to start walking after work too - if only to take out my anger on the pavement!

Feel better already;)

Dedicated to Valerie - my own personal drama queen lol.

ha ha this is more like it
:king2: ( i could only find a blimmin king so that will have to do hee hee)
well done on ur loss this week :clap: and
:happy096: and bravo for the 68lb loss so far
:banana dancer:

Hi all

I am pretty new to all this and hoping to manage a 2 stone loss. (already lost 8lbs, so just 24 to go! ish..) love this thread, and looking forward to hearing more from you all!
Tracy

Feel free to chip in - even if it is only to take the mickey or pick on me:p That goes for any readers and lurkers.

Thanks to the people who have sent me PM's and messages of support too. Everyone welcome to call in. At least I know I'm not going cuckoo just yet.

Tonight I am watching back to back episodes of Shameless - 4 of them! - yes I do watch that show and not in the mood for a movie tonight - plenty of time over the weekend.

Saturday will be a harroweing day for me. I'm meeting my great mate Dave who is not struggling with his cancer battle and has just been issued with his wheelchair. I have arranged to take him out birdwatching tomorrow as we do this all the time, or at least we did until a few months ago. This is the first time I've seen him for months and both of us have lost several stone in that time- but for sadly different reasons:(

Some people have said I'm an inspiration to them but tomorrow morning i'm meeting my inspiration, Dave - he never moans, he has a wife and young daughter (under 14) and must fear for their collective future. Hopefully he'll get to where he needs to be and get a chance to fight his problem. Hopefully tomorrow and his first trip out is a start to the fight and strength-building as his chemo treatment is re-started.

he is not confined to the chair yet, but it is there for if and when he tires. Hopefully tomorrow will not be too much phsically for him and emotionally for me!

For those who didn't know, I've recently lost 3 very close to me to said disease (cancer) including my beloved mother. I'd like to think one person might just have it beat and that starts tomorrow!

So, positive thoughts only as it all begins tomorrow. Wish US luck, good weather and some decent birds to see:)

Great weekend everyone

Steve

Steve -

You truly are an inspiration. I hope you have a great weekend, and that your day out with Dave is just as inspirational for you as you are for us.

X

Well I have to admit the weekend, well Saturday was quite harrowing really. My good mate looked literally a shadow of his former self - and in that typical laddish/blokie style (I'm too old to still call myself a lad) we both declared each other as "skinny *******" - the word bugger replacing a better word beginning with the same letter!

It upset me to have to pack his wheelchair in the car - though it wasn't needed. It upset me to have to walk so slowly and rest as he could not manage what we were doing just 9 short months ago.

I'd love to report he looked well but his optimism was admirable. He is not thinking worst case scenario. He knows they can't operate now but with chemo can keep things at bay! - he is making long-term plans and determined to get fitter and stronger.

His missus remarked we have lost 8.5 stone between us since summer! - in many ways I wish we were both two fat lads out in the fields having a laugh and calling into McD's or BK on the way home.

Sorry to sound negative, but it has made me more determined and despite his protestations of taking my time and me not wanting diesel money I'm going to take him out to watch birds until he is either confident enough to drive again or until he can't no more. Sadly, I'm getting used to this now.

To lighten the mood a little - I think it best - I've taken to watching the Biggest Loser and screaming at them - telling them what they ought to be doing lol.

Oh what I'd give to have it all on a plate like they have - I'd have killed for something like that, but am please once I realised it wasn't just going to happen, I decided to do it all for myself. - only slower and without Davina - oh and no £25,000 prize - but you get my meaning;)

Well it's been a funny old week, emotional and as usual on the eve of weigh-in I feel fatter and heavier! - bizarrely I also feel as though my clothes - especially the top half feel looser.

Tomorrow at long last I complete my gym induction! - once completed I can then start going to the gym. From this week i'm going to walk a mile each morning and 2 miiles after work each evening to really kick the body magic.

You'll find this hard to believe but I'm spending too much time on internet forums - and me with so little to say:eek:

Tonight I'm going to watch The Hangover for a bit of escapism - apprently the "kids" I work with reckon it's good. No, actually they reckon it is "proper cool"

Being a movie fan leaves me open to all sorts of junk lol.

Fingers crossed for WI tomorrow night.

Steve

Today was a day of conflicting emotions. I was angry through work - I had to get weighed on this new-fangled machine which told me I had gained 5.5lb this week!

My already fragile mood/mind were not improved. I did gain 0.5lb this week - not as bad as 5.5lb of course but am angry with the machine as it is a very expensive piece of kit and people's gym schedule and health depend on it!

Hopefully I can turn all this negative anger into positive energy and get back on track next week. I have two gym sessions, a hike with the ramblers, and loads of body magic (morning, noon and night walks) to look forward to.

Thanks for kindly soul (you know who your are) for the caring personal message - very kind and much appreciated. After my initial shock, I'm sure we'll be back on track.

Really looking forward to going to the gym at 6pm after work and then shopping for some goodies for the week ahead.

I need a fillet steak - not had one for a few weeks lol.

Steve

Just read your last posts and just wanted to say I think you are fab for staying so positive with all that is going on for you.

And all that body magic which you have planned sounds amazing, you must feel great after your hikes!

Oh and what did you think of the Hangover? I saw it a few months ago and as you say it is good for a bit of escapism!

Jules x

Well done for keeping positive, Steve.

Gains are horrible. If it's your first gain, it's REALLY horrible. Particularly when you've been doing so well, cos that makes you start to believe you can go the whole distance, losing EVERY time. And then a gain (and you have to admit, your was tiny!) puts a spoke in your wheel. It only means you're human.

Well done though for making sure it leaves you doubly focussed for this week, rather than letting it derail you completely.

You'll have a good loss this week, and life will look a bit rosier again. I promise. (Says she, nervously.)

Just read your last posts and just wanted to say I think you are fab for staying so positive with all that is going on for you.

And all that body magic which you have planned sounds amazing, you must feel great after your hikes!

Oh and what did you think of the Hangover? I saw it a few months ago and as you say it is good for a bit of escapism!

I'm 46 but think I'm still a young'un lol - I still watch American Pie and was a veteran of the Porky's movies in the 80s lol - (rememeber them?) Yes, for pure escapism, The Hangover is a decent movie. Don't get me wrong, it is not a Capra or Tarantino there's no social comment etc. - but you know what? - a movie doesn't have to be. I actually laughed out loud a couple of times - cheered me up. That's a good thing :)
Jules x

Well done for keeping positive, Steve.

Gains are horrible. If it's your first gain, it's REALLY horrible. Particularly when you've been doing so well, cos that makes you start to believe you can go the whole distance, losing EVERY time. And then a gain (and you have to admit, your was tiny!) puts a spoke in your wheel. It only means you're human.

Well done though for making sure it leaves you doubly focussed for this week, rather than letting it derail you completely.

You'll have a good loss this week, and life will look a bit rosier again. I promise. (Says she, nervously.)

I needed a bit of persepctive, it was a case o feeling sorry for myself - (for my mate Dave to be honest) I'm normally the joker and it affected me badly. The weight gain was magnified. I'm over it and thanks for the words of encouragement.

Thanks Jules, thanks Sarah!

So, today I had a session in the gym. 20 minutes on the crosstrainer - that got me warmed up (still very cold here in the north). SO much so I needed a drink. I then tried the treadmill - my mate Jim, (ironic eh?) joined me and although he's fitter, he was running on the treadmill.

I don't run (yet) not since the 80s and usually involving rampaging football fans chasing me, or the local constabulary (the latter was for comedy effect by the way:p)

I set it for 20 minutes at 3mph, Jim told me how to make the inclination steeper. As I knew I could walk, I did the 20 minutes on the steepest incline.

I then finished off with a 5 KM cycle ride - again with a good "tension" to test myself. I didn't overdo as I have a ramble tomorrow! - I also went out birdwatching straight after, so again the rowing machine will have to wait until next time!

So now I feel knackered, but focussed - is that the correct word? one thing I will say though, and that is I am currently aching in places I never knew I had places!!!

All for the greater good - looking forward to the walking tomorrow and especially to the planned Sunday lunch, but will have it on my return for dinner. Roast beef, yorkshires, a bit of mash a couple of roasties, veg, parsnip and gravy - just right after a cold day on the fells.

Not sure which movie to watch tonight - can't choose between Road to Perdition - possibly the only Tom Hanks movie I've never seen, or Von Ryan's Express - A WWII flick I've not seen or can't remember seeing. - I suspect it's immaterial because after a hot bath I fear I'll fall asleep from all this exercise lol.

Sounds like a very successful gym visit!

Well, I must admit, after reading this last week, I started to feel rather lazy, my excercise is 10mins walk (little legs, eveyone else 5mins) from the railway station to the office, and the same again in the evening........ tut, tut, tut so, I started walking down the stairs at work, so that's at least twice a day, lunchtime and when I leave of an evening. OK it's a start, and better than jumping in the lift. The OH suggested that I walk up 1 or 2 floors and then jump in the lift until I can manage more, so I have, and, I was meeting a friend later one evening, so used our on-site gym- only the treadmill, brisk walk, bit of an incline, but again, it's a start.
Worthwhile too, as I doubled my previous weeks loss !! WooHoo.

All down to you Steve - Thanks

Well, I must admit, after reading this last week, I started to feel rather lazy, my excercise is 10mins walk (little legs, eveyone else 5mins) from the railway station to the office, and the same again in the evening........ tut, tut, tut so, I started walking down the stairs at work, so that's at least twice a day, lunchtime and when I leave of an evening. OK it's a start, and better than jumping in the lift. The OH suggested that I walk up 1 or 2 floors and then jump in the lift until I can manage more, so I have, and, I was meeting a friend later one evening, so used our on-site gym- only the treadmill, brisk walk, bit of an incline, but again, it's a start.
Worthwhile too, as I doubled my previous weeks loss !! WooHoo.

All down to you Steve - Thanks

Aww that's smashing! - I actually love hearing stuff like that. Today I observed a few things about myself i'd not noticed before (and i don't mean I can see my feet now either!)

When I began walking, I hated inclines. My first rambler walk I went on the medium walk (there is short, medium and long) I suffered because I "don't do hills" - I literally slowed to a crawl - almost a stop.

I'm now on the short walks, (still 6 mile or more) but now find I can not only go up the hills, but actually relish the challenge and am always among the leaders and never out of breath!

I'm happy to put that in my diary - much better than listing my Sunday lunch, which became Sunday dinner;) It was tremendous though.

Never watched a movie last night and now tonight I'm going to watch the old family favourite "Lassie Come Home" - not seen it for years and reminds me of my old collie from childhood who was naturally called Lassie.

I swing from one mood to another, Lassie tonight, tomorrow could well be Reservoir Dogs, or similar lol. Assuming i stay awake long enough - the days ramble and fresh air combined with the fab SW-style roast dinner has left me heavy-eyed;)

A cracking end to a cracking weekend, especially after the trials of last week. Hopefully a good week ahead. - Beginning 6am with my "wake-up" walk (1.5 mile):eek:

Back