fruit and veg boxes!

KraziKayzi

Silver Member
I was wondering if anybody ordered fruit and veg boxes from a company that deliver them to your door!
There are two companies that I have found that do the service and one is far better priced then the other!
I am thinking about doing it as I spend a fortune on fruit and veg each week and the boxes are said to feed a family of 4-5+ (the large boxes) and at a price of around £18 for veg and £10 for fruit!
If you do this then wondering do you find it value for money?
Do you get decent things in each box?
Do you end up going out and buying more in the week?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

I used to get a weekly veg box from Abel and cole. I still get their Xmas day box, but have stopped the weekly delivery. This is because the fruit wasn't very nice. Bananas were an odd colour, oranges were wrinkly. Of course, they were the only things that weren't grown here so that may be why. Apples were lovely though. You get to rate the fruit and veg you like so you can stop them sending anything you know you wont use. I liked getting new stuff and looking up recipes for it.

I was going to change to a lower priced more local one but the delivery charge cancelled out any savings on prices.

I used to get the medium one for the 3 of us. I'd usually top up a few things at supermarket because i'd need more salad or fruit.

I might give it another go. The service and range is very good.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

There was always enough potatoes and we get through a good few of them, but they are covered in dirt!

Sassia said:
There was always enough potatoes and we get through a good few of them, but they are covered in dirt!

As fresh as you can get I suppose ahaa.

I don't think I will go with Abel and co as they are more expensive, but then the other one I wasn't sure of delivery costs, was looking in their site but couldn't see, probably have to place an order before they let ya know, it was pretty local to me though about 15miles their main one and they have a shop you can visit!

I would always suggest trying them. You don't have to sign up for weekly deliveries and there are a few companies now so you might find one suits you better than others.

Sassia said:
I would always suggest trying them. You don't have to sign up for weekly deliveries and there are a few companies now so you might find one suits you better than others.

I think I will go for it, I spend so much in my local shops nisa and co-op topping up my fruit and veg, hoping this will save us money!

I agree on Abel and Cole - I used to love their veg boxes, but the quality went really downhill. Things going mouldy the day after the box had been delivered, poor selection of products... Such a shame. I think someone bought the company, and evidently they didn't know how to run it as well!

I tried the Organic Delivery Company and I really liked their boxes, but had problems with delivery because I moved to flats with no where to leave the box if I wasn't in.

I think getting a veg box is lovely, though, and if I move to somewhere where it's easier for the driver to leave the box then I'll definitely start getting them again. Mind you, in my experience it is a bit pot luck what you get, so sometimes you get your bodyweight in potatoes and parsnips and other times veg that you can't even identify, lol.

I got an offer through riverford organics on KGBdeals this week.

3 of their small veg boxes for £16 (usually £36) - either 1 a week for 3 weeks, or every other week.

I'm due my first delivery Tuesday - never done anything like it before so quite looking forward to it! Ive been online this morning pricing up in case I like the idea and want to continue and there are various companies out there and some competitive prices!

Will let you know what I think Tuesday when I've had my first delivery!! x

It's a good way of forcing yourself to be inventive with new ingredients Sometimes you will get something in your box you have never used before or don't know what to do with it. If you want to make the most of your box and not waste anything you will have to get creative.

That's the name of the other one, riverford! Do they still charge a hefty delivery charge?

I'll have a look later, but when I was going to order from them before the charge made me close the window down!

Riverford didn't charge for delivery when i used them. They were great, i stopped using them due to cost & i have been toying with going back to them, but i don't think the veg box designed for 2 people has enough variety for us now.

Riverford didn't charge for delivery when i used them. They were great, i stopped using them due to cost & i have been toying with going back to them, but i don't think the veg box designed for 2 people has enough variety for us now.

oooh free delivery ...Awesome!

I want the large veg box to do a weeks worth of dinners/lunches for me, my OH and 2 kiddlies.

I just don't know whether it is cost efficient for us, money is tight and I spend a fortune going to my local shops to top up, for instance £2 a bag of pots every two days, apples bananas and oranges every couple of days...if I sat down and worked it all out, think I will be shocked!

I buy a half sack of spuds from the farm, £3.95 for 12.5kg
I'm thinking of going to the local veggie shop and asking them to make me a box weekly for me to collect. To try to keep the 'village' atmosphere of the local high street.

Hubby has rung me to say my first veg box has arrived!!

He made me laugh as said he couldn't identify half of what was in it! But he did say it all smelt really fresh! And there are some huge mushrooms in it (yuk - that'll feed him and the kids then!!).

Can't wait to get home and have a look!

I'll let you know and upload a pic as soon as i get home! xx

Hubby has rung me to say my first veg box has arrived!!

He made me laugh as said he couldn't identify half of what was in it! But he did say it all smelt really fresh! And there are some huge mushrooms in it (yuk - that'll feed him and the kids then!!).

Can't wait to get home and have a look!

I'll let you know and upload a pic as soon as i get home! xx

I swear google images was designed for Riverford Delivery Day. We used identify everything on the list we knew, then google the name of anything we couldn't identify & then try and match the pics to the box!

Back