Fruit instead of veg on EE.

Yotobari

I'm just starting SW on the extra easy plan and I was wondering with regards to the 1/3 superfree requirement if firstly I'd need to make a good proportion of that veggies or if mainly fruit with some veg is okay. And also if I had to eat them immediately with each meal or if I could eat the equivalent amount across the day. I prefer to graze on fruit throughout the day to stop me eating sweet things so I'm really hoping it's okay to do that.

I also apologise if this has been brought up in another thread but I didn't have a clue what to search for.

Thanks in advance.:)

If you are going to do it with fruit, it must be before the meal to stop you eating so much in the main meal.
And in my opinion, grazing in the day is a no no. 1/3 superfree is designed to keep you full enough so you don't need to graze. If you are grazing throughout the day, you need to consider if you are hungry or just picking.

I graze all the time on fruit. That's what it's there's for in my opinion.. Youre right about making you're eating because you're hungry and not just for the sake of it though.

I have a third veg on the same plate and then if I want something in between then and the next meal I have fruit as well, I think it's pretty important to have it on the actual plate, otherwise I'd just be eating massive pasta and potato meals like I used to, with fruit in between, which I don't think would be too effective :)

That's just me though...

I agree with Aston

The superfree fruit or veggies has to be on your plate to count as your 1/3. This is to limit how much of the heavier foods you're eating. Sitting down to a full meal, potentially 1/3 more than it should be, and then grazing on fruit all day is not what EE is about.

The concept of 1/3 superfree is not some scientific equation, it's just a clever way of controlling how much you eat without calorie counting. Think of those corny "portion plates" lol! Also it's 1/3 of your plate at every meal, so eating an additional 30% of your day's meals in the form of fruits may defeat the purpose of EE. There's absolutely nothing wrong with snacking on fruit but should be in addition to the 1/3 veggies you're getting with your meals and only if genuinely hungry.

Do you not like vegetables? Something as simple as adding some chopped fruit to breakfast, a salad to your lunch and steamed or roasted veggies to your dinner takes care of your 1/3 for the day! If you're not a fan of most veggies, there's nothing wrong with just having the veggies you do like over and over. Some veggies are better than none at all or fruits alone!

Gosh I hope this makes sense...

You should eat a mix of fruit & vef regardless to get all the vitamins & minerals you need. You can't get them all from fruit. Fruit is also very high in sugar, so should not be your only superfree food.

If you really really hate veg the only way that extra easy is going to work is if you find another way to reduce your portion size. This could mean using smaller plates (i.e side plates) for your meals. But then you risk being hungry. The veg is supposed to fill you up as well as reduce your portions of the other things.

You could of course try & eat some veg - you might be surprised. My OH hated veg when wr first got together, now he eats all sorts. Its mainly to do with how stuff is cooked. his mum used to boil all veg to within an inch of their lives, whereas i tend to eat mine whilst they are still a bit crunchy.

Would "hidden" veg count? E.g if making spag bol, grating carrot and courgette into the sauce as well as having chopped tomato, onion, mushrooms peppers etc.

Thanks very much for the advice. It is almost certainly just because I want to pick at something. Snacks are my biggest downfall. Currently having a salad of watercress, carrot and pickled onions next to a highly tempting spinach omellette. Don't think I'll be able to finish all the omellette which I geuss is what's meant to happen.

I do a mix of all 3 plans, and pretty much have a load of superfree whichever day I'm on, if I'm doing EE and my dinner is one where it's difficult to add a 1/3rd I'll have a large bowl of homemade superfree veg soup as a starter..... so I'm part full already.... soup can be really easy to prepare, pretty cheap and filling

You are fine to snack on superfree foods throughout the day if you are hungry. As long as you are having your 1/3 superfree for each meal too.

I always have an apple or piece of fruit around 11 ish cause I get a little peckish. The main thing is to only eat when
You are hungry and not just for the sake of it. I often drink s glass of water first and if I'm still hungry will eat fruit.

Do you have to do Extra Easy? Would green or red not suit you better?

I agree with Kingleds though. You might surprise yourself if you give veg a try. So many different varieties and ways of cooking/not cooking them. You might find something you love.

I don't really eat meals but graze through the day. Its just the way I've always eaten. Because of this I find EE really really hard so often do red/green as it seems to fit better with my way of eating.

I'm not a big veggie fan at all, so I do eat the same veg as my 1/3 super free every day and it's certainly not done me or my weight loss any harm. I try to stick super speed fruit with snacks(low cal fruits) like berries.

I agree with what everyone's said about you need to learn to recognize when you are genuinely hungry or just wanting to pick and if the later try distracting yourself or fulling up with water. Move yourself away from the kitchen and food, do something away from the kitchen so you're more likely to stop thinking of food. I find exercise a really good distraction and great motivation, I also find it helps with my appetite. And of course can boost your weight loss.

I don't really eat meals but graze through the day. Its just the way I've always eaten. Because of this I find EE really really hard so often do red/green as it seems to fit better with my way of eating.

Sorry to hijack but I'm a three square meals a day girl and I've always been curious about what grazers eat. So what kind of things do you eat on a typical day? Sorry just being nosey :eek:

Sorry to hijack but I'm a three square meals a day girl and I've always been curious about what grazers eat. So what kind of things do you eat on a typical day? Sorry just being nosey :eek:

Usually I have a small sandwich for breakfast, usually with a little cheese or a slice of meat.

Lunch/tea is often pasta or a mixture of meat free stuff with baked beans.

Then through the day I may have a yoghurt, mini milk, various bits of fruit and a packet of snack a jacks or ww crisps. At some point I'll usually have another sandwich or some toast as well. Often when I get back from my evening shift.

Usually all this adds up to 10-15 syns and 2HExA and 2HExB. Plus free food.

As you can see only two 'kind of' meal person. And yes I have had people tell me I don't eat enough however most days I can't eat any more than that. I never eaten much but I put on weight because what I was eating was totally the wrong things.

Ah thanks for sharing! Gosh I'd be so sad if I couldn't have a hot meal for dinner lol. I like feeling hungry then sitting down to a hearty meal and then that feeling of contentment at my full belly lol.

Sadly my shifts don't tend to go with a hot meal for dinner as I work 7am-2pm then 5pm-10.30pm.

pixislim said:
Would "hidden" veg count? E.g if making spag bol, grating carrot and courgette into the sauce as well as having chopped tomato, onion, mushrooms peppers etc.

Yes they do because sometimes in the EE cook book it doesn't suggest serving it with any extra Superfree stuff - HTH

Back