FUNCURLS FOOD DIARY, BLOG and CHIT CHAT!! New target set!!

Week 70- Day 3 (Thurs)- Extra Easy- Day off.

Breakfast- 8.30am- Oats-So-Simple sachet (Main HEXb) made with 125ml semi-skimmed milk (1/2 HEXa) and topped with chopped apple, pear and sweetener.

Lunch- 12.30pm- At my parent's house- Stirfried vegetables with couscous (made with veg stock), paprika and thyme. 2 clementines. A summer berries Mullerlight.

At my friend's Mum's house in Exeter-7.30pm- I've been like the littlest Hobo today!! Salmon fillet with mediterranean couscous (twice in one day!!) (0.5 syns), mange tout and carrots. A drizzle of sweet chilli sauce (0.5 syns). A raspberry Shape Zero yogurt.

On way home to Swansea in car- 1am- 2 jumbo salt & vinegar Snack-a-Jacks (4 syns) and 6 M&S belgian chocolate mini-meringues (4.5 syns- wow, highly recommended- an amazing chocolatey melt-in-the-mouth experience- 2 for 1.5 syns aint bad!!!) 1/2 large blush pear.

Semi-skimmed milk in a few cups of coffee (less than 1/2 HEXa).

Total syns 9.5.

Last edited:
Hey Hun,

Just caught up with all your posts as I have been ill so not been around.

Just wanted to say I am so sorry about your friend and sending you big hugs. It really puts life into perspective doesn't it and makes you grateful for every day.

Hope things start looking up for you soon.

xx

Thank you Amy so much for your kind words! Hope you're feeling perkier!! I've posted a message for you on your diary XXXX

Got back from Exeter early this morning (2.30am)- exhausted! My best friend lost her sister Tuesday morning (she was also a close friend of mine as we'd grown up together) She was 35 years old and had had a lot of health problems, far too many for one person to endure, but it was still a total shock! Noone expected her to live to a ripe old age, but we certainly didn't expect her to go at 35!! The double tragedy is that they lost their Mum only in June and were still grieving for her! I feel so useless that I can't say anything to make it better! Why is life so cruel to some people? Usually the lovely ones!! Food-wise I have been able to stay in control! It may seem trivial but it's something I CAN control amongst all the ridiculousness and haywire emotions!! There's no sense in anything else!! XXXXX

Week 70- Day 4 (Fri)- Extra Easy- Day off.

Missed breakfast as had mega lie-in after getting back at 3am this morning.

Lunch- 4 Joe's sausages, 2 Frylighted eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes. 1 tbspn HP Woodsmoke BBQ sauce (1 syn). Snack- 2 M&S Belgian chocolate mini-meringues. (1.5 syns).

In cinema- 3.30pm- Kelloggs dark choc/almond Fibre Plus bar (HEXb).

Snack whilst waiting for tea to be ready- 6 seafood sticks.

Tea- 7.30pm- Spaghetti bolognese- (ingredients-xl beef mince, onion, leek, celery, carrot, green pepper, orange pepper, mushrooms, garlic, fresh tomatoes, tin of plum tomatoes, tomato puree, 2 Oxo 'spag bol' cubes, thyme and basil- 0.5 syns for puree). With tricolour spaghetti. A banana & custard Mullerlight. Some fresh pineapple.

Semi skimmed milk in 2 cups of tea and 2 cups of coffee (part HEXa).

Total syns 3.

Last edited:
How are you feeling funcurls? I hope you are ok. It's such a shock when someone young dies unexpectedly and you feel so powerless to help.

On another note, I must try some of those mini meringues are they really two for 1.5 syns? Shame there is no M&S near us.

Hi Red, feeling ok thanks, just very sad and reflective! Off to cinema with a friend this avo to see the new film No Strings Attached which will be good escapism! The mini meringues are amazing- so sweet though you don't need many, which is the point, and yes they're 15 cals each! Try and pick some up next time there is a 'Marks & Spensives' in the vicinity! X

Sorry to hear about your friend, I hope you are ok xxxxxxx

Ooh thanx EB, will have to compare syns, taste and price!! Thanks MancB, I've had a run of bad news lately, its all a bit much! X

So sorry to hear of your bad news - Hope you keep your chin up if you can!!!

I am from Swansea also. You have done so well on your diet - Well done. You're an inspiration

Hi Susie, thanks for the kind words, and thanks also for the vote of confidence re my loss!! It's taking a while, and at times it's been frustrating, but I'm now quite glad I've taken it slowly as I feel I'm able to have a life, have lots of treats and eat good portions! Where in Swansea are you? Do you attend a class?X

Week 70- Day 5 (Sat)- Red day (unintentional!) - Day off.

Long lie-in- Brunch-12 noon- 3 egg scramblette with smoked salmon and herbs. Fresh pineapple and blueberries.

Snack-2pm- 2 M&S Belgian chocolate mini-meringues (1.5 syns)

In cinema-5pm- Kelloggs dark choc/almond Fibre Plus bar (HEXb).

At Chiquitos- 7pm- (Mexican)- Chicken/steak combo fajitas! Chicken & steak strips with onion and peppers (on sizzling plate- ?6 syns for oil?) 4 small flour tortillas (18 syns!) A very small amount sour cream (?2 syns) and very small amount guacamole (?2 syns). A small amount salsa (?1 syn). A few tortilla chips (?3 syns). Lettuce and grated cheese (less than 28g- HEXa).

Snack 10pm- 2 seafood sticks. 2 clementines.

Total syns approx 33.5. (But this is OK as only had 30 syns up until today!) And realised at end of day that it had actually been a red day and didn't have full compliment of HEXs so have in theory saved some syns here!!

Last edited:
Week 70- Day 6 (Sun)- Extra Easy- Day off.

Late breakfast-11am- 3 egg scramblette with smoked salmon and herbs. 2 kiwi fruit.

Snack- 2 M&S Belgian chocolate mini-meringues (1.5 syns).

Late lunch- 2pm- Some instant Mr Mash with a little thyme (surprised how lovely this was!- 1 syn for skimmed milk) with mushy peas!

Snack- 2 M&S Belgian chocolate mini-meringues (1.5 syns). Some raspberries.

Tea- 7.30pm- Stuffed butternut squash half:- Ingredients- Roasted BNS half (deseeded), flesh scooped out and mixed with chopped red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, 42g feta cheese (HEXa) and 1/2 sachet of 'Schwartz mix for Stuffed Butternut Squash' (2 syns) then returned to oven until browned. A rhubarb Mullerlight. 2 clementines.

Snack- 10.30pm- Kelloggs dark choc/almond Fibre Plus bar (HEXb).

Skimmed milk in 2 cups of tea and 2 cups of coffee (1 syn).

Total syns 7.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Tesco ones are higher in syns (I think I looked at them for valentine's meal).

I've got a bit of a smoked salmon obsession at the moment. I think I need to avoid it next week :rolleyes:

Roasted butternut squash sounds good. How was the film?

I'm pretty sure the Tesco ones are higher in syns (I think I looked at them for valentine's meal).

I've got a bit of a smoked salmon obsession at the moment. I think I need to avoid it next week :rolleyes:

Roasted butternut squash sounds good. How was the film?

Well I'm happy to stick with the M&S ones for now then- it's only a phase I'm sure- I'll be onto the next fad soon knowing me!!

I'm loving my smoked salmon omlettes- I call them scramblettes because they're sort of a cross between omlette and scrambled egg (ie a complete mess- but v. tasty!!)

I haven't tried the BNS yet but really looking forward to it! It's taster night tomorrow at SW so I may take the other half in with me for people to try- saves me racking my brain for something else!

I have been to the cinema both Friday and yesterday!! Making the most of the remainder of my week off work and certainly needed the escapism!! Friday's film 'No Strings Attached' was very light and fun- really enjoyed it, although I don't think it's one that will stay with me! Ashton Kutcher is definite eye candy!!! Yesterday I saw 'The Rite' starring Anthony Hopkins, about a young sceptical trainee priest going to the Vatican to learn the art of exorcism!! It was very dark but I do like this type of thing- fantastic acting by our Tony (for once actually playing a Welshman!) Maybe it wasn't such a great idea to go and watch a film so death-focused after recent events though!!

Have you had a good week? Your food diary suggests so!! By the way, I just realised I don't know your real name!!!X

Foodwise had a pretty good week, yes. The Anthony Hopkins film sounds quite good, was it scary? I don't know why but exorcism type films (well all the Catholic imagery) scare me more than other films. Except maybe The Ring, that film was just freaky!

My name is Melissa by the way :)

Hi Melissa!! (Funny how very often I get to know people and it doesn't even occur to me to ask their real name- if it isn't obvious from their username that is!)

Yes the film was great- quite disturbing in some ways, but it wouldn't have made the grade as a great excorcism film if it hadn't been!!! They're not meant to be about fluffy kittens and fairy dust!! My friend Lara and I are going to see Anthony Hopkins live in St David's Hall, Cardiff in July!! He's presenting an evening about his life and career, involving music from the original scores of some of his most famous films performed by the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra! I'm really looking forward to it!

The stuffed BNS was AMAZING!! I thoroughly recommend it! If you wanted to save on syns (the whole sachet is 3.5) the main herbs/spices are dried garlic, coriander seed, cumin, dried onion, dried red bell peppers, ginger, thyme, chives, sage, rosemary. The syns come from vegetable oil, golden caster sugar and breadcrumbs. So I'm sure it would be equally as nice using just dried stuff and some crushed garlic! I'd probably do that next time now I know what to use!X

Back