FUNCURLS FOOD DIARY, BLOG and CHIT CHAT!! New target set!!

seriously Honey - that write up is amazing....i want to go find these now!!! xxx thanks for the pics too x

Hi Funcurls, I saw your post asking about plantains and thought I was more likely to catch you here :D

Basically plantains are like oversized bananas, however they're not fruits like your regular banana - they're a lot starchier with a yellow flesh and should be cooked. Its eaten widely in Africa, the Caribbean islands and South America. Its like a sweet potato almost but sweeter and yummier and can be boiled, fried, mashed, roasted etc! My fave way of cooking it pre SW was fried but I roast it in the oven these days and its just as delicious. You can get them at African or Asian markets, really cheap too (about 4 for £1 and 1 would feed you comfortably)

To cook it I turn the oven to 200C and then peel the plantain by toping and tailing, then placing the tip of a knife into the skin, just until it touches the flesh, run it down the length of the plantain then peel away. you can't peel it like a banana because the skin is too tough. Slice it in half lengthways and lay on a roasting tray. Spray with frylight, sprinkle with salt and roast for 30 - 40 minutes until golden brown. Deeelicious with curries, fried rice, meat sauces, spinach sauces, spicy beans or lentils, anything spicy really.

Here's a few pics!
photo-46.jpg

afa8e3e7.jpg

Always like to have a checky through Heather's diary and saw this post - thanks for the detailed explanation HoneyOc - glad you're back on SW and raring to go! xxx

You're welcome Funcurls!

And thank you Devon_Dumpling, I am raring to go! Feel like I have a torpedo up my bum! :D

Okay, will leave your diary in peace now.

How dare you tarnish my food diary with pics of oversized starchy bananas!! LOL!! Thank you so much for this!! Really interesting!! I'm definitely going to try them and will send you a detailed report when I've done so!! Thanks Honey Honey!!XXXXX

Week 27- Day 7 (Mon) Extra Easy- Day off!

Brekkie- 9.30am- Some strips of chicken (in slow-cooker overnight- smelt so divine this morning I couldn't resist-fell straight off the bone- yum!). A banana.

In cinema- (Saw the film The Last Song- really enjoyed it!! A real weepie!!) 1pm- 2 Alpen Light choc/orange bars (HEXb), some strawberries and blueberries. A 15g mini bar of Green & Blacks dark chocolate cherry (4 syns).

Lunch in 'The Pump House' pub- 3pm- 3 mini fishcakes with salad (starter portion)- (?9 syns).

Back home after WI (I lost 3lb this week- very chuffed!!!)
8.30pm- Salmon fillet frylighted with a drizzle of Teriyaki sauce (0.5 syns) with roasted veg (from yesterday). 2 seafood sticks. A Mars Miniroll (6 syns). Chunks of fresh pineapple.

Total syns 19.5

Total syns for week 80.

Week 28- Day 1 (Tues)- Red- Day off!

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new lii-ife, and I'm feelin good... da da..da da..da da da da da da...

Brekkie- 10.30am (had a bit of a lie in!!!)- Fruity coronation chicken on 4 Finn Crisp Plus wholegrain crispbreads (HEXb). 2 pears.

Late lunch- 3.30pm- Tikka chunky chicken pieces with salad (green leaves, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, red chilli, beetroot, apple, balsamic vinegar). With 1 tbspn Heinz XL salad cream (1 syn). 3 Babybel light (HEXa). Strawberries and blueberries.

Tea- 7.15pm- Small portion of chicken dopiaza (not ravenous as had such a late lunch but going out to choir and then pub so knew I wouldn't eat til late if I didn't eat now!)- (slow cooked chicken, onion, garlic, red pepper, green pepper, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, garam masala, chilli powder, stock). ]

After choir/pub- 11pm- 1 Finn Crisp Plus wholegrain with marmite (1/4 HEXb). Vanilla/choc sprinkles Mullerlight with a black cherry underlayer (2 syns). Some white grapes.

Note the chicken theme today!!!

Total syns 3.

Last edited:
loving your chicken work - i am also having some today as my HEB!! I am a GREEEEEEEEEEN girl today!!! :D x

Aww thanks chick!! (Like wot I did there?! LOL!) Awww green girl! I'll now have to get into those too!! When I've got through all my chicken!!!LOL!X

Week 28- Day 2 (Wed)- Extra Easy- Day off!

Late brekkie- 10.30am- 3-egg cheese and herb omlette, using 14g cheddar (1/2 HEXa). 2 pears and some white grapes.

1.30pm- A Mars Miniroll!!! (6 syns).

Late lunch- 2.30pm- Tikka chunky chicken with salad (green leaves, cherry tomatoes, beetroot, apple, red pepper) with balsamic vinegar and 2 tbspns Heinz XL salad cream (2 syns). A Vanilla/choc sprinkles Mullerlight. A Kelloggs Fibre Plus dark choc/almond bar (HEXb).

Supper- 7pm- Starter- Tomato, lentil and bacon soup (from Extra Easy cookbook pg 12- bacon, onion, garlic, ginger, potato, carrot, curry powder, red lentils, tomatooes, veg stock, fresh coriander).

Main- Fresh tuna steak with red onion, coriander and lime salsa served with stirfried veg with 1 tbspn Sweet chilli sauce on the side (1.5 syns). Strawberries and blueberries with a nice dollop of Total 0% yogurt and a little Splenda.

Total syns 9.5

Last edited:
Hiya funcurls, I found you!! LOL gonna have fun reading through your diary, never thought of writing down what I have actually eaten, as opposed to the rounded up version! Will go back to mine and do that, thanks for the idea!! (nicks idea)! :eek:) x

Week 28- Day 3 (Thurs)- Red- Working 12-8pm.

Breakfast- 10am- 3 egg omlette with herbs. 2 pears.

Work break 6pm- Tuna steak with stirfried veg and teriyaki sauce (1 tbspn- 1 syns). Activia fat free mandarin yogurt. 3 Babybel lights (HEXa).

In pub 10pm-(stopped at pub on way home from work- dh & friends eating there!)-4 chips (1 syn), tiny taste of friend's chocolate pudding (?2 syns) and an after dinner mint (2 syns).

11pm- at home- Asda wholemeal pitta bread (HEXb) with green salad, tikka chunky chicken and 2 tbspns Hellmanns XL mayo (1 syn) mixed with a little mild curry powder. Packet of salt & vinegar Ryvita Minis. (HEXb).

Total syns 7.

Last edited:
Week 28- Day 4 (Fri)- Red- Working night shift- 7.30pm-8am.

Long lie-in (night shift preparation!)

Brunch- 12.00- Some bits of smoked salmon (whilst making my quiche- see below!). 4 Tesco Light Choices sausages frylighted (4 syns). Fresh chunks of pineapple.

Tea- 6.30pm- Slice of smoked salmon & dill SW quiche (smoked salmon, leek, red pepper, courgette, dill, 4 eggs, tub of vff cottage cheese, seasoning) with small salad of green leaves, cherry toms, beetroot with balsamic vinegar.

Work snack 10pm- Cheeky choc/orange HIFI bar (HEXb). A tiny piece of Milkybar Easter egg someone brought in (2 syns- max!) 3 babybel lights (HEXa).

Work food break- 12.30am- Chicken dopiaza (chicken, onion, tomato, red & green pepper, curry powder, garam masala, cinnamon, chilli powder) with steamed broccoli, cabbage & leek (veg cooked in microwave in my new 'Quick Steam' bags- first time to try them!!). 2 tspns sweet chilli sauce (1 syn). 2 pears. Activia fat free cherry yogurt.

Total syns 7

Last edited:
Hi Loups, hope you're OK and not feeling down in dumps after wed night!! It's positive thinking we want so hope you're soldiering on- it WILL show down the line if you're putting the effort in!! So I tried the steam quick bags for my veg last night in work and I was soooo impressed! I'm definitely going to use them lots in future!! I'll try and get more adventurous too with meat/fish/veg/marinades/herbs n spices!! Big kisses comin' atchya!X

Back