GAINING inches while losing weight? How could this be?

Oinkstop

Once a month, I get out the tape measure and I see how I'm doing.

This morning, I was shocked to see that I have gained inches on my hips, bust and upper arm, even though I've lost weight.

And no, I'm not exercising, so I'm not gaining inches because of increased muscle mass.

Even more upsetting is that my percentage of body fat went up from 47% last month to 48.6% this month.

I'm getting fatter even though I'm losing weight!

How can this be?

Hmm...

Did you measure yourself at the same time of day? I reckon your measurements could be quite different, depending on whether it was first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

Did you use the same tape measure? They can vary quite a bit.

Have you recently fallen off the wagon? It can take a day or 3 to recover from the regained glycogen and water effect.

If it's none of these things, then yep, it's truly puzzling!

What are you using to measure body fat? Relatively cheap scales vary if you have warm/cold or wet/sweaty feet.

Try weighing again to see if it didn't give you a bad reading. :)

x

It is absolutely impossible to be getting fatter if you are losing weight. I'd forget the measuring if I were you, it would only depress me so concentrate on the fact that you are losing loads of weight, thats a good thing right? :)

Could it be your time of the month? slight bloating maybe? measure again next week ;-)

He's a man, so TOTM would be quite disressing for him lol!

Still could be retaining water though? Men do retain just not with the same frequency that women do.

Ignore that fat %

Just read your blog - I see 2 days ago you ate cookies, thus gaining 7lbs overnight. In all honesty its bloating and gycogen retention from the cookie high.

Don't sweat it and just hang in there. AND be GOOD!

You can get to you goal pre MIL if you stick in there.

I am really sorry im new here....**shame on me**

I am really sorry im new here....**shame on me**

No shame! I didn't know til I went Blog stalking. I automatically assume everyone is female..

I know... I have high expectations of people.... :D

Um... think Oink is a woman, she mentions in her post gaining inches on her bust?

xxx

AHH well wont forget my entry to the forums now ..he he

Oink is a woman. 100% sure about that ;-)

Now back to giving advice haha!! :)

x

I thought oink was a woman but then in another post or a blog can't remember which there's mention of a wife and child so I'm confused-sorry oink.

Oh geeze! I think I've confused everyone! Sorry.

To straighten up the confusion:

1. I am, unfortunately, female. Truth be told, I am definitely not very feminine. No dresses and makeup for me!
  2. I am (legally, at least for the moment) married to another female. That might change, though, because I live in California and we are waiting on the State Supreme Court to rule on whether the same-sex marriages performed last summer are going to remain valid.
As for the inches gain, I'm really boggled by it. I don't understand how the scale can say I've lost weight, but my body fat % and my measurements are going up?

Hi
I am a newbie so please forgive me if you have already answered this, but since you are from the US are you on the Cambridge diet US which I thought was different from the Cambridge diet UK or is that me getting confused:confused:

oh that awfull to hear that your marridge is under threat of being made void .....its a crappy world why does it blooming matter if ur the same sex love is love at the end of the day ;-)....sorry going a bit off topic there ...opssss

Oh geeze! I think I've confused everyone! Sorry.

To straighten up the confusion:

1. I am, unfortunately, female. Truth be told, I am definitely not very feminine. No dresses and makeup for me!
  2. I am (legally, at least for the moment) married to another female. That might change, though, because I live in California and we are waiting on the State Supreme Court to rule on whether the same-sex marriages performed last summer are going to remain valid.
As for the inches gain, I'm really boggled by it. I don't understand how the scale can say I've lost weight, but my body fat % and my measurements are going up?

Apologies. I just read wife and assumed male. My bad. Personally if they perform the marriage it should be valid. You pay the same taxes, obey the same laws and do the same jobs as everyone else. I don't see why you can't have a valid marriage.

Ignore the body fat percentage. Look at the scales, are they moving down? Yes. Fluid retention can throw the body fat percentages out. And I mean wildly. Husband refuses to buy scales with body fat on them, as he rules them "scientifically inaccurate" the only way to truly measure body fat is to lower you into a vat of water and look for water displacement. Apparently.

Next - Inches, your areas of inch gain, chest, arm and stomach are all fluid retention areas.

I know I've said it before, and its not to make you feel bad, but a whole pack of cookies is going to contain a lot of glycogen to bind to 4 times its own size in water.

I'm sorry but it sounds like classic water retention to me.

Hi
I am a newbie so please forgive me if you have already answered this, but since you are from the US are you on the Cambridge diet US which I thought was different from the Cambridge diet UK or is that me getting confused:confused:

No you're not confused. CD US is diff frm CDUK, but we're a multinational lot here at Minimins

Yes, I'm doing the US version of Cambridge, and it is different. As for the marriage thing, it's pretty crazy here right now. Basically the problem is that there is a certain percentage of people in the US that thing that marriage (and marriage rights, pertaining to things like inheritance, medical decisions, insurance, immigration, etc.) should only be reserved for heterosexual couples.

Back