Gaining when starting exercise

LisaC

Gold Member
I keep reading threads where people have started getting into exercise & the following weigh in they've put on. I found this last week with a 2.5 gain despite sticking to plan 100%. Is it due to water retention? Can anyone shed some light?

It's due to fluid building up around your muscles. Don't worry, it will level itself out again :)

i really want to join the gym but i heard that most people gain weight so its putting me off a bit. seems a waste of time paying for s.w just to hear you have gained each week! has any one joined a gym/ exercised more aswell as followed the plan and lost lbs?? x

i really want to join the gym but i heard that most people gain weight so its putting me off a bit. seems a waste of time paying for s.w just to hear you have gained each week! has any one joined a gym/ exercised more aswell as followed the plan and lost lbs?? x

I think if you gain (like me) its only when you start out. Even if you didn't lose as much as you'd like you'd still notice the difference if you measured inches :)

I think if you gain (like me) its only when you start out. Even if you didn't lose as much as you'd like you'd still notice the difference if you measured inches :)

thanks, they say muscle weighs more than fat but because theres options on the machines that say fat burn im worndering if i could just do those if it would make a difference. did you gain when you started regular exercise? xx

thanks, they say muscle weighs more than fat but because theres options on the machines that say fat burn im worndering if i could just do those if it would make a difference. did you gain when you started regular exercise? xx
sorry did u gain much is what i was ment to say xx

I know there's always a big thing about muscle/fat but a 1lb of one weighs the same as 1lb of the other. I know that if you burn fat & build muscle you burn more calories when you exercise.

I've always been into exercise but I've been really slack the last few months so I've got back into it only this month, trying to do 20-30mins 5 times a week. I did put on 2.5lb last week & I stuck to plan 100% so the exercise must be the reason why.

I had my first weigh in yesterday and gained a pound. Have exercised loads in the gym and home. Hopefully next week will be better.

Several things to bear in mind here. Firstly, SW is designed to promote weight loss without any exercise - and although we don't count calories, we are still using them when we exercise so it may be that by exercising you are not consuming enough of them and you are pushing your body into thinking its starving. This can result in losses stopping and indeed gains occurring as your body fights to retain its reserves.

It is correct to say that 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle. The difference is that muscle weight is more densely distributed, or concentrated, so in terms of actual volume of the two, a piece of fat the same size as a piece of muscle would weigh less.

Also, in the early stages of exercise, the body can be prone to water retention, so do make sure to keep flushing your body through with plenty of fluid so that your body doesn't think it needs to hold on to it.

And finally, the scales may not be saying what you want quite yet, but you are well on the way to being healthier, which is actually the more important. So keep at it!

Several things to bear in mind here. Firstly, SW is designed to promote weight loss without any exercise - and although we don't count calories, we are still using them when we exercise so it may be that by exercising you are not consuming enough of them and you are pushing your body into thinking its starving. This can result in losses stopping and indeed gains occurring as your body fights to retain its reserves.

My old C told me in class that I could ONLY EVER gain from exercise by working out something like 5 hours everyday of the week. After my result last week boy was she wrong!

I went from no exercise to 20 mins a day (30 day shred) and lost 2lbs that week, so everyone is different.

The absolute biggest mistake anyone can make when exercising is not drinking enough water. It takes one year to gain muscle (unless, as your C says, it is 5 hours a day) and fat burns off far quicker so it would take a long time to see the 'gain'. When you exercise you, essentially, rip and stretch the muscles, this is why you sometimes ache the next day, it is your muscles crying out for water to help repair them.
If you drink enough water before, during and after exercise (I always aim to drink a litre in the 2 hours before, a litre during and a litre after during the rest of the day) then not only should it prevent you seeing the gains on the scale it should also help stop the aches and pains the following day (nothing can be done about the aches and pains the same day though, haha).
I did a 10k last year and drank my water before as we were supposed to be getting water during but they failed to announce that the water providers had let them down so I had to do the entire thing with no water. The next day as well as barely being able to walk and move I put on 9lbs on the scales!!!!!!!!!!! Despite having run 5k the week before in a much faster time and losing 3lbs.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a qualified personal trainer and nutritionist and he explained the muscles/water saga and since then I have never gained and never ached the following day no matter how much exercise I did.

Drink, drink and drink some more :)

I REALLY struggle to drink enough on a usual day so upping it when I workout is hard but I know how important it is. Annoying having to pause the dvd to run to the loo though ;)

I REALLY struggle to drink enough on a usual day so upping it when I workout is hard but I know how important it is. Annoying having to pause the dvd to run to the loo though ;)

I know what you mean, I go to the gym so it's even worse if you're on the treadmill or, even worse, in a class. :D:D:D

Thanks for the advise re water and drinking on this thread. I upped my exercise the week after new year and saw a lb gain on the scales. Have done the same this week so I'm hoping for a loss. I don't drink enough-I know I don't but gonna try and push more fluids when exercising x

Another thing that my friend told me was that if you drink ice cold water your body actually has to BURN calories to warm it up, definitely an incentive for me to drink much more water. Lol.

Each body is different. Yes intially we might put on weight by exercising because our body is getting used to but as we continue we start losing again and will notice inch losses too.
I have upped my exercise and been 100% on plan (doing EE)this week so looking forward to see what happens.

dreamslim said:
The absolute biggest mistake anyone can make when exercising is not drinking enough water. It takes one year to gain muscle (unless, as your C says, it is 5 hours a day) and fat burns off far quicker so it would take a long time to see the 'gain'. When you exercise you, essentially, rip and stretch the muscles, this is why you sometimes ache the next day, it is your muscles crying out for water to help repair them.
If you drink enough water before, during and after exercise (I always aim to drink a litre in the 2 hours before, a litre during and a litre after during the rest of the day) then not only should it prevent you seeing the gains on the scale it should also help stop the aches and pains the following day (nothing can be done about the aches and pains the same day though, haha).
I did a 10k last year and drank my water before as we were supposed to be getting water during but they failed to announce that the water providers had let them down so I had to do the entire thing with no water. The next day as well as barely being able to walk and move I put on 9lbs on the scales!!!!!!!!!!! Despite having run 5k the week before in a much faster time and losing 3lbs.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a qualified personal trainer and nutritionist and he explained the muscles/water saga and since then I have never gained and never ached the following day no matter how much exercise I did.

Drink, drink and drink some more :)

One year to gain muscle?! That is definitely not right! If training yes we do tear muscles, and water is needed to repair but its protein that is more important. The torn muscles need to repair, and they repair larger so that they can bear the training better next time around - its a biological safety process. Muscle is built by protein. So yes water is required, but it does not take a year to gain muscle. My muscle mass has increased in just a few months noticeably.

One year to gain muscle?! That is definitely not right! If training yes we do tear muscles, and water is needed to repair but its protein that is more important. The torn muscles need to repair, and they repair larger so that they can bear the training better next time around - its a biological safety process. Muscle is built by protein. So yes water is required, but it does not take a year to gain muscle. My muscle mass has increased in just a few months noticeably.

According to my friend, the noticeable difference is usually muscle toning as opposed to muscle mass. In 12 months of training 5 times a week for 45 miutes to an hour people can expect a gain of 5-15lbs of muscle mass (the higher is usually seen in a man, women gain muscle far slower) BUT when doing this along with a diet such as slimming world, this should not show on the scales if you are following plan 100%.

Yes, the body does need protein to repair the muscle physically but it uses water to 'protect' the muscle while repairing so if you are not drinking enough water before during and after exercise the muscles will retain water in order to protect the muscle. The pain you feel the next day is due to dehydration or improper use of equipment.

I never knew that!! I really don't drink enough fluids ("I'm just not a thirsty person" should be on my headstone) and last time I did SW I always gained the weeks I did loads of exercise so stopped bothering after a while. But I want to start back to the gym again for general fitness, I'm definitely going to up my water and cross my fingers!!

Back