gastric band hypnotherapy

mum1022, How long ago did you have it done and did you have any top up sessions? It would be worth trying something like the Paul McKenna system as you are in complete control of the maintenance of the band. Whenever I feel that I am starting to eat too much or I feel that I'm not as in control as I'd like to be I just listen to the CD again and it starts me off all over again! You lost weight at first so something obviously worked, it could just be the way the hypnotist works isn't good for the long term.

Flower, I get a 'pain' high in my stomach if I eat too much. In the breastbone area. Which, interestingly, is where a real band would be placed and my friend who has a real band gets food stuck in this area if she eats too much or the wrong type of food.

I lost another 2lb this week which I am very pleased with :D onwards and downwards

Thanks taz only fitted last saturday and list a pound this week. I dont have a lot left to lose and feel I am losing very slowly. Do feel I can't eat as much as I do the 20 chews as advised by mr mckenna. :)

Hi

It was about a year ago, I didn't have any top up sessions as I was about disheartened with it I might try the paul McKenna one and see how I go thanks

Stick around here mum, most of us are Paul McKenna's! I had mine done one on one first but I couldn't go back for the top ups and finding the Paul McKenna one has been a real gem!

I bought the Paul McKenna HGB book a couple of weeks ago and I'm nearly ready to have the 'op'.

Your stories have been so inspiring and helpful so thank you so much for that.

I gave up weighing myself a couple of months ago as it does me no good whatsoever so I'm not going to be measuring how well I'm doing by the scales but just by the feeling of my clothes. I might even measure myself but I'm not sure I really want to see those numbers right now! If I was going on the scales I'd say I probably have about 3.5 - 4 stones to lose.

As with many of you I have spent most of my life on various diets, looking for the next thing which is going to 'fix' me. Of course, they never work for more than a couple of weeks before I'm back to the constant cycle of bingeing, feeling down, eating better for a week or two before the next binge starts etc.

I've taken some positive steps recently and gotten back into exercising 2-3 times per week and on the days I'm not bingeing, I stick to 3 meals a day of whatever food I want and with no snacks in between.

I am hoping the HGB will help me to make these changes more permanent and become a part of my life where I eat like normal sized people, meaning when I'm hungry and not just mindlessly stuffing food in because I think it's what I'm craving.

I have read the book and whilst DH is away with my sons (yayy, peace!) at the weekend I'll watch the DVD and have my op.

Please keep posting your successes and challenges on here as it's really helping me to believe that this is the time I am going to make this change for life.

Xx

Good luck Mairead! When I was dieting I used to have a 'fat' day after WI and just eat whatever I wanted and have a day off from the diet. Same with special occassions. Now I don't do that as there is no diet! I couldn't do a 'fat' day if I tried as I just can't eat that much anymore. It's really an amazing feeling

CBT

From reading further into these posts, I think I may need to try to sort out my historic eating problems before I'm able to us PM's HGB successfully. I've just looked up a hypnotist nearby and asked her for some further info on her training etc. I've also seen on FBook that she was looking for some volunteers for hypno-balloon where the rates would be greatly reduced. She wanted to start it in early July so she may already have the people she wants but I've emailed her anyway so hopefully she will want another person. That would probably be a bit too much good luck for me to expect though!

​I'm wishing you luck with that! Some CBT first would be a great idea if you have food issues

dd

Well done Sammym, that's an amazing loss!

I've still not done the Paul Mckenna cd yet as I'm waiting for a few hypnotherapists to get back to me to see if I can make sure I look at my historic eating problems.

I have though been following his four rules and that alone certainly helps.

One question: when I was eating my dinner tonight I was getting really bored after I had eaten two thirds of the meal as with the chewing 20 times it was taking ages. I wondered whether that was actually a signal that I was satisfied and therefore should have stopped eating? 90mins later and I'm feeling hungry so maybe it was just boredom rather than being satisfied.

Taz, I see you live in Bristol and seem to be getting on well with seeing a hypnotherapist? Could you tell me who you see please and what experience you've had? I'm in Royal Wootton Bassett so your therapist might be close enough and it would be good to see a recommended person.

Thanks in advance x

I haven't seen a therapist for a few years but she was good and I would recommend her. Unfortunately though, and the reason I couldn't go back for the top ups, she was in Birmingham. I went for the 2 sessions but after that I couldn't go back so easily and after losing a stone it kind of fell by the wayside. That said though, if it weren't for those initial sessions I don't think I would have had the success I am having now! I am now doing it the Paul McKenna way which is an absolute doddle, especially as I no longer have any emotional attachment to food :D

As for the boredom, I would say that it's either the boredom of chewing or of the food itself! One thing you may notice as you go through this process is that you will taste a lot more and some of the foods you once ate without thinking will become boring and bland and you may crave healthier and tastier food

Hgb

Thanks Taz.

The therapist I have found nearby has replied to me. She's on holiday at the moment so she's going to reply properly when she gets back.

In the meantime I'll listen to the PM cd in the hope that it works. I'm already following his four rules but hopefully this will help me to feel full quicker!

The CD has had a great effect for me and I love it! If you have read the book then listening to the CD should work but if you do have a lot of food issues you will probably benefit more from some help with that. I look at food as fuel now and eat when I am hungry and make more practical decisions. If I'm happy, sad, angry, emotional, I don't reach for food as a comfort. Some of my tastes have changed a little and I prefer things with a lot of flavour and more natural flavours. I enjoy food more than I ever did and my choices have changed a lot

How do you tend to cope with emotional eating now, i.e. What do you do to make yourself feel better when you ate angry, sad etc instead of turning to food?

My mood is fairly buoyant since listening to the CD as it makes me feel really happy and in control but when things aren't so great I just tend to deal with the issue. Once I reached for something in the cupboard and I looked at it and asked myself why I did that and did I really want it and would it solve anything. Obviously the answer was No so I put it back and haven't done it since. If something has wound me up or made me angry or upset I find something to do to take my mind off it. Last time I was really angry at something that happened at work I went to the gym and worked out my frustrations. If you can find a hobby or a sport or activity that lifts your mood and makes you feel good then that is a much better thing to do! It's having the presence of mind to think about your actions BEFORE you reach for the kitchen that makes the biggest difference. But knowing and accepting that the food will never make it better and possibly make it worse is definitely the first step

Wow, I've just had the op and my gastric band is in! I've no idea what the effect will be but listening to the cd is sooo relaxing. I feel like I've had another 8 hour sleep. Strangely there is a sensation in my stomach so I'm hoping my unconscious mind has taken something in.

Feeling positive about today's food x

I've listened to the cd 3 times now and i've not noticed any difference in feeling fuller quicker. I'm following the four rules and therefore eating mindfully and better overall. I just wish I had the feeling of being full after a small plate of food that others on here seem to have. I'm not serving myself big portions so it could just be that the amount on the plate is right for me.

I will keep listening to the cd daily for a while and see if anything changes. I've also ordered the ICMYT book so maybe the combination of the two cds will be better. If not, then I'm still eating mindfully so I'll still lose weight!

Back