Get it off your chest :o)

that is the problem though isnt it. There are lots of genuine reasons for people to be on benefits and no one is questioning them, it's the ones that stay on it to milk the system. The likes of the ones that we see constantly in the papers. Benefits should be only for people who need it and are in circumstances like yourself. x

Firstly, lets be clear about some things. The stuff the media feeds us is absolutely designed to get peoples backs up about those on benefits. They pick out extreme cases, where there is a large family or they are particularly workshy, and focus on them and build all the hype up about how lazy they are and how they shouldnt be getting all this money etc, but all it does is build resentment against anyone on any benefits, imply that they are inferior people to those who are working, and builds a far more general impression of lazy slobs cashing in on other people than is really the case.

This benefit cap thing, of £26000, well it is extremely unlikely that anyone outside of the London area will be getting anything like that amount of benefit. That cap includes not only their income support but their housing and council tax benefits, and other benefits as well. It has already been said in the media that this is designed to force the larger unemployed families out of London, because it is seen to be unfair that they can afford to live there when working people cannot. Or, in other words, clearing out the undesirables and filling the streets with people of means. No average working family could afford London rents on a basic salary.

A single person on JSA gets about 60 pounds a week if they are over 25, I think, but dont quote me. This is expected to feed them, pay all of their bills, clothe them, get them to work interviews, and most likely top up their rent by a small amount. Fuel has skyrocketed, food is skyrocketing all the time, £60 a week would go nowhere in terms of even basic survival.

A family, yes, will get more, but they will also get child tax credits (also available to those on low working incomes to top them up). You can argue that they shouldnt be having children they cant afford, but those children did not ask to be born.

I am not trying to paint all benefit claimants as saints, far from it. Of course there are people who take advantage but that is not the fault of their children.

What bothers me more is that there is no real opportunities for those people to go back into work, not only are they ALL being tarred by the same media brushes that paint them as second-rate citizens, but now they will be squeezed to the point where they will break. If you want to force people back into work, there has to be work and employers willing to give them a chance. That isnt happening and is unlikely to do so while the economy declines, and while more and more companies are folding, public services are being cut back and MORE people are ending up having to go cap in hand for a handout from the state.

The worse it gets, the more the children and families will suffer. Their diets will get poorer, their health will get poorer and the way things are going, the mortality rates at younger ages will increase.

What backward steps we are taking in the interests of a quick fix for the economy.

FWIW though, I do think the whole cutting the child benefit for one parent over the threshold but not two slightly under it is ridiculous. It should be done on a household income basis, and not on an individual one.

I'm sick to death of hearing 'Daily Mail' inspired rants about how easy life is for people on benefits. Living on benefits is not easy and the majority of people on them generally do not want to be in that position.

I have little sympathy for high earners losing out on Child Benefit. Of course I think it's unfair that it's based on individual earners and not joint income in households, but I'm not crying tears over people earning over 44k when the system gives me £51.80 to live on a week. Especially as these people are constantly whining about everyone else on benefits.

My rent gets paid, but not all of it and I only get around £7 towards my £44 a month council tax. By the time I've taken off that I have £37.55 left a week to pay for food, bills - gas, electric, internet, phone (yes I do need these final two if I want to look for a job), travel and any emergencies I might face.

My benefits does not pay me minimum wage, but I am expected to spend a full 40 hours a week looking for work. I am also expected to attend tedious, patronising 'sessions' on how to look for work. They're completely unhelpful, miss the point and leave me completely unmotivated. Believe me, the job center doesn't give a rats arse if I get a job or not, they have been absolutely useless and I've had to jump through hoops to get anything from them.

If the job center wanted to help me they would allow me to work voluntarily under 16 hours a week for post production houses. But no, they're not a charity so I'm now allowed to work for them. They go on about making contacts, it's not possible for me. I've left university with zero experience, so no one wants to hire me.

The way I was treated the day I made my claim was enough to reduce me to tears by the time I got home. I arrived at 12.00pm for my 12.30pm appointment. I didn't get seen until 3.30pm, got no answers if I asked what was going on and didn't dare leave the room incase they called out my name and I missed them, I would have had to start the entire process all over again. When I did get seen I was treated like a moron.

I am so thankful that I only have myself to look after. I couldn't imagine doing all of this with a family to be responsible for. I have no problem whatsoever with parents saving their benefits or asking the government to help them pay for a holiday. Or maybe saving up to buy a nice TV and a games console (believe me, on benefits you have to scrape to get the money for these things). I would love to have something to look forward to these days, most days I wonder why I even bother to get out of bed.

But go ahead, tell me how easy my life on the dole is if it makes you feel better!

at the moment, my family makes me want to scream ;)

however in general, I think rudeness would top my list..

People spitting in the street absolutely disgusting, where are their manners..I saw this twice yesterday..

but I'm not crying tears over people earning over 44k when the system gives me £51.80 to live on a week. Especially as these people are constantly whining about everyone else on benefits.

My rent gets paid, but not all of it and I only get around £7 towards my £44 a month council tax. By the time I've taken off that I have £37.55 left a week to pay for food, bills - gas, electric, Internet, phone (yes I do need these final two if I want to look for a job), travel and any emergencies I might face.

But go ahead, tell me how easy my life on the dole is if it makes you feel better!

How on earth do you manage ? You deserve some sort of special award for existing on this paltry amount of money. How do you eat ? How do you clothe yourself?

Everyone should be made aware of the true facts of benefits for someone in your position.

You are very obviously a well educated and informed person. It comes over in every post you make. There must surely be something out there for a girl of your calibre.

Please forgive me if you think I am being patronising. I promise you I am not. I am in shock at the thought of how you are forced to live when fat cat politicians live in relative luxury.

I wish you luck and success in finding a job. You deserve it.

Anyone who has not read your post in full should read it.

I get annoyed by broadband offers that say up to 20MB - this means absolutely NOTHING. One is up to 20MB and so is a half. Grr they think we are stoopid.:mad: Hope folk don't fall for it.

We keep on getting calls promising us superfast broadband - then when I ask them if they know where we actually live and that I can only get up to 2mb (on a very good day) they soon hang up.
I though companies were supposed to be stopping this?

How on earth do you manage ? You deserve some sort of special award for existing on this paltry amount of money. How do you eat ? How do you clothe yourself?

Everyone should be made aware of the true facts of benefits for someone in your position.

You are very obviously a well educated and informed person. It comes over in every post you make. There must surely be something out there for a girl of your calibre.

Please forgive me if you think I am being patronising. I promise you I am not. I am in shock at the thought of how you are forced to live when fat cat politicians live in relative luxury.

I wish you luck and success in finding a job. You deserve it.

Anyone who has not read your post in full should read it.

Thank you so much for this, sometimes I feel like I don't get through to people about how poor the benefits system is.

I manage by being really, really stingey :D I go through the reduced section, stick to supermarket basics and try to cook cheap meals in bulk. I haven't bought myself new clothes since I went on benefits a few months ago, which is why I'm a size 16/14 in size 20/22 clothes >_< My mum has bought me the occasional pair of jeans and is paying for my SW world classes. I've not had gas or electric bills yet, I'm dreading the day they arrive. I'm sure I'll cope though.

You don't sound patronising at all! Unfortunately it's difficult for me to get 'any old job' because companies paying the bare minimum don't want to hire someone who has the ability to get a better job. The jobs I'm qualified for just have far too many applicants with experience for me to compete with. Something will come along I'm sure, but for now all I can do is apply for everything and hope I hear back soon.

The government disgusts me, it's not just cuts on child benefits they want, they're threatening to cut what I'm getting for my weekly allowance. They tell me it's enough to 'live' on, they're wrong, you get enough to survive.

Thanks again, reading kind words like yours are great motivation :)

The government disgusts me, it's not just cuts on child benefits they want, they're threatening to cut what I'm getting for my weekly allowance. They tell me it's enough to 'live' on, they're wrong, you get enough to survive.

It must be bare survival.

I would love to invite a few members of Parliament to try doing a month on the money you receive. They would increase your allowance after the first week......... if they got that far !!!!

hugs xxx

hastalavegan.. I just wanted to say it sounds like your staying very positive despite your circumstances.. although i know some people benifit very well from being on benifits, i know first hand this isnt everyone..

my mum bought me and 6 other children up on benifits, unable to work because we were all so young, she had never expected to end up on benifits, but she made the best of it she could. She tried her hardest to make sure we never went without, but we made the best of what we had, and whilst being so young it was difficult at times to understand, i certainly appreciate what i have now. One day i hope my mum can live without worrying of money.

good luck to you finding a job hon, you deserve it! xxx

Can i just say, that i was working out my wages, and my tax credits and family benefit and i earn under £26k, and i pay full rent and council tax. It really gets my back up when people complain about this 26k limit for people on benefits. They will still be getting more than me in some cases and i work bloody hard for my money.

And another thing! Think I may be here quite often:eek:. It really gets my goat when sites stipulate what form your password has to be in. Has to be so many letters.....has to be so many letters and so many numbers and the latest one I have had is has to be so many letters - so many numbers AND a bloody capital letter or two FFS!:mad:

And another thing! Think I may be here quite often:eek:. It really gets my goat when sites stipulate what form your password has to be in. Has to be so many letters.....has to be so many letters and so many numbers and the latest one I have had is has to be so many letters - so many numbers AND a bloody capital letter or two FFS!:mad:

I have just done one like that and each time I go on it I forget it and put in my normal one.

I have just done one like that and each time I go on it I forget it and put in my normal one.

Its a real problem cos I have different ones now and I am constantly having to reset them because I forget them grrrrrrrr! I should keep a list but I can't be bothered.:eek:

Back