Get it off your chest :o)

I also object to the *brother* *sister* culture. I am not the sister of a total stranger.

Our compensation culture. Why do we get compensation for everything? We never used to do so???

No wonder insurance premiums are so flippin high.

General moaning - I always tell people who moan for no reason to be grateful they woke up that morning. A lot of people don't.

I agree with the one about not being able to eat pizza etc and still lose weight - I can't put one little foot wrong without resulting in a gain!

And I agree with Sue, shop assistants who carry on talking to their mates when you being served.

Our compensation culture. Why do we get compensation for everything? We never used to do so???

General moaning - I always tell people who moan for no reason to be grateful they woke up that morning. A lot of people don't

I remember on a visit to my best-est friend in England being out in a big town and being stopped by someone doing a survey for one of the companies of litigation lawyers who claim to get you great compensation for you.

Katie was very polite but could not resist asking, have you ever heard of the word accident and looked at the definition of it in the dictionary...........

an unfortunate mishap; especially one causing damage or injury .

For me a good day is every day I get out of bed and I tell people that when they are whinging on.

I'm sick to death of hearing 'Daily Mail' inspired rants about how easy life is for people on benefits. Living on benefits is not easy and the majority of people on them generally do not want to be in that position.

I have little sympathy for high earners losing out on Child Benefit. Of course I think it's unfair that it's based on individual earners and not joint income in households, but I'm not crying tears over people earning over 44k when the system gives me £51.80 to live on a week. Especially as these people are constantly whining about everyone else on benefits.

My rent gets paid, but not all of it and I only get around £7 towards my £44 a month council tax. By the time I've taken off that I have £37.55 left a week to pay for food, bills - gas, electric, internet, phone (yes I do need these final two if I want to look for a job), travel and any emergencies I might face.

My benefits does not pay me minimum wage, but I am expected to spend a full 40 hours a week looking for work. I am also expected to attend tedious, patronising 'sessions' on how to look for work. They're completely unhelpful, miss the point and leave me completely unmotivated. Believe me, the job center doesn't give a rats arse if I get a job or not, they have been absolutely useless and I've had to jump through hoops to get anything from them.

If the job center wanted to help me they would allow me to work voluntarily under 16 hours a week for post production houses. But no, they're not a charity so I'm now allowed to work for them. They go on about making contacts, it's not possible for me. I've left university with zero experience, so no one wants to hire me.

The way I was treated the day I made my claim was enough to reduce me to tears by the time I got home. I arrived at 12.00pm for my 12.30pm appointment. I didn't get seen until 3.30pm, got no answers if I asked what was going on and didn't dare leave the room incase they called out my name and I missed them, I would have had to start the entire process all over again. When I did get seen I was treated like a moron.

I am so thankful that I only have myself to look after. I couldn't imagine doing all of this with a family to be responsible for. I have no problem whatsoever with parents saving their benefits or asking the government to help them pay for a holiday. Or maybe saving up to buy a nice TV and a games console (believe me, on benefits you have to scrape to get the money for these things). I would love to have something to look forward to these days, most days I wonder why I even bother to get out of bed.

But go ahead, tell me how easy my life on the dole is if it makes you feel better!

Hastalavegan...I feel you. I've stayed in the same job for 7 years, with no hope of promotion because I can only do part-time hours due to leg pain. So, I get Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit. I am no longer entitled to Income Support since my son is over 10. I hate my job...it's like climbing a neverending hill and truly thankless. My son and I live off about £110.00 a week including wages, and after applying for JSA 6 weeks ago, I have still yet to be assessed. I refuse to get disability or incapacity, so I work through the pain when I can (I feel bad as my pain is weight related and so I don't feel entitled). If my rent and Council Tax wasn't being paid for, we'd be homeless.

I've applied for over 100 jobs these past 3 months alone (even those crappy "Telesales" ones (and I HATE telesales, but I'll do it). I've heard my degree refered to as a 'mickey mouse' course and I hate being on benefits of any kind. My son is an absolute STAR, we've been struggling, and he has complained very little of not having the latest phone or games or being able to go places. I want to work, but I was busy being academic, so now they want 'experience'. I can't afford to retrain, and there's also the issue of that pesky student loan.

I also hate the job center. And job adverts that say it's a 'trainee' role, but when you read the description they want you to know everything! And rude people. Seriously, is it that hard to say 'please' and 'thank you'?

The council housing bidding site.

Sign up, done. Now start bidding it says. Nope won't let me. Ring up helpline and get told i'll have my banding in 4 - 6 weeks. then I can bid

4 - 6 Weeks to look at a 5 page online form and catagorise my need for housing!!!

Ditto above. Job Centre is useless. Once went in there to find a job and they seemed amazed I hadn't signed on and was wanting a job. They seem incapable of actually helping you find work.
Benefit is a very low income to be on, I know i'm on it atm, You subsist but trying to actually live and stay motivated is a struggle. I'm lucky as I lodge and housing benefit covers my rent and utility bills. But the Employment support allowance I got for being off sick and unable to work is a joke.

Just glad I'm able to look for work now and will hopefully get summat soon. Guaranteed interviews by ticking the disability box. Cancer has it's benefits.

Last edited:
Hastalavegan...I feel you. I've stayed in the same job for 7 years, with no hope of promotion because I can only do part-time hours due to leg pain. So, I get Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit. I am no longer entitled to Income Support since my son is over 10. I hate my job...it's like climbing a neverending hill and truly thankless. My son and I live off about £110.00 a week including wages, and after applying for JSA 6 weeks ago, I have still yet to be assessed. I refuse to get disability or incapacity, so I work through the pain when I can (I feel bad as my pain is weight related and so I don't feel entitled). If my rent and Council Tax wasn't being paid for, we'd be homeless.

I've applied for over 100 jobs these past 3 months alone (even those crappy "Telesales" ones (and I HATE telesales, but I'll do it). I've heard my degree refered to as a 'mickey mouse' course and I hate being on benefits of any kind. My son is an absolute STAR, we've been struggling, and he has complained very little of not having the latest phone or games or being able to go places. I want to work, but I was busy being academic, so now they want 'experience'. I can't afford to retrain, and there's also the issue of that pesky student loan.

:(

I cannot believe you applied for JSA and in 6 weeks you haven't been assessed? Have you chased them up about it? Unfortunately that's the only way things get done at the job center. They very conveniently lose and misplace things. Bear in mind that if you do under 16 hours work and you earn more than you would on JSA they generally won't help you. If this is the case I would apply for disability benefit, heck I would apply for it either way. It's there to help people in your situation, whatever you feel about it you ARE entitled.

here are TONS of cuts going on at the job centers now thanks to our lovely Conservative government. People who need help with interview clothes aren't being offered help but have to attend an interview where they will be assessed for whether they 'need' it or not. I wonder how this is supposed to be judged, they made it sound like this would be judged on appearance. Loads of staff will be losing their jobs soon and the guidelines for help are becoming extremely strict.

It is so depressing applying for hundreds of jobs and hearing nothing back. My degree has been mocked as well, but then I heard it all before while I was at uni. It sounds like your son is brilliant in this situation. I wish you both the best of luck

Ditto above. Job Centre is useless. Once went in there to find a job and they seemed amazed I hadn't signed on and was wanting a job. They seem incapable of actually helping you find work.
Benefit is a very low income to be on, I know i'm on it atm, You subsist but trying to actually live and stay motivated is a struggle. I'm lucky as I lodge and housing benefit covers my rent and utility bills. But the Employment support allowance I got for being off sick and unable to work is a joke.

That's the problem with the job center, they're there to tick the boxes, not help you find a job. I was disgusted to see that we have only been asked whether we have CVs during our week 10 back to work session. Someone in our group had been trying to get a job for 10 weeks without one, when they found out they simply suggested she get one. Help for cover letters and CVs is only offered after 13-16 weeks of unemployment apparently :rolleyes:

The council housing bidding site.

Sign up, done. Now start bidding it says. Nope won't let me. Ring up helpline and get told i'll have my banding in 4 - 6 weeks. then I can bid

4 - 6 Weeks to look at a 5 page online form and catagorise my need for housing!!!

Omg, is that the Locata site? I hated that when I was on it, and that was before it was 100% online!

Thanks for the advice Hastalavegan, have spoken with them - apparently giving in my payslips and whatnot amounts to 'not declaring my work hours', i.e 'we lost your stuff and instead of asking you for more copies AND admitting our blatant mistake, we'll just say your not entitled, won't explain, won't correspond and hope you find a job before you notice.' It's like a vicious cycle with them! I'm using my uni's employment service now. They've been really good helping me 'remodel' my CV and doing workshps on interview techniques etc.

I also dislike the fact that a majority of things on offer (BOGOF, reduced price) at Tesco are not of the healthy variety! Every week, chocs and crisps and biscuits with up to 50% off in some cases, and since our local one is being refurbished, they put them right up front next to the fruit and veg!!!!!

I hate the fact that we now seem to live in a world of initials. It really infuriates me.

Could that be because I am an old fogie and more than half the time do not understand them. I no longer ask what they stand for. I just ignore the thread if I do not understand.

Also hate blatant bad spelling. All of us slip up now and again but when it looks as if it is just down to laziness I cringe. We can all use spell check on the google toolbar. It takes seconds.

I also cringe at really bad grammar. My own is far from perfect but really, really bad grammar is awful.

Gosh that was a good a rant before 7.30 a.m. in the morning.

Great topic. Thanks !!

BFN LOL !!!!

Oooh Sue, once again I agree with you. I am such a lover of the English language and really don't like to see it used in a bad way! I hate the shorthand everyone uses these days - my daughter is a clever girl and very articulate when speaking, yet she uses this awful text speak. I think it encourages laziness and also they forget how to spell - they really do!
I understand where text speak came from (ie charged for pages per text on mobile phones and to keep text messages short) but sometimes it rattles me when I can't understand my daughter's texts!

I'm a bit too picky sometimes when the wrong their, there, they're is used but that's just me. I also hate the incorrect usage of apostrophes but, again, that's just me being picky!

text talk

Oooh Sue, once again I agree with you. I am such a lover of the English language and really don't like to see it used in a bad way!

I'm a bit too picky sometimes when the wrong their, there, they're is used but that's just me. I also hate the incorrect usage of apostrophes but, again, that's just me being picky!

I'm a linguistic vigilante too. I particularly hate an apostrophe in "it's" when it doesn't belong there. It's one of the simplest rules of grammar - there is only an apostrophe in "it's" when "it's" short for "it is". :D

Oh, don't get me started on grammar, apostrophes, split infinitives, and lately it's also been commas that have got me going....

There, their, they're.
Your, you're.
Its, it's.
And the I/me/myself thing...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

'Poncy peeps what av probz wiv fickos like I innit.
Me n me broz gonna show dem all pain like.'

I'm a bit dyslexic, I do occasionally mix my worms up and make the odd grammatical faux pas, but even I draw the line at troll speak.

Basic spelling and grammar annoys the hell out of me, well the incorrect variety anyway. Half the reason young people can't get it right is because they're not taught it at school, I'm 27 and we were only taught nouns and verbs and not much else, but I'm a bookworm and my mum used to be a proof reader so while mine isn't always perfect (sometimes because I'm being lazy or it's a typo) it is usually complete ignorance!

People that say arks instead of ask.... somethink instead of something, do you know what I mean???
Manners are one that really wind me up, customers all the time that completely ignore us- makes me want to throw their drinks at them!! Then of course there's those ignorant b******s that come in on their phones and whisper their drinks or food order at you which is when I "accidently" get them wrong!! can you really not put your phone down for more than 2 seconds?! It's so rude!!

Back