Get tired easy on cross trainer

kimmeh

We purchased a v-fit cross trainer 3 days ago and was very excited using it. I said I'd be on there for a good half an hour to an hour every day but bloody hell.

I'm knackered after only a few minutes o being on there, on the easiest setting and have to come off for a water break.

How long do you think it would be when I can actually be on there for 15 minutes or longer without coming off for a break?

I'm really irritated at the moment, I just want to lose some weight. Would an exercise bike be easier? I got told that cross trainer would be more effective.

I also have a Pro Abs machine, are they any good for toning up and actually losing weight off stomach and abs?
I currently do 40 ab crunches a day along with forearm curls etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Good for you for giving it a go! I have to say, though, exercise isn't really meant to be easy; if it's easy, chances are you won't get anything out of it. You've got to put in some effort and some sweat, and believe me, you'll see those inches go.

Try working out a plan for yourself, start at 5 minutes at lowest settings, do that a few days, then start increasing by a minute or 2, and increasing the settings gradually.

as daft as it sounds put more resistance on so that your not trying to control going too fast that could be your reason why its tiring you so much

as said its not meant to be easy i know i do half hour on it and sweat like crazy but is very rewarding lol

Ive been using the cross trainer at the gym 4 times a week for the last 3 weeks and I have to say its getting a little bit easier,yay!
At first I had to stop after 2 minutes. I can now go 10 minutes without stopping.
I started with the 2 mins then the next time I said to myself 'right Im not gonna stop til ive done 4 mins' and pushed myself to do it. so just work the time up slowly but try to push yourself a little to finish the time you've set yourself.
I hope that makes sense!
x

I've just purchased a cross trainer to lose my last few pounds and tone up and OMG I agree! I nearly died after the 15 minutes and had to get off. That was on a fairly high setting though (the peak one). Didn't like that at the end it measures your pulse and it said I was 'very unfit'. Hmmm!

i do it in 10 minute blocks and have 2 minute breaks inbetween to catch my breath and have some water. i can easily do 40 mins like that and im reallllly unfit!

Kimmeh,

How are you gettting on with the Cross Trainer since your last post?

If you want to go for 15 minutes straight (which is a good small-term goal to shoot for, so good thinking) I'd suggest you try Interval Training.

This means that you perform an interval of high intensity work, followed by a low intensity interval to get your energy back. This way, you get to work hard, but also get enough rest so you can keep going.

Done correctly, this type of training will result in far more calories being burned than if you were to keep exercising at a steady speed.

So....

I'd recommend starting off with 5 mins at an easy pace,
Then, put the resistance level up to a point where it feels as though you are working at an 8/10 level (10 being maximal!)
Keep at this level for 30 seconds,

Then turn the resistance down so its nice and easy, and go for 60 seconds.

Repeat this 30s High / 60s Low intensity pattern for 15 minutes if thats possible. If you give this a try your fitness will improve dramatically, and your metabolism will be raised.

If you give it a try, let me know.

Justin (I'm a Personal Trainer from Wales btw)

Back