Getting expensive

Zoesastar

Silver Member
Not sure how long i could keep doing Dukan, its costing a fortune £65 in tesco on saturday and another £55 today

Any cheap tips?

I've actually saved money since I started Dukaning last year. Yes, some of the ingredients cost more, but I have saved on snack foods and sandwiches every single week.

There used to be a thread on here called "Dukan on a budget" which highlighted special offers.

Ways to save money?

Eggs are a good way to increase protein intake for very little outlay - last night I made stir-fry beef and added an egg.

I regularly look for whole chickens and whole joints which are reduced in price - by far the most cost way to buy meat. In the last few weeks I have bought a whole uncooked ham reduced from £20 to £8, a large free-range chicken reduced from £10 - £6, a joint of beef reduced from £15 - £10, a bag of rump steaks reduced from £13 - £6, and a piece of blade steak reduced from £6-£1.50.

All were well within the "display until" dates, all of them kept me supplied with low-cost lunches and suppers for days at a stretch.

Ive ALWAYS looked for reduced meat, even before Dukan. Makes no difference to me at all because i freeze most of my meat anyway!

I made burgers the other day, dunno what i did wrong but they were horrible!

What recipe did you use? Burgers cab be pretty nasty without the right seasoning.

My favourite at the moment are Thai-style turkey burgers - turkey mince with fresh lemon grass, red chillies, garlic, spring onion, limejuice salt and pepper.

Lean mince with chilli flakes & black pepper. Not very exciting, no wonder they tasted so bland lol

I had a few disaster when I started (foul galettes, bland "hockey puck" burgers, burnt eggs).

Chilli and blackpepper sounds like a good start though - why not try curry or tandoori spices, eat them with a yogurt and coriander dip, like a kabob.

I dont like the gallettes, i use my oatbran to make a cookie for breakfast.

Honestly i shouldnt eat alot of red meat coz of IBS so id be happy never to eat burgers, but im trying to make it as normal as i can for my other half!!

Butter nut squash chips are the thing im looking forward to the most on cruise, i love them!!

Hmmmm... you maybe surprised.

My IBS disappeared entirely on cruise - and only made a come back when I re-introduced supermarket bread 8 months later.

I find farmfoods great for bulk buying fish, last week i got 2 packs of smoked haddock for £5 (think there was 5 portions in each & 3 packs of salmon for £10 4 portions in each, prawns etc were all on special too

I definitely don't find it more expensive eating this way - no alcohol, take-away or dessert/chocolate/crisps etc cancels out the cost of protein. Soups are a good idea - I cooked a large chicken yesterday and made up loads of soup and stock for the freezer. Worked out each large portion of chicken soup was about 70p!! And bulk buy eggs. Save steak for treat meals.

I'll have to pop there. That sounds great :) it may seem expensive but there may be things your not doing while dieting and saving money on. Buying alcohol, night's out, take aways, maybe picking up something to wear etc. The little things that we dont even think about :) x

I would get some turkey mince and make burgers and put some chickens in freezer. £7 for two. I think Iceland have lots of good deals and it may be worth doing a trip to farmfoods

I completely sympathise...so much money going out at the moment it's unreal! Particularly yoghurt etc to have the oats in (have caved to the minging Greek stuff :( ). Feel like I'm never out of the supermarket getting more damned protein-with this and the night out I was so well behaved on there better be a loss on the weigh in tomorrow! X

I think this diet can be expensive but good use of the freezer, and checking out offers before going to shops (most supermarkets have online brochures) can be a lifesaver. I always write my shopping list, and plan next week's menus, according to offers! I also go shopping at the time I know reduced items are on the shelves (here it's at opening time so worth getting up for! i think in the UK each shop is different) Packaged hams etc are expensive, but keep them for emergencies, cook yourself from scratch and it works out far cheaper (in my opinion) to my "previous food life" :D

I bought some fish bits from Iceland when in the UK and was surprised how reasonable they were... (mind you most things seem cheaper than here everywhere!)

I completely sympathise...so much money going out at the moment it's unreal! Particularly yoghurt etc to have the oats in (have caved to the minging Greek stuff :( ). Feel like I'm never out of the supermarket getting more damned protein-with this and the night out I was so well behaved on there better be a loss on the weigh in tomorrow! X

If you have a slow cooker then have a go at making your own greek yoghurt, it isn't minging, more like whipped cream if you drain it, doesn't compare to the bought stuff.

See the link in my signature for the recipe.

I make it virtually every day but only use a small 1.8 ltr s/c, you can get those in Argos at the minute for £5.99, they are only 90watts and you only need it on for 2½ hrs, will cost you a few pence in electricity to use it.

;)

Might have a shot! Have a slow cooker somewhere! X

Back