Goldilukes Diary of a food zombie

The best advice I ever got about substituting milk n sugar in my coffee is to change my pallet rather than to swap above for sweetener or low fat milk (doing low cal diet at the time).

I Used to have 2 sugars n milk. First week it was with 1 sugar n normal milk, then a week with no sugar n normal milk, then half the normal amount of milk, then a quarter of my normal milk amount, took about a month.

It worked for me and now instead of craving a milky sugar coffee, I just crave coffee. Like with the Atkins bar, just make you crave what you can't have and isn't the same. Sorry for such a long post.

Hope you find a solution. x

Dont apologise for the long post, I am appreciative that you took the time to advise. I agree about changing pallets. I used to drink 2 sugars and coffee mate light but then when I started Atkins I immediately stopped the sugar, then the coffee mate and swapped it for double cream. However the cals in cream are quite big and I drink at least 6 coffees per day. I found soya cream to be ok and less cals, maybe even less carbs just worried about what it can do to me if I have thyroid but I'm going to stick with it until diagnosed because t does help me lose weight.
how are you keeping?

That's exactly what I did Toni.

i used to drink coffee with loads of milk and two sugars but I've gradually weaned myself off and now I drink it black occasionally with one sweetener but more usually none at all. I've trained myself to like it. I think if somebody made me a milky sweet coffee now I wouldn't be able to drink it - even the thought of it makes me feel slightly queasy lol xx

Its amazing what we get used to in time isn't it? :)

Morning everyone, I'm in so much exercise pain it's brilliant. I added more moves, more sit ups, side crunches...ouch. Lunges up and down my drive which is long and I nearly fell to the floor my legs where like jelly. Nearly toppled my treadmill over I was doing so well with pull ups lol.

im 10.0.6 today and its time to sort the diet out, my exercising for me is great I've no concerns but my cals/carbs are creeping up and need nipping in the bud. I want to see the 9s again but this time for good until the 8s.

I eat a bowl of all bran each day because it keeps me regular and I believe this is more important than losing extra weight. I don't find eating oodles of veg helps me the way it helps others so happy to have found something that works but at 26g carb per bowl I have to limit to one per day and watch my carbs elsewhere.

i do great during the day and then at night when dogs have gone to bed and Im on the sofa watching my catch ups I love to have something to chew, so have apple cut up in to segments, pieces of cheese and 2 squares of 90% Lindt.

Im going to ditch the apple as its got more carbs than the Lindt and start on the soya cream again in my coffees. I'm going through a huge tub of double cream in 2-3 days, can't be good but amazing I don't ramp up the scales.....strange.

menu yesterday.
B 2 coffees cream, 1 bowl natural yoghurt with handful of all ran sprinkled in.
L pepperami, 25g Red Leicester, 4 feta cubes, 4 picante peppers?, 1 ham roll up with leerdammer, lettuce and mayo.
D 7 prawns with pepper stir fry and veg, garlic, ginger, chilli.
S 25g vintage cheddar, 1 golden delicious apple, 2 squares 90% Lindt.

1 costa iced americano with pouring cream and around 6 coffees at home with cream. 4 maybe more litres water.

am I eating far too much? Be honest?

What worries me is to be thin do I need to go hungry? I'm maintaining perfectly for 10 stone....but I don't want I be 10 stone. I want to be 8-1/2 so do I need to cut my throat to get there? What do I need to do? I'm honestly worried and would love advice on this?

Morning Lauren

There are a gazillion studies out there to show that if you seriously reduce your food intake to lose weight, your body will fight against it. Or you might lose but it's a dangerous and unsustainable way of approaching weight loss, and the weight will pile back on even quicker. So please don't do that!

I know you don't want to eat lots of veg, but why not just try substituting the bran for a bowl of wilted spinach - just for a few days - and see if it makes a difference?

In the longer term what about trying a low carb 5:2, maybe shock jock your body into losing a bit more?

:bighug:

Last edited:
Hi Lauren, I'm back!

Great to see you're doing so well. I'm impressed with the exercise! I'm going to restart the gym this time round. Ill need a boot up the backside to get started!

Your pics are fab. You are a wee skelf! There's nothing of you!!!! Exercise wise... Pilates/yoga would also be good for you so you don't overdo it doing same exercises? Heard hot yoga is great! I'm guessing you can't get to classes easily... Well done anyway. I'm highly impressed. Laughed at the thought of you lunging up n down ur driveway!

Don't know the answer to ur question about food. I did wonder what ur cholesterol level is tho?!

Anyway I'll go n check out ur you tube! X

Restarted CD 31 Aug
5ft 1" 13st 2 BMI 37.2

Thank you and you are right about the less of evils. Il stick with the soya cream until I know for sure because using that instead of double cream does help keep my weight going down. Just hope I'm not inner harming myself :)
which diet you on?

well, if you are you had no true way of knowing that the soya was actually hideing more evil that it let on at first sight. Can only even go with the info you have at the time, then at least you know you did the best you could at the time... ( a bit philosophical )

I'm doing cambridge woooo lol I actually quiet like it.

Hellooooo!!!! You are doing good with the exercise and sounding chirpy :) as far as too much food, no way, maybe not enough....!
Have you tried having a proper lunch? sounds like you are über busy during the day and grabbing what you can but you could try what Susie said and have something like spinach and some protein, try ramping the calories up and see what happens. Oh and eggs! Try having at least a couple a day (are you eating any?)
The cream by the sound of it is doing no harm for maintaining, maybe drop one or two. Ive been using a couple of teaspoons coconut milk and one cream just to keep the creaminess but reduce the carbs, liking it.
I have been rubbish the last week only eating tea and its done no good at all! xx

Morning Lauren

There are a gazillion studies out there to show that if you seriously reduce your food intake to lose weight, your body will fight against it. Or you might lose but it's a dangerous and unsustainable way of approaching weight loss, and the weight will pile back on even quicker. So please don't do that!

I know you don't want to eat lots of veg, but why not just try substituting the bran for a bowl of wilted spinach - just for a few days - and see if it makes a difference?

In the longer term what about trying a low carb 5:2, maybe shock jock your body into losing a bit more?

:bighug:

Morning susie, I know the first half of your post is a no go because the weight will just come get me with a vengeance. I agree about the veggies but I can not eat spinach....blerghhhh I've tried but its gross. Good for pop eye not for Lauren Luke :( celery too, ergh yuck!

I think the 5:2 could be good for me but not sure what I want to do right now diet wise, I feel a wee bit messed up and think back to induction could be my only hope right now.

Hi Lauren, I'm back!

Great to see you're doing so well. I'm impressed with the exercise! I'm going to restart the gym this time round. Ill need a boot up the backside to get started!

Your pics are fab. You are a wee skelf! There's nothing of you!!!! Exercise wise... Pilates/yoga would also be good for you so you don't overdo it doing same exercises? Heard hot yoga is great! I'm guessing you can't get to classes easily... Well done anyway. I'm highly impressed. Laughed at the thought of you lunging up n down ur driveway!

Don't know the answer to ur question about food. I did wonder what ur cholesterol level is tho?!

Anyway I'll go n check out ur you tube! X

Restarted CD 31 Aug
5ft 1" 13st 2 BMI 37.2

Hia bubbly, have missed you. Glad you are back, where have you been?

thanks for the fab comments on my pics and exercise. You are right, getting to classes or gym is miles from where I am and I don't drive, rely on oh :( so desperately need to re do driving lessons for some independence. That is why I have pieces of equipment at home, planning on getting a rowing machine, stepper and bike for the home gym here.

Ive no idea what my cholesterol levels are, I keep meaning to fill the new doctor form in to register at the surgery because I moved and currently don't have a one. I will get on with it this week, there's loads of stuff adding up I need tests done on now.

How are you?

well, if you are you had no true way of knowing that the soya was actually hideing more evil that it let on at first sight. Can only even go with the info you have at the time, then at least you know you did the best you could at the time... ( a bit philosophical )

I'm doing cambridge woooo lol I actually quiet like it.

True I just hope I am not doing damage, after what I read its really not good stuff to have if you've got thyroid troubles. We will see.

Cambridge is HARD respect to you for enjoying it. I went mental on it and could only think of food food food and more food, surprised I lasted 5-6 weeks on it. I do worry that since its been about 3 months since I finished it and that's the time when my hair started to come away more than normal if its linked. My friend lost loads of hair on it so that frightened me. I am often tempted to go back though as it does whop the weight off.

Hellooooo!!!! You are doing good with the exercise and sounding chirpy :) as far as too much food, no way, maybe not enough....!
Have you tried having a proper lunch? sounds like you are über busy during the day and grabbing what you can but you could try what Susie said and have something like spinach and some protein, try ramping the calories up and see what happens. Oh and eggs! Try having at least a couple a day (are you eating any?)
The cream by the sound of it is doing no harm for maintaining, maybe drop one or two. Ive been using a couple of teaspoons coconut milk and one cream just to keep the creaminess but reduce the carbs, liking it.
I have been rubbish the last week only eating tea and its done no good at all! xx

morning tee, are you sure you don't think I'm eating enough? I feel like the piglet of the group! I read everyone's menus and they are like 4 lines long and tiny. Mine are huge.
i definitely need to eat more eggs and funnily enough I had scrambled yesterday. I do need them more often though. Hate spinach, need to think of an alternative veg that's just as good.
i think I may need to up my fats, lower my carbs, feel proteins are fine.

Id never thought about using coconut milk, that sounds nice :) will try it and wonder about coconut cream? Would that work?

Morning everyone, really upset today because I am 10.1.8 I know I shouldn't weigh every day but I already feel I know my pattern so if I wait a week to see il be the same anyway.

i ate ok yesterday compared to normal days....I really went to bed thinking I'd be in the 9s because I didn't snack late last night, went to be starving and couldn't drop off because of it. Drank soya in majority of coffees instead of cream.

menu yesterday.
B 2 cream coffees, 1 bowl all bran.
L 3 slices bacon, 2 sausages, 2 eggs scrambled, touch of mayo.
D 2 ham roll ups with leerdammer and lettuce with touch of mayo.
2 squares of 90% Lindt.

I even burned 215 cals on my treadmill, done two lots of my exercises and was dripping with sweat because I gave it my all. I am in so much pain today from it and I feel bigger. I drank my 4 litres water, had less coffees and was busy out as well. :(meh...........

oh well il keep going because even if this is it........it's 10x better than where I came from.
Sorry I couldn't relay a happier post for you all today but my diary has always been honest and honestly one is not amused today.

Morning everyone, really upset today because I am 10.1.8 I know I shouldn't weigh every day but I already feel I know my pattern so if I wait a week to see il be the same anyway.

Morning honey

Please don't be too upset, your doing great and look great and it will move the way you want again!! As your working really hard at it :)

Daily weighing screwed me up. I know you want to keep a handle on things but it can be really dangerous for your mental health.

I didn't have scales since 2000 as in the past I was obsessed with weighing myself every morning and night and it became very negative and mentally unhealthy for me if the scale moved in the wrong direction it would ruin my whole day and make me depressed etc.

After ditching the scales I spent many years at my lowest weight ever but after a really stressful time in my life and not paying attention to diet and exercise because I was too stressed, I ended up weighing more than I ever have. So I relented and bought some scales as after reading your posts I think they can be helpful as a motivator if used correctly. And in helping me to stick with it. I am sticking to Thursday mornings weekly. :)

I just don't want you to get where I did with it, from the daily weighing and for it to make you miserable, as I just get a sense of it. I hope you don't mind me saying all this.

Your a beautiful girl at any weight by the way, so be proud of yourself. You're doing amazing. :):thumbup:

Take care xxx

Ps if you're exercising a lot more now also remember muscle weighs more than fat, so that could account for it xxx

Awww Lauren! Not going to say too much about the daily weighing, as I do it myself to see how different foods affect me. It doesn't upset me as much as it seems to bother you though, so *maybe* part one of your action plan could be to cut down on the weighing?

Now to the food... I think the thing is, at the moment, you are neither on one thing nor the other dietwise. I can understand you introducing the all-bran, especially after the problems you had with going to the loo, but your menus are not Atkins, not calorie counting, not really anything at the moment, and in my opinion, not enough food either, for the exercise you are doing.

You said it yourself in one of your posts that you are not sure where to go dietwise. If you go back to induction, which you mentioned, then I think you'll need to really study the induction rules and apply them right from the start - your menus are often nearly all processed meats, cheeses, coffee, cream and chocolate - all things which Atkins says are notorious for stalling weight loss (maybe not the chocolate, actually, but definitely the others) Now, add into the equation that you are doing loads of exercise, and I think you have a double whammy situation where you are actually not eating enough to fuel your body for what you are making it do, but what you are eating is the wrong stuff, and too high carb to kick start the weight loss/ketosis. Short version = too many carbs, too much processed, not enough calories/nutrition.

Now hun, please don't think I am telling you off here. God knows I am hardly the poster queen of dieting! I just hate to see you so upset and I think now you need to reconsider your approach. It is not a case here of work harder, but work 'better' - for 'better' here, read 'different.'

If you are going to stick with Atkins, it needs to be Atkins, a complete induction restart, and that means a clean induction, very little processed foods, thinking about cheese, and whether it is stalling you, exactly by the book, the read, re-read, multiple thumbed, he-who-must-be-obeyed book, (maybe even giving up the coffee!) followed by a gradual re-introduction of foods as per the rules of OWL. No tweaks, no 'a little bit of this won't hurt' because it will. I think he actually calls that the kiss of death aporoach

If that is a no-no because you need your all bran to keep you regular, or because of the coffee/loving the ham, pepperoni etc (and believe me, I really do understand on that one!) then maybe low low carb isn't the best approach for you. Perhaps another plan that allows all those things you love would be a better option.

Atomic Pink, who has a diary in the WW part of the forum is trying a 're-set' where she is eating her daily expenditure in calories for a period of time to 're-set' her metabolism, which has basically been put out of kilter by long term dieting. The idea is that once the body is reset and the metabolism is back to normal then you reduce calories again, by a small amount, to restart your losses. Like you, she was doing a lot of exercise, but not losing, although she had been sticking to WW. Then she read about this reset idea, worked out her daily calories, and once she had taken away her exercise calories, she was only in credit around 500 calories. Not enough to fuel the body. I am not suggesting you need to do the same, but maybe you need to eat more of the 'right' things for a while, to give your body a chance and to fuel it for the exercise. Then think about which plan will suit you best. Get that Doctor's appointment sorted out, as all of this could be being made a lot worse if you do have thyroid troubles.

Tbh, I reckon ditch the scales for a bit, spend a fortnight on 'healthy eating' with veggies, clean meat, minimal pricessed food, and give your body a chance to settle down, exercise, but not obsessively. No counting calories, carbs, nothing. Give yourself some breathing room. Remind yourself how far you have come already. Read the Atkins book, but with no attempt at following it - just to consider exactly what you will need to do, if you do decide to go back to induction. Then, refreshed, Doctor's appointments sorted, start on the next phase of Operation Lauren!

You can do this my love, but you need to be kind to yourself first.

Now come here and have one of these!:bighug:

Hi Lauren

Throw those scales in the bin!!!

Be interested to see what u choose diet wise...

I've been off site eating! Having a ball with my OH and family. Trips, spa weekend, birthday and anniversary etc. oH has gone abroad to work again so my diary is clear-ish to beast the diet again. I'm flying out to meet him on 26 Oct so have a good incentive :)

X

Restarted CD 31 Aug
5ft 1" 13st 2 BMI 37.2

Hi Lauren

Throw those scales in the bin!!!

Be interested to see what u choose diet wise...

I've been off site eating! Having a ball with my OH and family. Trips, spa weekend, birthday and anniversary etc. oH has gone abroad to work again so my diary is clear-ish to beast the diet again. I'm flying out to meet him on 26 Oct so have a good incentive :)

X

Restarted CD 31 Aug
5ft 1" 13st 2 BMI 37.2

Off site eating sounds very good! As does flying out to meet the OH! Where will you be flying to?

Well said Moonwatcher! Lauren I read your post and thought exactly the same but decided to go and have breakfast and think about my reply :D Atkins is very unforgiving if you tweak it. You need to follow it to the letter to lose. You can't mix diets unfortunately. It was the same with vlcd where people were trying to do an Atkins meal. Doesn't work! Even if you don't eat carbs the calorie content is high so you're no longer vlCd. It's the same with your albran. I watched the men who made us thin yesterday and they were talking about food labelling - they were referring to fizzy drinks but the principle is the same. Your portion may only contain 20g or so carbs but if you look at the bigger picture the albran is actually 48% carbs. Here's a little illustration for you lol. We're not being mean just trying to help!
image.jpg

Well said Moonwatcher! Lauren I read your post and thought exactly the same but decided to go and have breakfast and think about my reply :D Atkins is very unforgiving if you tweak it. You need to follow it to the letter to lose. You can't mix diets unfortunately. It was the same with vlcd where people were trying to do an Atkins meal. Doesn't work! Even if you don't eat carbs the calorie content is high so you're no longer vlCd. It's the same with your albran. I watched the men who made us thin yesterday and they were talking about food labelling - they were referring to fizzy drinks but the principle is the same. Your portion may only contain 20g or so carbs but if you look at the bigger picture the albran is actually 48% carbs. Here's a little illustration for you lol. We're not being mean just trying to help!
View attachment 105403

That made me smile Dietkitty, as I very nearly didn't reply - hate to come across as mean, and it can be very difficult when you are typing a reply, much harder than face to face. Exactly right though, generally, diets like these don't mix.

Hi Moonwatcher

Ill be flying out to Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh for few days then somewhere else. Maybe Hanoi, Halong Bay or Mha Trang. Not sure where else!

I'm on a major diet now. The Vietnamese are tiny!!!

Restarted CD 31 Aug
5ft 1" 13st 2 BMI 37.2

Back