Goldilukes Diary of a food zombie

Morning all,

woke today same weight 10.1.6 and yesterday was a carb down although my mam had bought a custard apple and had me try some. It was lovely! And I think I will incorporate them in to my up days.

ive decided on a experimental plan to ease my transaction in to maintenance. I've been looking online and found cheat to lose diet and I think I may follow that throughout the week to see if it can work for me at this stage I'm my weight loss.

oh and today just remembered I'm joining the gym!!!!!!yeah yeah yeah yeah!

Yesterday ay my carb down day 1 I ate
gammon and dippy egg
Walnuts and jack cheese
green beans in melted butter and sea salt with pollock...yum
1 glass of almond milk and a tsp peanut butter I use whole earth but can only stomach tsp....it's so thick and salty. It stopped my sugar cravings though so did the trick.

today is another carb down and then I'm doing 2 light carb/ low GI then 2 moderate to high carb /high GI like bread and bananas. Then 1 cheat day where I can eat what the hell I like. Who knows we will see. I'm doing the gym on top of this and will do certain workout days depending on my plan the day before meal wise.

i feel trimmer around the stomach but haven't took measurements which I should. Will do those but basically I have these jeans which are still tight and so when I slip in them I know I'm down kinda measurement thingy :)

Love your diary Lauren. Very interesting. Do you do up and dd carb cycles?

Love your diary Lauren. Very interesting. Do you do up and dd carb cycles?

hi :)

yes but have just started so can't really advise if it really works plus I'm not one of those well behaved dieters who stick to things rigidly. Ie have always drank gallons of cream throughout which is naughty) but if I don't do certain naughty my way things i won't stick anything out..I am a diet rebel :)

its ts weirdly working so far juggling carbs and cals around so there definitely could be something in carb cycling for most and I am looking forward to getting this month out of the way and seeing any results. A week or two is too soon.

It's just occurred to me that this carb cycling stuff isn't about the extra carbs I reckon it's about being happy. Just not too happy where your eating naughty stuff runs in to days and then weeks. The majority of us are stressed and the brain knows it's because we can't have what we want so we are in a state of sadness and worry about weight gain. I think those days we cheat we end up with huge smiles on our faces which cheers us up even for a short while which releases serotonin making the brain think we are in a good place so it lets us lose a little weight afterwards.
Now if we can only be super happy and not eat the naughty stuff I think we have cracked it ;)

i feel like the trouble maker at school today telling everyone it's ok to cheat now and again when really it's not for everyone so take what I say with a pinch of salt just thought I'd share some of my silly theories :)

It's just occurred to me that this carb cycling stuff isn't about the extra carbs I reckon it's about being happy. Just not too happy where your eating naughty stuff runs in to days and then weeks. The majority of us are stressed and the brain knows it's because we can't have what we want so we are in a state of sadness and worry about weight gain. I think those days we cheat we end up with huge smiles on our faces which cheers us up even for a short while which releases serotonin making the brain think we are in a good place so it lets us lose a little weight afterwards.
Now if we can only be super happy and not eat the naughty stuff I think we have cracked it ;)

i feel like the trouble maker at school today telling everyone it's ok to cheat now and again when really it's not for everyone so take what I say with a pinch of salt just thought I'd share some of my silly theories :)

I'm always cheating so its good to hear someone else's point if view. I can do so long on a certain way of eating before I get fed up and convince myself to do something else which seems more manageable at the time but the end result is usually the same. Epic failure.

I'm being good today, firstly because Ive over endulged In Carbs fats and sugars and because I'm in agony with stomach cramps and Feeking sick so couldn't eat anyway. I think its a result of my over eating for last three days. I hsvent eaten bread or pasta for months and this weekend saw every food group in abundance.

I agree that's why I like carb cycling !!! But I have been more healthy eatin but watching my carbs and Cals

Good luck with your experiments and transition to maintenance! Though it's a way off for me, I do wonder sometimes how I'll manage to keep the weight off if - no, when - I lose it. I will be paying close attention to your diary and will most likely have lots of questions for you as time goes on! :D

Subscribing :) am v interested in your carb cycling because I run and that has meant I've struggled on a low carb dietm

So would you say your carb cycling is a bit like intermittent fasting but with low carb instead of low cals? How many low carb days do you do a week?

Maybe you should write a diet book...;)

I agree that's why I like carb cycling !!! But I have been more healthy eatin but watching my carbs and Cals
Morning Vicky, I thought about just keeping my up days to very good carbs and cals but what made me think was reading about the metabolism and leptin levels. Basically it does do the body good to have an all out cheat day where you eat what you want because it sends signals to the brain to tell it everything's fine and all levels reset like they would before you'd ever dieted apparently. Thus leading to more weight loss when you go strict again. I'm excited to see how it goes :)

Good luck with your experiments and transition to maintenance! Though it's a way off for me, I do wonder sometimes how I'll manage to keep the weight off if - no, when - I lose it. I will be paying close attention to your diary and will most likely have lots of questions for you as time goes on! :D

Thanks Canadian,

i do believe you can keep weight off by juggling your days instead of keeping them the same after what I've read so I'm looking forward to getting to goal now more than ever because it was a worry for me too. I'd have hated to get this far for it to creep back :( I know that before I started cycling I'd eat breads and fruits and gain and get so upset thinking "ahhhh what what how do I maintain?" But I've noticed theses past few weeks I've been cheating gently and slowly and getting away with it so I think there's definitely something in this.

Subscribing :) am v interested in your carb cycling because I run and that has meant I've struggled on a low carb dietm

So would you say your carb cycling is a bit like intermittent fasting but with low carb instead of low cals? How many low carb days do you do a week?

Maybe you should write a diet book...;)

Haha there are already people out there with books on this I think.

from what I've read you are best to do a good run on your first carb down day after a cheat day. Apparently that is when your glycogen stores are filled and pumped so you will get a max workout but the good thing about doing the workout on your first day of carb down means you will empty those stores quick and without worrying the body about the fact you are trying to starve or lose weight. It seems the minute the brain cottons on to what you are doing it will shut down your progress and make you stay put to protect its self.

i wouldn't compare it to IF because you are meant to eat eat eat eat, keep your eating up on all days. As soon as you can in the morning and snack as much as you need in between meals. You don't want your body knowing you are on a diet at all and you need to keep leptin levels up which help metabolism. You probably could do this with fasting but I've not read the science behind that route. All I know is I'd fasted every morning believing it would help so I'd not eat from 9pm the night before and until 1-2pm the next day...no biggie and not set rule but my weights been stalled for ages so that clearly hasn't worked. As soon as I've started to eat little and often I'm losing no matter which day I'm on.

Morning everyone, second day of my carb down and I'm down to 10.0.6 which I've not seen in a long while. I'd managed to starve my way down to 10.0.8 a few weeks ago but it lasted for a day so I'm over the moon that I've only done two down days and I'm there on the scales :)

menu yesterday- B 7x macadamia nuts, L tin mackerel in olive oil, Atkins caramel advantage bar, S 7 hazelnuts, D 2 frankfurter sausages microwaved, lettuce, tsp mayo, touch of Dijon mustard. S slice jack cheese. Lots of coffee as usual and I'm very good with my water oh and I also had a black earl grey tea.

Today is my first day of 2 moderate carb ups containing low GI foods ( a load of low GI fruits and possible some dark choc) then 2 days of high GI and those days would be my bran flakes, wheatgerm bread, wholegrain rice and bananas.

then a whopping cheat day where I will not even think about it and have what I like however I'm very happy to report that I'm not going to go bonkers on chocolate/pizzas and doughnuts all day like allowed. My cheat day will probably just be a combination of my moderate and high days with maybe one meal from that day which has been hugely off limits since my weight loss.
Could be an Indian (I love chicken tikka masala with Keema naan.
could be a can of Starbucks espresso with sugar and cream
or 4 digestives or shortbread with my evening coffee.

whatever I chose I like to keep the more treaty things until night time because I have noticed if I eat anything too nice too early it will play on my mind all day so if I eat nearer bed it doesn't affect me at all and I wake easily going back to low carb and behaving myself.

I must say that it has been lovely knowing I've only had 2 days strict low carb and then I can add good fruits thereafter. I think that thought alone has been so relieving this week.

I do have one concern that now that I'm on my up days followed by cheat my water weight will zoom back on and maybe I won't remove it in time for the next up days. I am going to try this system for a few weeks then if I just keep bouncing the same pounds around I will make my low days longer but not long enough for it to crash my metabolism again as that will be self defeating when I'm only 10-15 lbs from goal for good.

i will keep you all updated, sorry if I bore anyone with my thoughts but I've no where else to write all this for me to look back at as I do find looking back invaluable for inspiration and weight loss if stuck.

Nono far from boring so write away :) x

Ref the water weight concerns does the water weight on your scales show in your body or how your clothes fit?
Well done on low weight that's brilliant and its where I want to be by September!

Not boring at all, I do the same with cheat meals, leave it until once in the evening then start back up again in the morning x

Yes, thank you for all the detail! Fascinating. Re fasting / eating little & often...It so much depends on the individual, doesn't it?

So to get this straight in my head...
You are doing 2 v low carb days, 2 mod carb / low gi days, then a cheat day (or eve), then start again?

Will be fascinating to see how you do..

Thanks Canadian,

i do believe you can keep weight off by juggling your days instead of keeping them the same after what I've read so I'm looking forward to getting to goal now more than ever because it was a worry for me too. I'd have hated to get this far for it to creep back :( I know that before I started cycling I'd eat breads and fruits and gain and get so upset thinking "ahhhh what what how do I maintain?" But I've noticed theses past few weeks I've been cheating gently and slowly and getting away with it so I think there's definitely something in this.

I'll bet you're right. I'm completely new to even just thinking about carbs but I would think it's more or less the same idea as calorie shifting. Best of luck to you!

i will keep you all updated, sorry if I bore anyone with my thoughts but I've no where else to write all this for me to look back at as I do find looking back invaluable for inspiration and weight loss if stuck.

You're not boring me at all! I'm happy you're sharing all the details with us - I appreciate all the info! :)

Ref the water weight concerns does the water weight on your scales show in your body or how your clothes fit?
Well done on low weight that's brilliant and its where I want to be by September!

well ill this is where it gets freaky, even after my cheat days if the weight goes up 1-/2lbs I don't feel it inside and my clothes are feeling loose????? So weird.
I won't however let the weight go over a 2lb gain so even if I have cheat days left I will go back to down days.

Yes, thank you for all the detail! Fascinating. Re fasting / eating little & often...It so much depends on the individual, doesn't it?

So to get this straight in my head...
You are doing 2 v low carb days, 2 mod carb / low gi days, then a cheat day (or eve), then start again?

Will be fascinating to see how you do..

it certainly does depend on the individual like you said.

im doing 2 very low carb, 2 moderate but low GI days, 2 high carb high GI and 1 cheat day but my cheat day is going to just be a combination of my moderate days and high days food wise. I'm not really one to want to plan a day for pizzas and horrible stuff. The stuff I've missed the most would be my wheatgerm bread and bananas or all bran cereal so they will basically be my cheats however many I helpings on that day :)

I'll bet you're right. I'm completely new to even just thinking about carbs but I would think it's more or less the same idea as calorie shifting. Best of luck to you!

You're not boring me at all! I'm happy you're sharing all the details with us - I appreciate all the info! :)

Absolutely just like calorie shifting in fact I'm probably doing that too without realising because I'm aware I can't eat for ever so I'm taking care of cals without too much thought...I think although I never count and love cream on all days throughout the day :)

Back