1 cinnamon stick /1 bay leaf / 2 cloves / 3 cardamoms /4 pepper corns
1 onion – finely chopped
1 tsp ginger pulp - 1tsp garlic pulp - no syns if no oil inthem
chilli to taste - ½ tsp turmeric - 1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander
80gms peas
80gms cauliflower
1 courgette – small cubes
2 tbsp plain yoghurt or soya milk - don't know why, it's in the recipe!!!
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp lemon juice

METHOD
Rinse the rice until the water runs clear – leave it to soak whilst preparing rest of ingredients. Heat the oil and add the cinnamon, bayleaves, cloves, cardamoms and peppercorns and cook for about 1 minute. Add the onions and fry for about 2 mins.
Add the ginger and garlic, chilli, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder. Mix then add the vegetables and stir-fry for a couple ofminutes. Stir in the yoghurt (or milk)
Drain the rice and add it with the beans and gently stir around to mix well without breaking up the rice. Add salt to taste and 1 tbsp of the fresh coriander and lemon juice along with 3 cups of water.
Bring to the boil then turn the heat down to low and cover the pan and cook until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked 10-12minutes. (approx)
Leave to rest for about 5 minutes then garnish with the rest of the coriander and serve.

Peas and Cauliflower – I put more veg in than this and also put broccoli and butternut squah – put any veg in that you like.

Last edited:
MASALA SAUCE - 2 SYNS FOR OIL - MAKES 2 PORTIONS
1TSP OIL
½ TSP CUMIN SEEDS AND SAME OF URAD DAL (not a problem if you don’t have it)
½ CUP CHOPPPED ONIONS – ½ CUP CHOPPED FRESH TOMATOES
2 CLOVES GARLIC – CHOPPED
½ TSP TURMERIC - CHILLI TO TASTE
½ TSP CUMIN POWDER - ½ TSP BLACK PEPPER
TSP TAMARIND PASTE
CAN OF CHOPPED TOMATOES - BLENDED
HANDFUL OF CHOPPED CORIANDER

METHOD
HEAT THE OIL AND ADD THE CUMIN SEEDS AND URAD DAL AND COOK UNTIL GOLDEN – ABOUT 30 SECS. ADD ONION AND COOK FOR A MINUTE THEN ADD TOMATO, TURMERIC, GARLIC AND CHOPPED CORIANDER AND STIR AND COOK FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES.
ADD THE RESTOF THE SPICES, TAMARIND PASTE, SALT AND BLENDED TOMATOES – STIR AND COOK UNTIL ONIONS ARE SOFT AND SAUCE IS THICK.
ADD A LITTLE SWEETNER IF IT IS TOO TART. ---- USE TAMARIND SAUCE AND NOT TAMARIND CONCERNTRATE

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I PREFER TO COOK THE ONIONS IN MICROWAVE WITH WATER AND STOCK CUBE BEFORE ADDING TO PAN.
MAKES A NICE EGG CURRY – JUST ADD HARD BOILED EGGS TO FINISHED SAUCE.
USE WITH BEANS OR COOKED VEG. I MAKE LOADS ANDFREEEZE IT IN 1 PORTION SIZES. (Muller pots good for this)

Last edited:
Ooh your beany vegetabley rice sounds good. I've only ever had the Quorn meatballs, nice to hear that the Asda ones were also worth having. Are there any syns in them?

Ooh your beany vegetabley rice sounds good. I've only ever had the Quorn meatballs, nice to hear that the Asda ones were also worth having. Are there any syns in them?

There were 22 meatballs in the 400gm bag which would do 3 meals - I took 10 out and there were too many - OH ate 3 of them.
3 Syns in the whole bag and at the moment they are on offer at 2 bags for £3 instead of 4. In an orangey coloured bag in freezer section.

When we are at home I make that rice a lot and freeze it in 1 portion bags then micro it and you can make it as spicey as you want.

Why not weigh out the flour etc and syn it then make sure each pancake has the same amount of mix.

Those chickpea ones are just flour, a little mustard and water.

Hmmm getting used to weighing and/or making my portions separate. ;) will you post your recipe for these ones please and fankoo x

SUNDAY 1ST JULY

BREAKFAST
Porridge - fruit - youghurt - -- HEX B

LUNCH
Thai Cauliflower soup - Cheese Scone SYNS .5
Jelly - fruit - yoghurt - SYNS 1

DINNER
Hummus - Salad - 1/2 fat Feta Cheese - mango and pomegranite - pickle - 3 Chilli Ryvita - HEX A - HEX B

Apple

TOTAL - HEX A - 2 HEX B - SYNS - Highlights 4 - pickle 1 - jelly 1 - scone .5 - Total 6.5

THAICAULIFLOWERSOUP.jpg

Forgot to photo the scone!!!

SUNDAYSALAD-MANGO-POMEGRANITE-CHEESE-HUMMUS-1.jpg

Hmmm getting used to weighing and/or making my portions separate. ;) will you post your recipe for these ones please and fankoo x

OH says to weigh out the Besan and mix with cold water until it is batter consistency (thin batter) add a tsp English mustard and salt then you can work out the syns from the cals in the flour.

Looks like another pancake day here tomorrow as we have the beans soaking and going to make the oat pancakes from Andrea8's diary but no good for you.

Yes checked that out yesterday which is why I let the others eat all of them :D

Made Spinach Roulade and very pleased with it - not a SW recipe but there was nothing in the recipe that was not SW friendly - infact free but added HEX A cheese to it.

SPINACHROULADE.jpg

SPINACHROULADECUT.jpg

Will add extras to the filling next time.

Wow your food looks fab :)
Just thought I'd pop by to see if you could shed any light on why they've banned Nik. I can't find her diary which I'm completely gutted about and she posted on our team thread to say that it was likely she was going to be banned. I hadn't checked in with her for a few days so completely in the dark.

Even if she has offended someone I'm pretty damned sure she helped a hell of a lot more. I'm furious on her behalf and mine!

Andrea x

Spinach Roulade

Line a Swiss Roll tin with baking parchment.

450 gms Chopped frozen Spinach (used Morrisons and put it in the micros for about 6 mins then squashed the water out through a sieve)
4 eggs - separated
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cloves chopped garlic
salt and pepper
tub fat free cottage cheese - with chives is nicer

I added HEX A of grated strong cheese to Spinach mix and another finely grated to the Cottage cheese mix. (used Parmesan for this one)
-------
METHOD
Put the egg yolks in a bowl and beat then add the spinach and garlic, salt and pepper.
Whisk the egg whites until stiff then fold into the mix and add the grated cheese.
Spread the mix onto the paper and smooth the top.

OVEN 220c/Gas 7 - for about 12 minutes or until the top is firm.

Remove from the oven and cool a little then remove the baking parchment turning it top side down.

Add the next HEX of cheese to the cottage cheese then spread over the Spinach base keeping it about 1/2 away from the edges so that is does not spill out.
Make a cut - (but not all the way through the spinach base) about 1/2 inch from the rolling up edge then roll up. It helps if you put a clean piece of parchment or a clean tea towel under the base then roll it up using this to pull it over.

I had it warm for tea with potatoes (supposed to be covered in butter) and salad and cold for lunch with ratatouille and pak choy and must say it was much nicer cold.
Put it in a Lock and Lock box overnight and it had not gone soggy - nice for picnic.
Will add more to the cheese next time, maybe some stir-fried peppers and mushrooms.

MONDAY 2ND JULY

BREAKFAST
Porridge - fruit - yoghurt --- HEX B

LUNCH
Kidney Bean and Veg Pulao with Cheesey Garlic Mushrooms - HEX A
Jelly, fruit and yoghurt - 1 SYN

DINNEER
Spinach Roulade with New Potatoes and Salad

Apple

TOTAL - 2 HEX A - 1 HEX B - SYNS - Highlights 4 - Jelly 1 - Pickle 1 - Total 6

REDKIDNEYBEANRICEANDGARLICANDCHEESEMUSHROOMS.jpg

This tasted a lot nicer than it looks!!!

SPINACHROULADENEWPOTATOESANDSALAD.jpg

Yes this is the Veg Paulao
VEGETABLE AND KIDNEY BEAN PULAO
6 SYNS for oil but makes 6 portions – 1 each (or HEX B it)

2 cups of Basmati rice
150gms cooked kidney beans - or out of a can - drained
1 tbsp oil
1 onion – finely chopped
1 tsp coriander
80gms peas
80gms cauliflower
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp lemon juice

METHOD
Rinse the rice until the water runs clear – leave it to soak whilst preparing rest of ingredients. Heat the oil and add the cinnamon, bayleaves, cloves, cardamoms and peppercorns and cook for about 1 minute. Add the onions and fry for about 2 mins.
Add the ginger and garlic, chilli, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder. Mix then add the vegetables and stir-fry for a couple ofminutes. Stir in the yoghurt (or milk)
Drain the rice and add it with the beans and gently stir around to mix well without breaking up the rice. Add salt to taste and 1 tbsp of the fresh coriander and lemon juice along with 3 cups of water.
Bring to the boil then turn the heat down to low and cover the pan and cook until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked 10-12minutes. (approx)
Leave to rest for about 5 minutes then garnish with the rest of the coriander and serve.

Peas and Cauliflower – I put more veg in than this and also put broccoli and butternut squash – put any veg in that you like.
It makes 6 portions and freezes brilliantly.

The mushrooms I cooked in a stock cube and a little water with some garlic - when they were cooked I just added some Philly cheese and pepper.

Yes this is the Veg Paulao
VEGETABLE AND KIDNEY BEAN PULAO
6 SYNS for oil but makes 6 portions – 1 each (or HEX B it)

2 cups of Basmati rice
150gms cooked kidney beans - or out of a can - drained
1 tbsp oil
1 onion – finely chopped
1 tsp coriander
80gms peas
80gms cauliflower
2 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp lemon juice

METHOD

Peas and Cauliflower – I put more veg in than this and also put broccoli and butternut squash – put any veg in that you like.
It makes 6 portions and freezes brilliantly.

The mushrooms I cooked in a stock cube and a little water with some garlic - when they were cooked I just added some Philly cheese and pepper.

Ooh yum, thanks very much for that! x :)

TUESDAY 2ND JULY

BREAKFAST
Porridge - fruit - yoghurt - HEX B

LUNCH
Left over Spinach Roulade with Ratatouille and Pak Choy - HEX A
Jelly - fruit and yoghurt - 1 SYN

DINNER
Asparagus Carbonara with Mushrooms.

Peach

TOTAL - HEX A - HEX B - SYNS - Highlights 4 - Jelly 1 - Total 5

SPINACHROULADEWITHRATATOUILLEANDPAKCHOY.jpg

The Roulade was nicer cold today than warm yesterday.

DINNER - NO PHOTOGRAPH - It was truly awful, tasteless although I added garlic and then Parmesan and lots of pepper - Asparagus Carbonara from SW new 50 Green Recipes Book. Sauce made with egg and fromage frais curdled although the heat was hardly under the pan. Ate a little of it then picked out the Asparagus and mushrooms and put a jacket potato in the micro and ate that with them.

Last edited:
systema said:
Made Spinach Roulade and very pleased with it - not a SW recipe but there was nothing in the recipe that was not SW friendly - infact free but added HEX A cheese to it.

Will add extras to the filling next time.

This looks so pretty and yummy! :D

It is the first time I have made it and was pleased with it - was very suprised it had not gone soggy overnight so will definitely add it to my packed lunch and picnic list. Needs a bit of tweeking yet because I do like spicey food so may be some chilli and spices in there somewhere next time. :)

Back