GREEN DAYS ONLY - systemas diary

Found a recipe for Veggie Lasagne in 101 Veggie Dishes by BBC Books. You can buy it from Amazon - 2nd hand ones are 1p plus £2.80 p&p. Sent for mine when I saw this recipe was in it plus lots of other nice ones and it came in 2 days.

CHILL BEAN OPEN LASANGE - SERVES 4
1 tbsp olive oil - 6 syns but 1 and half each person.
1 onion - chopped
2 garlic cloves - crushed
chilli to taste
1 large courgette and 1 small aubergine - diced
410gm can of beans - drained

400gm can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
250gm pack of lasagne sheets
handful of basil - torn - reserve a few leaves for garnish
120 gms chees - grated - 1 HEX A each

METHOD
Heat the oil and fry the onion for 3 mins then add the garlic, chilli, aubergine and courgette and fry for a further 2 mins.. Stir in the beans, tomato puree and tomatoes and season. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins then add the basil.
Cook the lasagne sheets in boiling, salted water according to pack instructions. Drain then halve each sheet diagonally.
Place a spoonful of the mix on each plate and top with a quarter of he lasagne triangles. Top with the remaining bean mix, grated cheese and a basil leaf.
Serve with a green salad.

------------------------------------------
I used left over veg curry in mine and added the yoghurt.

I'm going to cook this tomorrow night but could I make a big one and layer it as I would have done an ordinary lasagne using fromage frais or quark instead of cheese sauce as I'd like to cook it for the whole family

Yes
Do you ever use cheese sauce because Morrisons do a packet mix which you just mix with water and it is 9 syns for the packet.

Yes
Do you ever use cheese sauce because Morrisons do a packet mix which you just mix with water and it is 9 syns for the packet.

I've never used cheese sauce before i usually make my own rue and add cheese (which wouldnt be very sw friendly), I dont have a Morrisons near me, are there any similar ones from Tesco or Sainsbury that I could get,

I don't know - I do my MIL's "big shop" in Morrisons and go to Tesco to look for evening bargains - will have a look next time I am in there.
Until I started SW I never used cheese sauce - I have never eaten so much cheese in my life as I do now.:) I only ever ate cottage cheese and sometimes some Goat cheese and grated Parmesan on pasta. .

WEDNESDAY 18TH JULY

BREAKFAST
Porridge - fruit - yoghurt - HEX B

LUNCH
Cauliflower and Potato Soup with a little Spinach - Home-made Roll and Cheese - HEX B - HEX A
Jelly - fruit - yoghurt. --- 1 SYN

DINNER
Ratatouille - Asda Meatballs - Rice
Salad and Pickle --- 2 SYNS

Half a small melon

TOTAL
1 HEX A - 2 HEX B --- SYNS - Highlights 4 - Pickle and Jacket Potato 2 - Jelly 1 --Total 7

CAULIFLOWERANDPOTATOSOUPWITHSPINACH.jpg

RATATOUILLEWITHMEATBALLSSALADANDRICE.jpg

THURSDAY 19TH JULY

BREAKFAST
Porridge - Fruit - Yoghurt - HEX B

LUNCH
Dhal and Rice

DINNER
Then things went downhill - had a phone call from old friends who had got married in the morning and then invited everyone to the reception in the afternoon so with no syns saved had wine and more wine but did resist the food. Went home and had an egg sandwich then went back out!!!!

so - HEX B for bread and numerous wine syns

TOTAL
2 HEX B - SYNS +

DHALANDRICE.jpg

I don't know - I do my MIL's "big shop" in Morrisons and go to Tesco to look for evening bargains - will have a look next time I am in there.
Until I started SW I never used cheese sauce - I have never eaten so much cheese in my life as I do now.:) I only ever ate cottage cheese and sometimes some Goat cheese and grated Parmesan on pasta. .

I love cheese, all types but I'm sticking to LF versions now which still taste really good but go further, the only downside is that they don't melt as well as the ff variety

THURSDAY 19TH JULY

BREAKFAST
Porridge - Fruit - Yoghurt - HEX B

LUNCH
Dhal and Rice

DINNER
Then things went downhill - had a phone call from old friends who had got married in the morning and then invited everyone to the reception in the afternoon so with no syns saved had wine and more wine but did resist the food. Went home and had an egg sandwich then went back out!!!!

so - HEX B for bread and numerous wine syns

TOTAL
2 HEX B - SYNS +

DHALANDRICE.jpg

I use lentils but haven't cooked a dahl, would love your recipe.....When I overdo it on the wine, I remind myself that it might contain empty calories but at least there's no fat content ;)

I'm cooking a dhal later hopefully! Got me a new bag of lentils and ready to go :D

I'm cooking a dhal later hopefully! Got me a new bag of lentils and ready to go :D

I've only ever used tinned lentils 'cause I know I'd keep forgetting to soak them, do you get the same result with tinned?

Quite happily tell you how I make it but I always use a pressure cooker - not the "scary" one but an electric one.

PC.jpg

I put 150gms of mixed lentils in the cooker with a chopped onion - tsp each of chopped garlic - ginger - cumin - coriander -garam masala - chilli to taste - salt - 1/2 tsp turmeric and a large pinch of asafoetida. Cover with water and cook for 10 mins. Add chopped fresh coriander.
I also like to add spinach to it - if it is frozen I put it in at the same time as the lentils - fresh I just add with the coriander and stir it in.

I use a mix of any lentils I have - masoor - moong - toor - chana or urad and as you can see from the time it only takes 10 mins. This is why I always use the pressure cooker and do all kinds of beans in it.

This is a good article about dhal
How to cook perfect dal | Life and style | The Guardian

Last edited:
I've only ever used tinned lentils 'cause I know I'd keep forgetting to soak them, do you get the same result with tinned?

If you use Masoor - the little pink ones - you don't have to soak them just wash and use them - infact there is only a couple you have to soak. I have been buying green ones which are quite large and didn't soak those and cooked them in a pan at my MIL's house.

Just been watching "The Cube" and even Fatima Whitbread has bingo wings so how much hope is there for us mere mortals? :D:D:D

systema said:
Just been watching "The Cube" and even Fatima Whitbread has bingo wings so how much hope is there for us mere mortals? :D:D:D

Lol

ASDA Chicken Style pieces Pie - 2 portions
Into a microwave pan put a chopped onion - a stock cube - tsp garlic - tbsp Engevita (nutritional yeast but not necessary) and cover with water and cook for about 5 mins. This cooks the onion and makes it "syrupy"- keep an eye on the water.
Stir-fry a thinly sliced stick of celery - half a red pepper and some sliced mushrooms.
Add 200gms of the chicken pieces along with the onion mix, salt and pepper and a little more water and cook for a couple of mins.
Mix 2 tsp cornflour with some water and add to the mix and stir and cook out the cornflour - make sure the gravy has thickened - if not turn up the heat a little until it is.

Put into an oven-proof dish and top with mashed potato and cook in oven - about gas 6 - until the top is brown. Everything is cooked so only wants colouring.

These pieces are 1syn for 100gms - 1 syn for 1 tsp cornflour - 1/2 syn for Engevita.

If I have not used HEX A's I put cheese in with potatoes and then grate Parmesan on top.

micropan.jpg

These Micro Pans are from Lakeland - £4.99 - have had cheaper ones but they have cracked.

im making this tomorrow but im going to use the porcini mushroom juice for stock. what are you syning the NY at? 0.5 per tbsp? I thought it was 2 per tbsp although ppl say different and now im confused lol

The Yeast is 1 Syn for 1 Tablespoon - I put 1tbsp in for 2 of us that is why I put .5 for it. I really like the pie and so easy to make - hope you enjoy it.
My OH weighed and measured it and said it works out at 1tbps for 1 syn.

Thanks for this and I will get the masoor ones, I don't have a pressure cooker so it'll just take a while longer to cook I'm going to replenish my spices today, what is asafoetida?

The Yeast is 1 Syn for 1 Tablespoon - I put 1tbsp in for 2 of us that is why I put .5 for it. I really like the pie and so easy to make - hope you enjoy it.
My OH weighed and measured it and said it works out at 1tbps for 1 syn.

thats great ..Mmmm I thought it was but I was told double ..all good then. heart still set on making the daddy mac lol. Does the fabulous baker AKA your other half have a super easy recipe for bread rolls? never made bread ever but im determed to have a go. I have a little tub of active yeast and some wholemeal flour in :)

Thanks for this and I will get the masoor ones, I don't have a pressure cooker so it'll just take a while longer to cook I'm going to replenish my spices today, what is asafoetida?

The pink ones are the easiest to cook - asafoetida (also called hing) is what you put in lentils to minimise the wind factor :) it does smell a bit when you take the lid off but it does not taste like that.

Asafoetida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back