Half-the-person-I-used-to-be team?

My body is weird! :confused: I lost 1.5lbs! :D should go to more weddings!!

LOL - don't complain, it might hear you, and go the other way again ;)

That's a nice way to start with a new group though! Well done :D

Welcome aboard Cobweb!:) - may I enquire as to what you're studying?

Hello gang! - well as you'll have noticed I have been away from a few days. A dear friend passed away from cancer (it was expected) ironically at 11.11 on Remembrance Sunday! Can never forget him now, not that I would of course.

That was about the time I began my Ramblers journey and first walk. Good grief how hard that was!!!

My preparation had consisted of 1.5 mile "fast walks" every day and a couple of weekenders of varying distance between 6.5-9 miles. I thought I'd got it sussed;)

Talk about down to earth with a bump! - I never considered, any of the following. Being turned back (from where we came) and not allowed through private land - fair enough, but in a car it takes a minute to re-route that mile.... then because of the weather, the bridle path, through the river while suitable for horses, not suitable for Steve - even the new improved Steve. Once again the group had to turn back and you know what? - a mile in the car takes....... well, you get the picture.

The recent cold weather and especially the rain made walking in mud akin to walking on sand. Very heavy going and strength-sapping. Then someone forgot to remind me that walking for pleasure for a few miles around my home has few slopes and all very gentle. Hmmm Northumberland's hills are not so charitable. Finally, I'd never considered having to carry a rucksack with spare kit, waterproofs, lunch etc. - D'oh! only myself to blame.

5 hours later, including the last hour in the rain (quite refreshing) the 9.72 miles ( I have an app to tell me such detail) I arrived, tired, but quite exhilirated. It was overnight when problems occurred. Monday morning I felt "stiff-as-a-board" my right calf was killing and left thigh/groin was agony. I could not lift my left leg (imagine putting on trousers or getting into car for comedy effect lol). I simply "forced" myself on a 1m+ walk Monday lunchtime to avoid seizing up altogether. Fortunately, I am already recovering and todays 1.5 mile were completed with a little tiredness, but no pain.

So back on track, despite the bereavement have stuck to plan. We'll see what weigh-in tomorrow brings. My legs feel very heavy, but hopefully after last week's gain I'm not going to get all muscular and heavy;)

Sorry for the ramble (pun intended) but that is possibly a cautionary tale to anyone attempting too much too soon. Just about got away with it and no lasting injury. I could not have forseen the wet/muddy conditions though to be fair:p

Steve

Oh and the next one is Hexham - Carts Bog Inn (seriously!) again in Northumberland 28/11/10 - not sure of the mileage yet lol.

Sorry to hear about your loss Steve, even when it is expected, its hard to lose someone that you are close to.

Well done for making it to the end of your ramble, especially in those conditions! I had been wondering how you'd got on! Well done for getting back out there the next day to keep yourself moving as well - not always the easiest thing to make yourself do!

Good luck at the WI, I am sure your efforts this weekend will help!

Thanks Pogle :)

I'm beaming like a Cheshire cat! - I am once again deserving to steer this fine ship of people after a superb 7.5lb loss! - every ache, torn muscle, sprain and strain contributed to this. Dedicating it to my late, great mate Jim Morris and for Dave Ratcliffe who has his battle to come. Hope you guys don't mind but that effort was as much for them as well as myself.

So glad the week ended in triumph. Good luck to you all with your respective goals and WI's.

Steve :)

:party0049::wow: Well done Steve, that is an absolutely brilliant loss! I'm not surprised that you are beaming!

Thanks Pogle - I also see we have similar amounts to go for our respective targets.

Hope we can coax, encourage, bully, cajole, - whatever it takes to get there;) - within reason of course. Feel full of adrenaline and a lie-in tomorrow as no alarm until 8.00am.

Had my celebratory fillet steak and chips just now (SW style of course) - never tasted nicer haha.

Steve

Well done Steve, that is a great result, sorry to hear about your friend, try and take the next ramble steady:) not the same but Jake (my son) decided it would be a good idea to cycle to school, which was fine we'd been doing it a couple of times a week anyway, but that week we did every day nearly finished me off worked out to be 30 miles for me!

Nay

Just thought that I would drop by to let you know that I won't be around for a few days as we're going away for the weekend tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed that I can stick to plan as much as possible whilst I am away - don't want another gain this week!

Hope everyone is doing well, and has a great weekend :wavey:

Hello everyone.

I am at present half the person I used to be. I have lost ten stones and kept them off for around ten years now.

However!

I just cannot seem to lose that final stone. Maintenance is hard as we all know and my weight does go up and down a little. I do all I can to control that, to make sure it doesn't creep up again.

But this last stone just seems to beat me.

Good luck to all x

Well done Steve, that is a great result, sorry to hear about your friend, try and take the next ramble steady:) not the same but Jake (my son) decided it would be a good idea to cycle to school, which was fine we'd been doing it a couple of times a week anyway, but that week we did every day nearly finished me off worked out to be 30 miles for me!

Nay

Nay, I have the theory that I need to push myself. The weather and a few unexpected hitches made Sunday "interesting". I'm sure my strength and stamina will build though. Out for a 4 hour gentle stroll this Saturday:)

Just thought that I would drop by to let you know that I won't be around for a few days as we're going away for the weekend tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed that I can stick to plan as much as possible whilst I am away - don't want another gain this week!

Hope everyone is doing well, and has a great weekend :wavey:

Have a great weekend and enjoy yourself - live a little. As part of the team, I'll slip an extra couple of miles in on your behalf :p

Hello everyone.

I am at present half the person I used to be. I have lost ten stones and kept them off for around ten years now.

However!

I just cannot seem to lose that final stone. Maintenance is hard as we all know and my weight does go up and down a little. I do all I can to control that, to make sure it doesn't creep up again.

Good luck to all x

You've done superb - inspirational really. I wouldn't even pretend I know what to do, but perhaps Body Magic?

Walking works miracles for me (along with the plans of course). I will probably take up running or better take up playing footy with the lads at work. I'm also looking at gym a couple of times a week from next year.

Then it will be swimming - everyone assures me this is the best single excercise for weight loss and fitness.

This will also serve the purpose of getting me away from the internet/tv and on the road to fitness.

Apologies if you already practice these GirlyGirl1 - just throwing ideas into the ring;)

PS have a great weekend everyone!

Steve

Hello everyone.

However!

Good luck to all x

Wow you've done really well, I am also struggling with my last stone been the samish weight now for 2 years!

Think Steve might be right with the body magic bit :)

Nay

oh almost forgot i've lost a pound this week :)

Good evening fellow halfers! (well not sure what else to call ourselves lol).

The weekend is drawing to a close. I have a very sedate, possibly too sedate five mile walk on Saturday - nowhere near as vigourous as last weeks ramble, but it was to help a friend out on his nature/birdwatching walk. It took best part of 4 hours - so a very gentle pace and no pains or sprains on Sunday morning.

Indeed, went shopping for skinny clothes! had to buy 3 pairs of trousers for work as well as a new pair of jeans and some more camouflage troos for leisure/walking etc. Am tempted to burn the "fatpants" but might have to hang onto them in case of emergency or falling-off-wagon. Anyway, it might be more fun to do one of them look-at-me-now shots when you fit twice in the old clothes lol.

Have kept to plan and been within syn range all week - 100% as they say, and still taking turns with the three plans. Will need to cook a new batch of yorkshire puddings and a stock of chilli, veg soup and shepherds pie as the freezer has now got a bit room - can't beat something red hot on these cold nights.

Anyone with any ideas for me any recipes for nice hot winter foods feel free to post - I'll have a go at cooking anything.

Tally ho and lets see what this week brings!

Have a great weekend and enjoy yourself - live a little. As part of the team, I'll slip an extra couple of miles in on your behalf :p

Thanks Steve - it must've worked - I just had my WI, and lost another 3lbs this week :happy036:
So relieved, I was worried the best I could expect would be a STS, with eating out 3 nights in a row, and not really having SW friendly food available the rest of the time either! We were at a convention - not known for having a choice of healthy foods sadly :rolleyes: Luckily the hotel had lots of fruit available for brekkie, and I found a Tesco Express nearby to top up the fruit & veg supply I'd taken with me, so I just munched on that during the day, and kept my fingers crossed that would make up for off-plan food for dinner, and the odd pint! Seems to have worked :D

Girlygirl1 - welcome :) and wow - well done on losing 10 stone, and more importantly keeping it off for 10 years! That really is impressive! I shall second (third?) Steve on the body magic idea to shift the final stone.

Hurrah for buying skinny clothes Steve, but yes, keep at least 1 pair of your old trousers for the obligatory 'look at how skinny I am now' photo ;)

I have loads of recipes that I can share with you - especially nice wintery warming ones (my favourite kind :eating:). Most of them are ones I've tweaked to fit SW, and all of them work for batch cooking things to put in the freezer - which is how I've always done all of our cooking anyway. I'll dig them out for you when I get some time later on. Do you have a slow cooker?

:happy096: on your 1lb loss Nay!

How is everyone else doing this week?

Forgot to say - Nay, wow! Those pics really show how far you've come - you look great, very well done! :happy096:

I'm glad for you Pogle - just to advise though I won't be doing the extra miles for ya every week:p but very well done on the 3lb.

Put a few recipe's on here - especially winter warmers. I like tweaked recipes. I also find a lot of recipes call for stuff that I don't usually eat or stock.

So keep it bloke-friendly if possible, with good wholesome food and vegetable etc. I've lot loads of red onions - so there's a start lol.

Not got a slow cooker but will probably get one, though I like to slow cook anyway (infuse flavours).

Steve

Hopefully your loss sets the tone for the rest of the group:)

Hey - I'd like to join if I can? Got half my current weight to lose.

Been doing SW for 4 weeks and have lost 13.5lbs :D

I have a great recipe for syn-free Onion Bhaji's if you like?

Well done - just over 3lb average loss per week - similar to myself. of course you can join and although I'mdesperate for an Indian meal, I will resist on the Bhaji (unless it is truly irresistable and very free of course) - but he, feel free to post the recipe Deb.

Oh and welcome aboard;)

Steve

Wow Nay! you look fantastic!!

Just a quickie tonight, i'll have a proper read through what i've missed on this thread tomorrow...been a busy week!

Lost 1lb this week, was hoping to get into the 12's tonight but i'm dead on 13 stone! so near but so far lol I've got my works christmas meal on friday night so i've set my target next week as sts!

Oh! walking to WI tonight my trousers nearly fell down!!! :eek: Just caught them!! made me smile though, so the weight hasn't changed much this week but the inches are going! :D

Sorry Steve, haven't had a chance to get on here or sort those recipes out since I posted yesterday, and I am too sleepy to do it now lol - I'll try to do it tomorrow morning for you.

:welcome: Scotdeb! Well done on your losses so far!

Hannah - had to chuckle about your trousers falling down as you were walking to WI :D Well done on your 1lb loss :happy096:

Hey! Thanks for the welcome :)

Here's the bhaji recipe, I promise it is free on EE.

Recipe:
3 small potatoes
Tin of chickpeas
3 small onions
Madras curry powder
Turmeric
Cumin seeds
Salt and pepper
1 egg

Preheat the oven at 220 C. Chop the potatoes into smallish cubes and boil. Fry the onions in 1-2 sprays FryLight until soft, before adding the potatoes and the chickpeas, drained, to the frying pan. Add large pinches of the spices to the pan and mix in before cooking on a low heat for a few more minutes. Mash the contents of the pan until all the potatoes and chickpeas have formed a thick paste.

Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit. When cool, whisk in the beaten egg and stir until all mixed in. Drop heaped tablespoons of the mix onto a baking tray sprayed with FryLight. Just before putting in the oven, spray the tops of the bhajis once more.

Cook in the oven until brown.

Serve with no-fat natural yoghurt mixed with 1 tsp of mint sauce (1 syn)

It's honestly really good, makes tonnes and they can be reheated the next day.

Back