Has anyone started thikning about Christmas food yet?

I'm going to have at least Christmas eve, Christmas day and boxing day off plan, but at the same time I'm going to try and not go completely mental. Will try and stay away from the pastry and bread on the buffets but will treat myself to a bit of cake ect. Christmas dinner my mum is cooking and I can't really not eat bits so I'm just going to enjoy it. We'll probably have croissants for breakfast Christmas day but the other days I'll be on plan where I can, but while we're out at other people's I'll have what I fancy but try not to be too naughty.

Last year I put on 7lbs, but I ate everything in sight!!! I'm going to assume I'll put the same on again that way I'm prepared for it, but because I'm hoping to be a bit more controlled it shouldn't actually be that much. If it is its not the end of the world, its Christmas and its once a year. I lost the Christmas weight by February this year so could do it again.

Oh I'm going to stick to either low alcohol wine or spirits and diet coke for drinks as well. As I'm not a massive wine fan but I dranks loads last year as that's what was on offer (I'd planned on not drinking at all, which was a bit silly really so this year I'm just planning better drink options instead)

I;m going for martini extra dry with diet lemonade for my xmas tipple this Christmas. Less syns than wine.

Well I'm going to go nuts, off plan from the 23rd of December until the 27th.
I'll hopefully lose another stone by the end of November (mabye even more) but whatever I lose in December I don't mind if I put it on.
I don't mind being on plan during my birthday/Easter or whenever but during Christmas I'm not going to worry about syns lol :)

The thought of it taking til February to lose xmas weight is enough to scare me on to the straight and narrow I think! Eeak!

Haha - I know, I really didn't expect it to take that long to be honest. I thought on quickly off quickly but didn't work out that way.

I think for me it was worse as I had a bad week the week before Christmas but somehow managed to loose 3lbs, so I think the 7lb gain was for both weeks and then it did just take ages to come off. It's not as bad at the moment for me though as I'm at target so if I gain 7lbs, I only have to loose 4 to get back into my target range and then it doesn't matter so much how long it takes me to get back down to the actual target weight.

Although I'm still hoping this year it wont be 7lbs in total.

We're going down to see my boyfriends parents over new years as well, so no doubt that will be a nightmare food wise. Whereas last year I managed to get straight back on track as we were in looking after little one on new years eve.

I've only started thinking about Christmas from reading this thread. We used to have Christmas dinner at my grandmas but as my grandad has dementia I don't think we will have the blow out we usually do and I might end up cooking. My downfalls will be the 21st December on our Christmas works do, Christmas Day and may be NYE although I have no plans for that yet so might get away with it. I've just found baileys is 5.5 syns so a small bottle of that for me over the Xmas period will keep me happy. I'm going to go for moderately good and see what happens!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Last xmas I weighed in on boxing day and I'd lost 0.5lb lmao. O:)

It felt like a massive achievement, I was the only person in group to lose that week and I was sotw with half a lb loss hehe.

I had a sw xmas dinner and Christmas pudding with low fat custard. I made sw mince pies and cookies with the children and made sure I ate within my syns. My real treat were fat free pringles that my friend posted to me from the US.

I hope to do the same this year.

FAT FREE PRINGLES????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've started to think about it too our works meal is at a local pub and I've chosen healthier options rather than the full works, Christmas day boxing day will be a challenge as its normally croissants and bucks fizz for breaky and down hill slide from then on. My tipple is always vodka & diet coke but would like to consume less bottle LOL

I never stop thinking about Christmas - I already have my advent calendar and a bag for life full of a few bits I've picked up already. I fully intend being off plan Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day! OH and I having first Christmas on our own and have been thinking about what we want for our Xmas dinner etc. Although I'll probably put a little bit of weight on those few days, I have lost a stone already and I will still be lighter than I was when I started the plan and I have bought the Christmas book so will probably do a few bits out of there. Christmas is my favourite time of the year and a time to eat drink and be merry :smiley1842::smiley1842::smiley1842:

If it was just Christmas day it wouldn't be a problem - I am not intending to count syns on Christmas day. Maybe not buy in very much in the way of pointless chocolate. The real problem is the christmas parties before christmas and the leftovers after. Maybe I should be aiming not to cook this year (no left overs in the house) and to minimise party attendance (bah humbug) or at least practice damage limitation at any that I do go to.

I am going to be a fledgling target member by then so hopefully will be all keen on maintaining and not going loopy and putting it all on again!

ANiceBitOfDust said:
FAT FREE PRINGLES????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah. From America...laxitive effect to them though lol. I did syn them.

I have been thinking about Christmas since starting SW in July, the original goal that I had in my head on joining was to lose as much as possible before it as I could.

As for the actual festive period I've always been very lucky in that despite eating like a horse for christmas and new year I usually end up losing weight as it's the busiest time of year for me at work and I have a very active job anyway but in December it all just goes mental lol so every shift is an insane workout. This year due to a change in shift rota I have somehow bagged 5 days before christmas off and 2 days after off, so I won't have quite as much exercise or stress this year, not too sure how it will impact on my usual christmas weight loss lol

This year I will probably have a flexi syn day on Christmas day. I'm already planning to give any sweeties I receive away to my kid cousins and other friend's children. Christmas Dinner itself is and always has been one of the healthiest meals I eat all year... skinless Turkey breast, carrots and mushrooms (1/3 superfree sorted right there lol), boiled potatoes. The only synful things I have are a small dollop of gravy and stuffing, and sometimes (not always) roast spuds(goose fat).

My mum does the Christmas day cooking and it's for 12 people so I would never ask her to make it all SW friendly as it would be very selfish of me to have the food the way I want and possibly spoil my relatives enjoyment (especially when it's a meal some of them travel to Ireland from London for!) I will just take whatever syns come my way with that meal and possibly have a few baileys more than my usual syns allow that night and that will be it! Back to normal eating the next day. It really is just the one meal/day I have to contend with.

As others have said I suspect it will be the work parties and people going "oh just have one bit of cake, it's christmas!" type things that will tempt me. Also, I don't really drink much anymore and I don't tend to enjoy parties where everyone else is drunk and I'm sober so I'm thinking about avoiding the parties altogether!

Always mesmerised in the supermarket at christmas when I see the trollies filled high with enough food to keep the average family going for weeks - the shops are only shut for 2 days! the way most people shop you'd think they were never going to open again lol. Easier said than done when you've got a large family and small kids to entertain and feed I suppose, and we are guilty in my house of still having christmas food in february! but I know that when I finally get my own place and have to do the shopping for myself I'll just be getting enough for 2 days :)

I haven't got a hope for Christmas this year - we're going to Chicago on December 22nd and coming back on the 29th... it's our first married Christmas, my birthday, and it'll be freeeeezing cold so will be having lots of hot chocs to warm us up!! The hotel does a 4 course Christmas menu including a dessert buffet! Oh well! :eek:

I haven't got a hope for Christmas this year - we're going to Chicago on December 22nd and coming back on the 29th... it's our first married Christmas, my birthday, and it'll be freeeeezing cold so will be having lots of hot chocs to warm us up!! The hotel does a 4 course Christmas menu including a dessert buffet! Oh well! :eek:

Oooo sounds fab though, hope you have a great time :)

jezzi999 said:
Found out I've got the week off now, so definately can work 5 or 6 nights in the shelter again!

So glad as the "what ifs" if I couldn't do it have been playing on my mind, so I'm ecstatic it's all sorted.

Last year I lost 1lb on Xmas week it was so busy in the shelter, and tbh apart from Xmas day I just get home from the shift each day and sleep, so even though the food at the shelter isn't a 100% on plan (usually pasta bakes, soups, curries etc depending on donations) I usually burn more off than I eat - and have minimal time for the usual snacks and parties as I'm sleeping!

:) :) :) :) :)

Great news. Just wondered if there was a place to donate a little towards funds or is it just physical food donations?

jezzi999 said:
Aww that's sweet.

Here's a link https://community.crisis.org.uk/sslpage.aspx?pid=267

Crisis is a great charity, they do work all over the country (not just london) and while their Xmas shelters are what they are most famous for, they also have all year round drop-in centres in Birmingham, Manchester, oxford and several other cities, and provide training and education as a practical way out of life on the streets. They also lobby the government about things that increase the numbers of homeless people such as the changes to housing benefits.

Last Xmas week sadly we saw more guests use the shelters (3200 in London, 150 in the shelter I was at) that ever before. But over 8000 volunteers turned out to help out, so it keeps the hope in me alive that it's something we can still work towards ending.

I wrote a blog every night last year, if anyone's interested I can send them the link, it's on a personal blog so rather not post it.

Edited to add: Reposted the blog onto minimins: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/294926-jezzis-2011-crisis-blog-repost.html

Great I'll have a look

I've bought the SW Christmas made extra easy book. It's got loads of syn free or low syn food that the whole family will eat. The kids get the tins of choccies anyway. :)

I've bought the SW Christmas made extra easy book. It's got loads of syn free or low syn food that the whole family will eat. The kids get the tins of choccies anyway. :)

i will be doing a slimming world roast dinner and only byeing a little chocolate this year so that im good and put on any more weight good luck everyone;)

Back