Health Question!!

xxpiscesxx

Is determined this time..
Hi Everyone.

Just wondering if anyone can remember on the medical chart we fill in before we start if it mentions gallstones/gallbladder problems etc.
I've been told I have to have galbladder removed so just wondered,never taught to ask the doc :O
i feel much better doing this than the pain i get when i eat food, just hope i am not made stop it ;(
Thanks!XX

XXPPXX,

Actually, there are some links to doing a VLCD (and even more so high protein ones like Atkins) and gall bladder problems. However, since the people who choose these diets have been very overweight, I think the jury is out on whether the diet or the excess weight contributes to the formation of gall stones.

DisneyParis just had her gall bladder out. I think she had to come off the diet for few days before the operation, and will remain off of it during recovery. You might be able to find her postings and read up on what her experience was/is regarding this. I wish you well.

MM

;)

Ahh tanx a mill girls...i feel way better to be honest doing this but feared i might somehow be making it worse. I will definitly look her up and grill her hahaha...Thanks again..ur very helpful XXX :)

Hi hun, Sorry to say but it does ask if you have Gallstones on the Medical Record Form, So you would have to get your doctor to Sign it, before Starting Cambridge Diet.. x

x

Hi dappy ;)

See i restarted and i didn't have it then , or at least wasn't diagnosed with it :( i better say it to my cdc and see to i need to discuss it with the doc. I am actually in the hospital this week about it so i will ask them :D Thanks for the info XX

What did i just do there :O i was meant to reply to a message and it vanished ..ooops !! :)

XXPPXX,

Actually, there are some links to doing a VLCD (and even more so high protein ones like Atkins) and gall bladder problems. However, since the people who choose these diets have been very overweight, I think the jury is out on whether the diet or the excess weight contributes to the formation of gall stones.
MM

I'm sorry but I severely disagree, the jury is not out at all and Low Carb diets (such as Atkins) are not a source of gallstones, low fat diets are. The formation of stones can not be a result of weight alone, it is typically a result in VLCD because of the complete stop to the normal bile usage process and it should be a warning with Cambridge and all other meal replacement diets so that people checked themselves on this topic regularly -or added some healthy fat to the sakes!-.

What did i just do there :O i was meant to reply to a message and it vanished ..ooops !! :)

I think you pressed 'new thread' instead of reply. Easily done :)

I've merged them now :)

I forgot to say, that IMO you WILL make things worse if you do SS with gallbladder issues and that I would sincerely advise to do one of two things:

A. Add coconut oil/milk/butter to the shakes to up your fat intake and have that bile chew it out instead of turning into stones, or
B. Book the elective surgery and get the bladder removed before doing SS.

*Offtopic* - Waves to KD - great new profile pic!

*Offtopic* - Waves to KD - great new profile pic!

Ta Missama and a wave back
HiBye01.gif

As for the topic...well, I would disagree that the jury isn't out on this. I suffered gallbladder problems and subsequently had my gallbladder out. The consultant said he doubted that the VLCD had anything to do with it. I came off the diet for a month until I could get permission (from him) to go back on as I didn't have a chance to ask him at the time (was dosed up with morphine).

He was very happy for me to continue cambridge and said it was probably the best thing to do as he reckoned I needed to keep low fat whilst waiting for the op.

So...who knows, because I know you wouldn't spout a load of rubbish Missama and yet, I feel the consultant should know what he's talking about since it's his speciality.

It's really extremely basic -and yeah I've researched it extensively from the first day off morphine!- but once the bladder bile production is not put to use (e.g. has no fat to deal with) it collects and forms stones. This is normally not a general problem on Cambridge because most people start out with a healthy gallbladder and do not stay on SoleSource for long enough or straight enough to form stones (except for you and I who were crazy and determined enough to keep to it without cheats for months;)). Nonetheless, in particular if there are pre-existent symptoms this needs to be checked and in general, more of attention needs to be give to the issue so that VLCDs can be enjoyed without that risk (by either removing it before hand or by adding some more fat).

Hi MissAma,

I have redone my initial research and think that this link to a US Gov't medical site does a very good of explaining the cause, risks and treatments for Gall Stones.

WIN - Publication - Dieting and Gallstones

MM

Hi MissAma,

I have redone my initial research and think that this link to a US Gov't medical site does a very good of explaining the cause, risks and treatments for Gall Stones.

WIN - Publication - Dieting and Gallstones

MM

I'm not on the right computer now and have no access to my links but I recognize the paper you link to hence I know the abstract mentions the higher risk of gb problems in high BMI patients but there are a few studies afterwards that argue -rightly IMO- that the causality there is skewed as people with high BMIs typically restrict their fat intake in an effort to lose weight.

Nonetheless, higher risk or not that is not the issue here, OP has the issue already and I would think it only wise for us to advise her to get very detailed medical advice before SSing! Just as, to be honest, I also think it's only honest and wise for VLCDs in general to warn about gallbladder stone formation in a more clear manner!

BTW, removal of the gallbladder is becoming common practice with weight loss surgery so at least there it's not disputable that a low fat diet will lead to stone formation.

Hi Girls..

Thanks so much for all the info girls. I had said it to my CDC today but she just puffed on her smoke and said your overweight anyway so there isnt a problem. The only thing is that i have a ache under my rib cage and feels like something is sticking out or that i'm sitting on something if that makes any sence. The only good point is that the horrific pain i used to get at the spur of the moment is gone :(
I'm actully a little disappointed with Cambridge as I am so angry with her over numerous things but it's like they have anyone selling the product. I woukd be delighted to be a Counseller , to think the oppurtunity to help others, be honest about health issues and treat it as a business would be great but mine is a joke..off the topic now sorry ..
Missama congrats on the weight loss, i am really sorry to hear the complications that came with it , i am worried even more now. I have a hosp app thurdsay so will find out then Were you in much pain getting it removed. Do you think it leads to lon term nealth problems? I still have 5 more stone to go .
I really appreacite the advice

ThanksXXX

Last edited:
I'm actully a little disappointed with Cambridge as I am so angry with her over numerous things but it's like they have anyone selling the product.

That's not the case though. They treat CDCs that prove to be below par very seriously...but! unless someone makes them aware that there's a problem, how do they know??

The CDCs are trained by cambridge, but because they are then self employed it's up to them to run the business how they see fit as long as they don't break the regulations and codes of conduct. If a CDC does break them, because of the confidentiality factor between you and your CDC, Cambridge have no way of knowing what is going on.

Any complaints to Cambridge are treated with sensitivity and confidentiality. Your name will not be mentioned, but as I said in an earlier message to you, you do need to contact Cambridge to make them aware.

There are so many excellent CDCs out there, I'm sure there must be someone reasonably close to you that you could go to and get a good service.

Hi Kd thanks for that, I know it's not all cdc's taht are the same , my other girl was brill just lived too far :( she was sooo professional !
I wouldn't like to make a complaint about her, i feel bad enough giving out about her here never mind anything else. She is a really nice lady i would just expect a bit more .
I was struggling for the first week with the awful flavours but was down 12lb so can't complain. Suppose i just had my heart set on the shakes i like rather than dreading having to take what stock i was given.
Overall the diet is brill !!

Pisces, following on from your thread about CDC being a disappointment to you. I strongly suggest you contact Cambridge and make your concerns know. I say this because I met my CDC for the first time today and she is only six weeks into being a CDC and she was totally honest with me about everything, her attitude was professional and her 'office' was also professional. She sataed that Cambridge are very conscious of having a good reputation. Several things about your CDC concern me. Her lack of professionalism being the main one. She is representing a large company and isn't giving it a very good light. Also it is against the law to smoke in front of you if she is 'at work'. The law states ......You also can't smoke in offices or any workplace; except if you work by yourself. You can't smoke in a company vehicle that is used by several people; even if they are not in it at the time.

hugs hunni, lose the weight and set up as a CD and show her how the job should be done properly

Have waffled, will shut up now.

Hi Pisces -- How did your appointment go? Did you get any good information about your pain? I think Fup&F, has given you some sound advice as have others -- find another counsellor who will suit you better, and if you feel brave enough to do so... then tell your previous counsellor what she did or do not do that was an issue for you. She can't change things unless she knows it is a problem. You'll be doing her, her other clients (if she takes your imput to heart) and yourself a favour. Yourself because you should feel better about what has transpired if you express your feelings about it.

MM

Back