Help teens driving me mad.

Well today turned out good I haven't heard a " I'm bored" as soon as they were up today we said we were going to Tesco to get a healthy bbq and take it to Rother valley country park. Took them two hours to get ready but only just came back so. They had fun, we took the dog to so a nice family day with only the normal whining of a teen !

That sounds lovely.
Haven't had a bbq this year yet, waiting till my man comes back.

That will be nice. Where is he.?

He is a primary school teacher that works with those schools going thru issues. I cant say a lot but he has been away since last year. Hopefully he should return in the next few weeks!

YAY

ShySarah. Hope the weather holds out for you lol. Bet your missing him like crazy.! At least he will be home soon, something to look forward to x

Being bored isn't necessarily a bad thing. We all have to learn certain lessons in life -

1. some bits of life are boring, that' just the way it is
2. if we go through life expecting it all to be exciting, we are going to be deeply disappointed
3. it's no-one else's job to entertain us, we have to do that for ourselves - other people have important things to do and can't be dancing attendance on us all the time
4. we have to learn to rely on ourselves, and do things for ourselves - other people won't always be there

And 14 is not too young to start learning!

From reading this thread the problem is compounded due to you living in such a remote location but I think the behaviour of your teenage girls is perfectly normal if you ask me and nothing too much to worry about. (I've had 2 of my own)

As they get older they will want to be out more and more, that's just a fact of life. I think you do need have a think before the 6 week holiday decends what you are comfortable to allow them to do on their own. Is there a bus that passes through this village and if so, can they get it to go into the nearest town to access more amenities, such as libraries or swimming pools or to visit their friends?

Although I don't suggest they spend 6 weeks watching TV, you could think about a netflix subscription? I think they do a month free, so you could get lots of films they would like to see and have some friends come over and stay. Always works with teenagers :).

I think it's brilliant that you want to do things as a family, but as you said it's not always practical, either financially or timewise and for the kids, they don't always want to go out with the 'crinklies'. Ultimately, they do have each other to keep themselves entertained or you could always ask them to give you a hand around the house. (good luck with that one :D).

Hiya. Yes I am quite happy them going to town on there own on the bus.(which passes through every 3 hours) I think they just need to get motivated and think what they want to do with themselves. At least if they are a few things a week to do. And we can do stuff together at weekend if they haven't got plans that's fine. Like you say the older they get the more they will want to be out. I also have said at least you have each other (I was an only child so had to make do with my own company or gate crashing someone else's fun lol ) the friends they have live a distance and tbh they are a bit flaky. But will keep drilling it into them they need to think what to do.
But great advice thank u

Do you have 'run about' bus tickets, you buy a ticket in the morning it lasts all day & allows you to hop off & off the bus, maybe if they do something like that you can go somewhere different a few days a week, perhaps make it a long day & pack a picnic, the girls could help sort out what goes in & seeing as it'll be the holidays you can be flexible with foods (I was), or perhaps go somewhere new 'window/clothes shopping' or depending on money is there a coastal resort nearby with a theme park.

What a good idea from Jenne VB to have friends round, that could so easily take up 2 days & they could make their own pizza for tea.

They have friends over a lot and sleep overs but will put that on the list. Not to sure about them catching bus and seeing where's it goes. Don't think they would be to confident with that. They are ok with where they know.
Tbh we also do the big shopping malls frequently as well. And we all love shopping for our summer hols.
We don't live near the coast and no big cities either.

My girls are fine when they get home from school. With homework and catch up on twitter and tumbler and what ever else. Its when they have a long day ahead I think. Mine do read when they are in the mood and my younger one writes a lot. She is writing a story at the moment which is keeping her busy. Only see her when she wants to print some pages out to stick in her book lol.

Back