Help with cats weeing everywhere...

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I've got 2 cats a boy & girl...they are both 5yrs old. They've started weeing on clothes/the armchair if a towel is left on it etc. I left a pair of trackie bottoms on the bathroom floor & they weed on them.

They have a litter tray as indoor cats but its on the balcony & they know where it is & have weed in it....I clean the tray all the time.

Why have they started weeing everywhere & how can I stop it? The flat is starting to smell & clothes getting ruined.

Also how can I clean the wee of the chair as I don't want someone sitting on it as it smells of wee.

Any ideas?

I have two cats - male (8) & female (5) Theyre both really good - we've had them for two years now and they have a litter tray between them (originally they had one each but started sharing so that was fine by us!)

The female is fine but we find that if the litter tray is a little dirtier he will kindly take himself off to a certain part of the kitchen or wee onto a bin in the house.

They say to really disinfect the area (I know you will! haha) but to take the scent away. To teach them theres load of different methods...

* using citrus cleaning products (they hate citrus)
* Putting tin foil down if its one area (they hate the feeling on their paws)

But honestly - I dont have a magic answer - just wanted to sympathise !!

x

I have two cats - male (8) & female (5) Theyre both really good - we've had them for two years now and they have a litter tray between them (originally they had one each but started sharing so that was fine by us!)

The female is fine but we find that if the litter tray is a little dirtier he will kindly take himself off to a certain part of the kitchen or wee onto a bin in the house.

They say to really disinfect the area (I know you will! haha) but to take the scent away. To teach them theres load of different methods...

* using citrus cleaning products (they hate citrus)
* Putting tin foil down if its one area (they hate the feeling on their paws)

But honestly - I dont have a magic answer - just wanted to sympathise !!

x

Thanks it's getting really annoying now & as I've 2 wee ones (a 3 and 1 year old) I need to be so careful. I can't leave any type of clothes on the floor or chair or anything as they pee on it...the tray is clean regularly & never smells & we only use catsan.

Forgot to say we've had them since they were kittens, only starting now weeing everywhere

big bear said:
Forgot to say we've had them since they were kittens, only starting now weeing everywhere

It's weird why it's all of a sudden. Cats are so clean that it's strange that they're doing it elsewhere.

Is their food bowl close to the litter tray? Another thing is that like anyone, they don't like going where they eat

x

There is a forum called Pets Corner on Minimins, and I just checked it out and found two threads on this wee problem, and it seems stress can be a cause. Try clicking on MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum - Search Results and see what you think. I remember reading a post from you about a month ago where you were in a bad domestic situation. Could this be the cause? Whatever it is, all the best with your problem solving! :)

If you put dry bicarbonate of soda where they have weed it will absorb the smell, leave it overnight and brush or hoover it up x

There is a forum called Pets Corner on Minimins, and I just checked it out and found two threads on this wee problem, and it seems stress can be a cause. Try clicking on MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum - Search Results and see what you think. I remember reading a post from you about a month ago where you were in a bad domestic situation. Could this be the cause? Whatever it is, all the best with your problem solving! :)

It could be this as there's been a lot of problems indoors. They're the type of cats that just sleep most of the day & don't really come sit on our knees for cuddles although we do stroke & talk to them. My 3 year old runs after them trying to catch them to play as well maybe they're stressed. X

Our 4yr old female cat has just started to pull her fur out so when we went to the vet he thought that it was stress and advised us to use that product that is advertised on TV, it's a plug-in and it mimics a ferone smell.This is supposed to calm them.
He said that the slightest thing can upset a cat and will start them, weeing, scratching, pulling fur out etc so what has changed in the house?

We too have had this problem in the past, I found the citrus thing to be helpful, although my cats don't mind orange peel, they cannot stand the smell of lemons! Clean up with the bicarb then scent with lemon, leave a little lemon peel around if poss, just where they have been weeing. I read you had little ones so leaving it about may be hard for you but if its near radiators def try and put some under there or on them :)

Hope it sorts itself out, it can make being a cat owner pretty miserable if your house pongs of pee!

J
x

To clean the chair you need it deep cleaned with an enzyme cleaner that 'eats' the odour.
Dettol diluted in a spray bottle will help with the odours too. Try moving their litter tray to somewhere less exposed especially if your 3 yr old can get to them. A long catch on a cupboard door so they can get in but the child cannot will give them privacy and respite. Then try rubbing all your furniture with lavender. Not oil the actual flower heads. Cats sniff before they spray!

Hi
We went through this in the spring with 2 housecoats, nearly drove me mad.
Were advised to use the plug in feliway and to get the spray .
We found one cat had stress cystitis caused the younger cat attacking her when she came out of the litter. We were also advised to have one extra litter tray to the number of cats, so two cats meant 3 trays in different places around the house.
We have 2 feliways plugged in different rooms, humans can't smell it!
The spray I used everyday on places that they were weeing, scrubbed the place well first.
It worked all weeing has stopped
Good luck
Bron

Our 4yr old female cat has just started to pull her fur out so when we went to the vet he thought that it was stress and advised us to use that product that is advertised on TV, it's a plug-in and it mimics a ferone smell.This is supposed to calm them.
He said that the slightest thing can upset a cat and will start them, weeing, scratching, pulling fur out etc so what has changed in the house?

Hiya

My H and I are in the process of splitting up...

Thanks for all the great replies. I'll try some of them to see which works!! On the clothes it's not as bad as at least they can be washed or just thrown out depending how bad! Its my sofa & chairs as they're only 6 month old....

I'll try the bi-carb to sort that out hopefully XX

My 3 year old runs after them trying to catch them to play as well maybe they're stressed. X

I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

Perfumed ammonia is great for cleaning your chair.

You are working now as well which is something else they have not been used to. So perhaps they need to adjust to that.

Cats are highly intelligent animals who are often affected by what is going on around them.

lots of love by lovely B.B. and big hugs to my cyber grandchildren, hang on in there sweetie and it will come right in the end. You have such a lot going on at present.:bighug:

I always knew cats were inteligent critters - certainly I believe they choose the owner and not the other way around, but I always thought they were so laid back etc.

A couple of vets I have known had confirmed cats can and do suffer greatly from stress. They obviously pick up on the vibes around the house.

Good news is they will settle down and get back to routine in due course.

I can also very much recommend the Feliway plug-in diffuser and the spray. My cat has never peed in the house, but he has been very nervous in the past and has also displayed some inappropriate playing behaviour, and the Feliway definitely makes a difference.

Good luck to you!! xx

Back