Help with supplements....vitamins etc??

Determined Girl

Here's hoping
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone knew the deal with taking supplements? I used to regularly take something called CoEnzyme Q10 which is a bit of a wonder substance for loads of things. I've not been taking it since I started as I've not been sure where I stand with these things...are there certain rules regarding what vits and supplements are coated in?

Would really appreciate the advice as I'm feeling the difference in not taking it (not in a good way) and would really like to start back on it!

Luce x

Hi Luce

All I know is that you cant take any supplements/vitamins with LT. I even asked last week if I could take anything for a sore throat and LT said paracetamol only was allowed, but nothing should be coated.

All the vitamins/minerals you need to survive are in the shakes so they dont advocate at all taking anything else.

I know people have posted on here to say they take and it hasnt affected their weight loss, but I have always been of the opinion to have the shakes/water/tea/coffee and that is it...nothing added.

Hope this helps, but others might be able to shed more light.

I am pretty much in agreement with Scotsmist.

The shakes are nutritionally balanced to provide *everything* a body needs, so you shouldn't need anything else - that's my opinion.

HOwever I recently had a really nasty cold/flu and did take plasticky capsules of max strength cold and flu. Saying that, i don't think they did my cold much good, and I still lost weight.

I've been wondering the same. I miss my peppermint capsules -the tea just isn't giving me the same fix! The shell is kind of sugary though so I know I can't. Have youthought of maybe asking Holland & Barrett. their staff are trained to know about these things so maybe they'd be able to help.

I've also been eyeing up those Q10 thingymabobs. SO if ya find out let me know!! lol

LT has all the nutritional requirements to sustain the body. Supplements are generally to meet the defecit from not having a nutritionally balanced diet. However, certain ones are taken to help with various conditions. Some of these will need to be digested with food in order to aid absorbtion, so these would be a no no. Chemist or health food store should be able to advise if you can take certain prepaations when you are nil by mouth.

Well I am a very naughty girl.

I suffered from eczema for years and it got on me bloody nerves. All I was ever offered was steroid creams which I refused as I don't want the skin of a 90 year old. All I ever did was moisturise, which helped a little. I got so fed up with it and decided to research other 'healing' methods. Tried various things to no avail. I then found out about someone who used a concoction of vitamins, oils and minerals and over a period of a few months the eczema disappeared. So I thought why not try it! I did and 3 months later I had no eczema and my skin was gorgeous! I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis which I've had since I was a child, and as a little bonus the pain from it ceased!

I know the concoction doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me and I am so thankful for it as it has changed my life. I had a terrible dilemma when starting LT as I thought all my vitamins etc may effect my weight losses. I discussed this with my pharmacist and he was unsure how or if it would affect my losses. He agreed with me that I would continue taking them and if my losses were low then we would weigh up the pros and cons of stopping them. To be honest I don't think I would have stopped them as they have changed my life.

So I take:
Multivitamin
Vitamin D3
Selenium
B12
Folic acid
Flax seed oil
Fish oil
Calcium
Primrose oil
Green tea capsules
Vitamin E
Co Enzyme Q10

My consultants who I see regularly know I take these and are happy with me taking them. I was taking them on top of my diet (which believe it or not was pretty healthy before LT)

I am not for one minute saying that it is ok to take supplements while on LT but merely telling you my story and what works for me. Fortunately it hasn't affected my weight loss YET! As you know I feel amazing and have the energy of a 2 year old. I'm a completely different person than I was 6 weeks ago. Saying that I've been put on a lot of crappy meds to rid myself of this bacteria/virus thingy and I'm hoping they don't affect my losses too much. No one seems to know if they will or won't. I don't care though as my health is number one.

Love ya Lucy Lui!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think, even though LT does give everything the body needs I WILL start taking my Q10 again. It's just brilliant and I don't want to miss out on that for the sake of a few more weeks on LT. Betsy- you've been having incredible losses so it can't make THAT much difference anyway.

I contracted a bizarre virus last winter which oddly gave me arthritis and am on steroids for that anyway so gonna restart my Q10 and my glucosamene supplement as my overall health is more important than quicker weightloss.

Out of interest Betsy- the Q10 you take- what form is that in? capsules or what? Just so I am getting the least 'damaging to LT' version?!

xx

yeah Besty...what one is it? lol

Q10

What is Q 10 for i dont take any supplements even when i am not on Lipotrim, should i be taking some I am in my early 50's

Hey- I cut and paste this but it's all true!

The Benefits of Co-Q-10

Cardiovascular disease – A 75% reduction in the body’s Co-Q-10 level leads to the heart ceasing to function properly.
Blood pressure – It complements the action of blood pressure reducing drugs.
Gum disease – It has been shown to restore gum health by preventing the progress of gum diseases such as Pyrrohea and gingivitis, and increasing the rate of gum healing. Research has shown that diseased gums tend to have lower levels of Co-Q-10 than healthy gums.
Weight loss – Research has shown that some overweight people have low Co-Q-10 levels.
Tissue Hypoxia – A condition leading to conditions such as stomach ulcers. Co-Q-10 has been shown to be effective against this condition.
Ageing and the Immune System – studies with mice increased their lifespan by 50% with Co-Q-10 supplementation, and extended the youthfulness and ability to ward off infection.
Energy booster – Co-Q-10 has been shown to stimulate energy production in people feeling tired or run down.

What is it???

Co-Enzyme Q10 (Co-Q-10) is a most amazing supplement and is beneficial on so many levels and for so many different health problems, that it’s hard to know where to start!

Co-Enzyme Q-10, is similar to vitamin K, which protects our bodies against free radical damage and exerts a protective effect on cell membranes.

It is a naturally occurring fat-soluble antioxidant, necessary to the functioning of every cell in our bodies. It is produced in the body and found throughout nature in plants and animals. Our bodies could not survive without it. If body levels start dropping, so does our general health. Low levels can result in high blood pressure, heart attack, angina, immune system depression, periodontal disease, lack of energy and obesity. As more energy is required, the more CO-Q-10 is needed in the diet, especially in the heart and other tissues that require lots of energy.

Tissues that require the most energy (such as the heart) need the largest amounts of CO-Q-10. Angina is a condition where inadequate oxygen is available to the heart muscle itself. People with failing cardiac systems have shown to greatly benefit with increased strength and vigour when supplemented with CO-Q-10. People with high blood pressure usually have lower levels of CO-Q-10.

CO-Q-10 can naturally stimulate the immune system and result in a wider range of beneficial effects.

Ooops sorry Lucy and Rose for not answering earlier! I was typing in between making dinner. I use the ordinary Holland & Barrett capsules. Saying that I run out last week and hubs brought me in the Tesco ones.

Thanks for all the info on them!

I never get colds or flu, I wonder if that has anything to do with me taking all the vits?

Back