HelsAngel's Super Angelic Food Diary (or not!)

I buy Tesco Value batter mix (9p!) and Asda do a cheap one too at about the same calories. Cheap, cheerful and less synage - what more could we want...... only problem so far is that I can't manage to cook them with holes as the Frylight doesn't get hot enough before it simply evaporates off :sigh:, but, hey, not a big deal when I could potentially have 6 (not that I do - I use the saved syns on soemthing else!) for the same syns as 2 frozen ones :D

Just bought some Asda batter mix for 7p! Will make some up as soon as I've cleared room in the freezer. Thanks, Annya. :)

Monday 31st October - Green

Healthy A 250ml SS milk
Healthy A 42g reduced fat cheddar
Healthy B
Healthy B

2 cups of tea
1 diet coke
Mullerlight
Banana
Glass of water

1 cup of tea
150g straight to wok noodles 2.5 syns
Half jar ww korma sauce 5 syns
Gherkins
3 plums
Diet coke

Super speed soup
Pasta
Reduced fat cheese
Few chips
1 cup of tea
Diet coke

Just made up a nice batch of leek and potato soup, should split into 4 portions. 1.5 syns each for milk. Looking forward to it. Turning into quite the little chef! :) Before SW I'd only ever made jacket potatoes and scrambled eggs!!

Really looking forward to having my own kitchen and turning into a proper housewife.

Just bought some Asda batter mix for 7p! Will make some up as soon as I've cleared room in the freezer. Thanks, Annya. :)

Bargain :D try using Frylight Buttery - it really is nicer than the sunflower......mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tuesday 1st November - GREEN

Healthy A 250ml SS Milk
Healthy A 5 Laughing Cow ELF triangles
Healthy B 2 x Alpen Lights
Healthy B

Apple
2 plums
2 cups of tea
Diet coke

Hm leek and potato soup (it's amazing!) 2 syns
Lettuce
Cucumber
Gherkins
Beetroot
Jalapenos
2 glasses water
1 tea
2 alpen lights
3 plums
2 cups of tea

Diet coke
Pasta
Super speed soup
5 elf cheese triangles
Quark
Options 2 syns

Total syns 4

Soup is a great success and 3 more big portions left so a few more green days in the pipeline for me. Managed to avoid bread for the last 2 days which is on purpose but to be honest, I don't think that was ever the problem. Going through a bit of elimination and I've been quite sure for about 3 months that carbs are a massive issue for me. I can't live on red days forever. It's ok for the majority of the week but there's no way I can live long term without potatoes and the like. Not to mention the cost!

Have read a few things on here recently about a fish week. I might give it a bit of a try. Hurdles predicted are that I don't actually like that much fish, we don't eat it at home and I wouldn't know where to start cooking it. I only eat canned Tuna and Smoked Salmon really but adore shellfish so might have a mooch around the supermarket at the weekend and see what I pick up. Cockle salad? Mussel sandwich?

Last edited:
I don't get it, what makes red days so expensive? In say comparison to extra easy?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It's more that green days are so much cheaper in comparison to red rather than EE.

A bag of baking potatoes will last me up to 2 weeks for less than £2. A big bag of pasta is about £1 if you're not fussy on brand. Fresh meat, fish and the like cost the same for 1 or 2 meals. I don't have the freezer space at the moment for frozen chicken or chops say so it has to be bought fresh. Because I still live at home, it gets a bit funny with shopping lists etc and I just notice that RED days cost me more than GREEN. I make a lovely SW rice quiche thing for about £1 with a packet rice and eggs and some veg etc but RED, it seems to be more of a Meat and Veg meal than something I can make up and have 2 or 3 times.

Wednesday 2nd November - Green

Healthy A 250ml SS Milk in tea
Healthy A
Healthy B Pork Chop
Healthy B Bit more Pork Chop

2 Cups of tea
1 diet coke
2 plums

1 cup of tea
Leek and Potato Soup (2 syns)
Gherkins
Grapes
Clementine
Diet Coke
Cup of tea

Chicken mugshot
Diet Coke

Grilled Pork Chop, fat removed 66g cooked
(57g in a Healthy B but I counted it as 2 to be safe)
Roast potatoes in frylight
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots
Beans
Yorkshire pud (3 syns)
Gravy (1.5 syns)
Apple Sauce (2 syns)
Wholgrain mustard (1 syn)

Total Syns 9.5

That's it. WI tomorrow and my sneaky peek at the end of the day at the time of tomorrows WI wearing similar work clothes is.............2lbs ON!! Yippee. Not.

Last edited:
Thursday 3rd November - Green

Healthy A - SS Milk with tea
Healthy A -
Healthy B - 1 Alpen Light
Healthy B - 4 Scan Bran

1 diet coke
1 tea
Apple
Clementine

1 tea
water
Leek and potato soup (2 syns)
Lettuce
Beetroot
Cucumber
Gherkins
Diet coke
Bottle of water
Clementine

Leek and Potato soup (the last bit and there's a massive portion! 2 bowls full!)
4 Scan Bran
Celeriac Chips (got impatient and took them out of the oven too early so ended up throwing half of them away because they were horrible!)
1 Alpen Light
2 tea
1 diet coke
1 water

WI tonight and I lost 2lbs which is more than I lost in September and October. Maybe finally I'm going to see some rewards for my efforts?

I've managed to cut out bread since Sunday and it's going ok. I do need to sort out my Healthy Extras a little more than I do, especially the B's. I don't really trust Alpen Lights every day!!

I've also just realised that I put SS milk in my Leek and Potato soup and if I'd have used fat free fromage frais or natural yoghurt, it'd have been free. WHY on earth I didn't think of that when I was doing it i'll never know but hey, it's every excuse to make me some more!!

Going to run (that means drive!) over to Aldi at Lunchtime and get some more leeks. They're on Super 6 this week (until tomorrow) so it makes it even cheaper. Ever the bargain hunter me!

So, now all of my holiday weight has now gone for good, as has the 0.5lb gain I had before my hols and another pound so I'm in the 10's. 10st 13.5lbs to be exact but 10 something all the same.

2lbs to Club 10 and 6lbs to my 1.5stone shiney. I've got a nightmare November coming up though, 3 christmas parties and my Mum's birthday in the space of 9 days. :hide: HelsAngel will fall! :angeldevil:

Friday 4th November - Green

Healthy A - 250ml SS Milk
Healthy A - 42g Reduced Fat Cheddar
Healthy B - 2 Alpen Lights
Healthy B -

3 Cups of tea before 11am!
Cherry Diet Coke
Busy morning at work so didn't manage to eat until about 11:30am.
1 Alpen Light
1 Cup of tea

Lettuce
Cucumber
Gherkins
Beetroot
Jacket Potato
3 Light Cheese Triangles (4.5 syns)
2 Figs
Water
1 Alpen Light
1 Cadbury's Roses (2 Syns)
Diet Coke

1 Cup of tea
Pasta
SS Soup
Cheese

Kopparberg (14 syns I think)
1 Bag crisps (6.5 syns) WHATEVER!!!

Total syns 27
Just goes to show, you take your eye off the ball even slightly and those syns creep right up. By dinner time, I'd forgotten I'd had the cheese triangles for lunch and so had a Healthy A of cheese with dinner. Lucky I'd written it all down so at least I can try and re-coup it over the week.

Saturday 5th November - Green (gig day, and busy looking at houses - STRESS!!)

Healthy A - 42g Reduced fat cheddar
Healthy B -
Healthy B -

2 cups of tea
2 Figs grilled
FF Vanilla Yoghurt
2 tsps honey (2 syns)
2 diet cokes
Jacket Potato
Cheese
Celery
4 Vodka Diet cokes (10 syns)
2 cups of tea

Total syns 12

Sunday 6th November - Green

Healthy A - 28g Cheddar
Healthy B - Beef
Healthy B - Beef

3 cups of tea
Glass of water
Banana
1 Alpen Light

Cheese
Celery

Roast Beef
Carrots
Frylight potatoes
Beans
Celeriac Mash
Greens
Yorkshire pud (3 Syns)
Gravy (2 syns)
Mustard (1 syn)

2 Cups of tea
2 diet coke

I had a tiny slice of Carrot cake so I'll use the rest of my syns of that but when I say tiny, it was really, really tiny and I don't think it was as many as I'm allowing.

I'm out of Healthy Extra's, I'm out of syns and it's just gone 8:30pm. I'm hungry :(
I defrosted some strawberries earlier so may have them with some FF yoghurt later if In need something.

Total syns 15

I did make some more of the amazing leek and potato soup this afternoon. Not as nice this time but still good. Think I put too much salt in it and also used FF Natural Yoghurt rather than milk to keep the syns down. Made me 4 massive portions again so a load of green days coming my way. It worked last week so fingers crossed.

Just to update, I had some strawberries and FF vanilla yoghurt last night. :)

I did make some more of the amazing leek and potato soup this afternoon. Not as nice this time but still good. Think I put too much salt in it and also used FF Natural Yoghurt rather than milk to keep the syns down. Made me 4 massive portions again so a load of green days coming my way. It worked last week so fingers crossed.

May I have the recipe please Hels? I adore Leek and Potato soup - sadly I like the one with lashings of cheddar cheese in it :rolleyes: Hubs did suggest I use HExA/B Phili and see if that hit the spot, so might give it a try :)

For once he wasn't moaning about weighing, measuring, and not have "this with that". I am nearly a stone down now and I think he is actually starting to believe SW works!

May I have the recipe please Hels? I adore Leek and Potato soup - sadly I like the one with lashings of cheddar cheese in it :rolleyes: Hubs did suggest I use HExA/B Phili and see if that hit the spot, so might give it a try :)

For once he wasn't moaning about weighing, measuring, and not have "this with that". I am nearly a stone down now and I think he is actually starting to believe SW works!

Course you can, lovely. I stole it from Minimins and just adapted it a tiny bit.

4 Leeks (they were quite small so 2 large ones will do)
3 Potatoes 227g each (I know they were this size because they were my HEb’s for red days!!) Recipe also said 2 but I wanted more!!
1 medium onion
Frylight Spray
2 vegetable stock cubes and 1.5 pint boiling water
250ml SS Milk (or you could use FF Fromage Frais or Natural yoghurt)
Frylight
Salt and Pepper

Trim the leeks, discarding the tough outer layer and split them in half lengthways and slice them quite finely and wash them thoroughly.
In a large saucepan, spray frylight (Buttery would work best if you have it but I just used the regular one), then add the leeks, finely chopped onion and diced potatoes, stirring them all round with a wooden spoon so they get a nice coating of frylight (you can use extra light flora if you want but add 1 syn per teaspoon). Season with salt and pepper, then cover and let the vegetables sweat over a very low heat for about 15 minutes.

After that, add the stock and milk, bring to simmering point, cover and let the soup simmer very gently for a further 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft – if you have the heat too high the milk in it may cause it to boil over. Now you can put the whole lot into a blender – leave it to cool a little first – and blend to a purée. I found it was quite watery so you might want to cut down the stock amount but it blended lovely and was so filling.
Made 4 big portions.

Philly would work a treat dolloped in the middle. I was really generous with the black pepper too.

Last week, leeks and potatoes were on Super 6 at Aldi so it cosy less than £2 to make the whole lot and it lasted me 4 days. This time the leeks were from my Dad's allotment so was even cheaper!!

Hope you like it.

Last edited:
Monday 8th November - Green

Healthy A – 250ml SS Milk
Healthy A – 4 LC EL triangles
Healthy B – 4 Ryvita Dark Rye
Healthy B – 1 Alpen Light

Diet coke
2 cups of tea
2 scrambled eggs
Mushrooms
Marmite

Jacket potato
ICBIN butter light 2 syns
Gherkins
Beetroot
1 tea
1 diet coke
2 M&S Mini Choc Brownie Bites (darn work supplier!! However, I looked online and they’re only 2.5 syns each so crisis averted!) 5 syns

2 teas
Leek and Potato Soup (free this batch but admittedly not as yummy)
Fried button mushrooms (frylight)
4 Ryvita
4 cheese triangles
A few chips that were put right under my nose at the dinner table (5 syns)

1 Alpen Light
1 diet coke

Total syns 12

Tuesday 8th November - Green (again)

Healthy A - Bit more milk
Healthy B -
Healthy B -

1 Cup of tea
1 Cornflake minibite 2 syns - GREAT breakfast!!
1 Diet Coke

1 Diet Coke
2 Tea
Leek and Potato Soup
Lettuce
Tomato
Beetroot
Jalapenos
Choc Brownie minibite 2.5 syns
1 Cup of tea
1 Diet Coke

Quorn pieces
Spaghetti hoops
Corn on the cob
Flora extra light 4 syns Wasn't butter but it HAD to be done!
1 croquette potato thing 2 syns
1 cup of tea
1 free cheese scone thing.

Total syns 10.5

Just made a batch of these from the recipe thread. They'll be used as a bread substitute when I have soup or maybe as part of breakfast because since I've cut out bread, I've craved marmite. In fact, I might go and get another one just so I can have the marmite!!

Sneak peek showed a 0.5lb gain today but I know better than to take anynotice of that. Need to up my water intake too. Starting tomorrow.

Addition of 1 extra scone with marmite and 1 Aplen bar Healthy B.

Wednesday 9th November – Green. (could be EE too)

I find green days so much better for stodgy comfort food. I’m still having salad but with a hot jacket potato or some homemade soup etc. it’s much more stodgy and filling. That said, I know I need to mix it up a bit so next week I might do a red week. Actually no, cancel that. I’ve got Christmas party no. 1 next week (the day before WI) so that might be a complete write off!

Healthy A – 250ml SS Milk
Healthy A –
Healthy B – Pork – grilled, fat removed 57g
Healthy B – Pork again

1 cup of tea
Banana
Diet Coke
Glass of water
3 HM cheese scones and marmite - I’ve cut out bread and these seem to have satisfied my marmite craving. They’re free too if you don’t get into the argument of “flour substitutes” being synned. I don’t really understand it to be honest and seeing as I have the scones as part of a meal rather than snacks, I don’t think I’ll count them. Only WI will tell.

1 tea
2 scones with marmite (again!)
Lettuce
Cucumber
Beetroot
Red Cabbage – missed this!
Gherkins
Diet Coke
Water
Diet Pepsi

Pork Chop
Roast potatoes (5 syns for oil)
Carrots
Runner beans
Sweetcorn
Gravy (2 syns)

2 cups of tea
1 water
2 Peppermint tea
WW coconut Slice (4 syns) If I’d have know it was 4 I’d have not had it. I just needed something sweet and didn’t have any fruit or yoghurt!

Total syns 11

Weigh in tomorrow (Thursday). Only need 2lbs for my 10% and I’ve worked so hard to get it. I REALLY want it. Not entirely sure if I’m going to get it though. We’ll see.

Good luck Hels!!!!!

Back