Hovis Digestives for Cheesecake...?

msrsimpkin

Flubber Buster
I've been craving some REAL cheesecake recently and wanted to make one, but I know I'd end up ravaging a ridiculously huge slice if I did. So I wanted to make it as low syn as possible. And not being a fan of Quark (so... fakey :( Urgh!) makes this rather difficult. So, after looking through some recipes posted here, I notice that the biscuits in the base are generally the highest synned ingredient.

So I set out to look for a lower-syn alternative and remembered the Hovis Digestives I used to eat quite a lot of at one time. Well, it turns out they're considerably lower in syns than your average digestive. McVitie's Digestives (regular and light) are 3.5 syns each, whereas the Hovis ones are only 2 syns each.

Now, I realise the Hovis ones are more of a savory digestive than the McVitie's ones, but I'm wondering if you add a little extra sweetener to the base, would they work in place of the higher syn biscuits? Or is there something in the regular digestives, that the Hovis ones lack, that is needed for this purpose?

Anyone tried this? Or have any opinions on why this would / wouldn't work? :D

Ooooh I dont know Hun.

I have just posted a yummy cheesecake recipe that doesnt use quark - it's a blackberry one and at only 0.875 syns a slice truly worth it (7 syns whole cake).
I was looking at adding a biscuit base and came across the same problem as you. I have found that tesco organic digestives are only 2 syns each same as hovis ones.
I also found a real cheesecake recipe that uses them as a base without the need for butter by just crushing them and pressing into the base. I will try this as it only needed 4, so 8 syns. Taking the total to 15 or under 2 syns a slice!!

BTW have been reading your food diary and found it very inspirational- keep going I know you will succeed.

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ooh good discovery on the hovis digestives, didn't realise they were only 2 syns. I love them with stilton and at 2 syns that makes 2 of them with a HEA of stilton an acceptable indulgence.
In the days when I was a little less restrained with my eating I would often make cheesecake on a saturday evening with the hovis biscuits and light philadelphia mixed with lemon curd. Now that you can have 100g of extra light philadelphia for a HEB on Green that might make a version using that not *too* highly synful, espeically since there is a syn free lemon curd recipe lurking in the recipe section somewhere. Have you tried mixing quark with philadelphia? Maybe you could find a ratio that lowered the syns but didn't taste too quark-y?
Let us know how you get on.

I made a cheescake last night using hovis biscuits- will let you know how it tastes later!

I have just posted a yummy cheesecake recipe that doesnt use quark - it's a blackberry one and at only 0.875 syns a slice truly worth it (7 syns whole cake)
I saw that recipe last night and it looked AMAZING! Also added muchly to my cheesecake urges. Haha. But cheesecake jus isn't cheesecake without the biscuit base :p
BTW have been reading your food diary and found it very inspirational- keep going I know you will succeed.
Aww, hun. Thank you :) That means a lot! <3

Now that you can have 100g of extra light philadelphia for a HEB on Green that might make a version using that not *too* highly synful, espeically since there is a syn free lemon curd recipe lurking in the recipe section somewhere. Have you tried mixing quark with philadelphia? Maybe you could find a ratio that lowered the syns but didn't taste too quark-y?
Ooh, I didn't know that about Philly! Oh, yum. I imagine mixing it with Quark would definitely help with the yucky fakey taste. Hehe. And as for the syn-free lemon curd... it's devine!

I made a cheescake last night using hovis biscuits- will let you know how it tastes later!
Oh, please do! :D

msrsimpkin said:
I saw that recipe last night and it looked AMAZING! Also added muchly to my cheesecake urges. Haha. But cheesecake jus isn't cheesecake without the biscuit base :p

Go on then add the base and report back lol!!! I will endeavour to get the organic digestives and retry :)

Kx

Aww, hun. Thank you :) That means a lot! <3

Ooh, I didn't know that about Philly! Oh, yum. I imagine mixing it with Quark would definitely help with the yucky fakey taste. Hehe. And as for the syn-free lemon curd... it's devine!

Oh, please do! :D

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back