How do vegetarians eat low carb/high protein???

Shimmystar

Hi there

on day three and already wondering how I find high proteins as a vege for my add a meal week!!
(is it true you have to do this ever fifth week???)

all the advice seems to be chicken and fish which i don't eat... I also only eat very limited eggs...

Please tell me there will be more to my life than green salad and veg!!!!

xxx

is it not high in carbs??? that would be good as i do like quorn... i have also noticed a grand total of two recipies for vegies on the website!!! lol

It's probably too high in carbs for an Atkins, but by generous use of quorn products (for example you can have something that is like cold roast chicken by itself as a lunch) then you can keep the carbs down. Also try protein powders - almost all the calories are from protein in those

It is slightly high in carbs but not too bad and given the choice between that or nothing but veg there really is no contest, lol.

ha ha!!!! thankyou!!!

do you all add a meal each fifth week..or have i got my wires crossed??? xx

Not on exante, but w8 and for our add a meal week I can have each day either, 2 plain quorn fillets, tofu -( can't remember how much , but similar size to quorn), low fat cottage cheese. Not on plan, but I occasionally had 20g of nuts (about 6 small brazils) as they were delicious with salad.

Good luck with your choices.:)

Hiya,
If you look in sainsbury's some of their meat-free burgers (in an orange box) and meat free mince (orange bag) are low in carb - about 2grams a burger I think - also you can make things like moussaka with aubergine and tomatoe sauce layered and cheese grated on the top and meat-free shepherds pie with the above meat free mince and mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes.

There are quiet a few possibilities......good luck with it

xxxxxxxx

I use Quorn, tofu, cottage cheese, eggs, etc. I checked the lists on Cambridge SS+ and go with their suggestions.

Thanks Mini!!
To be honest I'm still a bit unclear about and if i need to add a meal as only on day four, but want to try and get it right in my head so I can be prepared!! xxx

when calculating the carb content from a food, you are supposed to take the fibre grams away from the carb grams to get your total, or that is what you do on the atkins diet. I am a vegetarian and I lost 4 stone on it before switching to exante. I would eat tesco soya mince mostly and also quorn but sometimes tofu. It worked for me, so when I get where I want to be that is what I will mostly be eating but with veg and salads. Good luck.:) jen xx

I think the booklet says you're supposed to add a meal on weeks 5 and 13.

Do you still have the little booklet that came with your Exante products, that can probably explain it better than I can!

I know some people dont add a meal until week 12 or so. I dont think this is recommended though. I guess the only reason we are told to add a meal after only 5 weeks is for health reasons, not too sure!

oh and if it helps at all, I will only be adding a meal after 12 weeks.
(please dont yell at me anyone!)
I mean people on LL and CD can go the whole way without adding a meal and on LL they have fewer calories so I think I'll be ok to go 12 weeks until I add a meal :D

Thanks blue butterfly... It does seem so soon after just getting used to not eating!!!!

I have the book, I need to read it properly!!!! Lol x

Back