How Do You Feel About Exercise?

Curvy_Chicken

Just read this story on the BBC website.

Basically it is looking at the fact that people would rather diet than exercise, which apparently is worrying - according to the experts.

Interesting - as my c**p doctor advised me to follow a diet when telling me to lose weight, no mention of exercise.

However I am going to be brave and join an exercise class in the new year, as my weightloss now through dieting is very slow, I'd really like it to go a little faster. And as I have shrunk a bit, I feel a little more 'normal'...

But would you at your heaviest even contemplate joining a gym, exercise class or perhaps going for a run? I know that I wanted to go running, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

CC xx xx xx

Hi CC
At my heaviest there was no way, physically, that I would have been able to run (I could barely walk!) but I did join a gym when I weighed 20st and found it very difficult but beneficial.

The gym I went to had a very sensible approach to exercise and devised me a programe of cross training (cardio & weights) and eased me into it very gently.

I did 3 minutes on a cardio machine (rowing, cycling, walking), on low settings so I was getting warm but not being thrashed, then I did 3 weights machines followed by another 3 minutes on another cardio machine. I did this until I'd worked my way around the circuit.

After a month or so, the programme would be changed with longer sessions on the cardio machines on higher settings and fewer weights machines between them: ultimately, the aim was to do one cardio to one weights machine. The good thing about a programme like that was that it was so flexible and never got boring (I can't bear the thought of half an hour pounding a treadmill).

Half the problem with exercise (in my opinion) is that people think that the overweight need to be worked HARD from the outset. It's almost like we're being 'taught a lesson' but all it does is put people off exercising altogether. People who are very overweight and haven't exercised for years (if ever) should be eased into it ... and I really believe that they key isn't just cardio, cardio, cardio but a good combination of fat burning AND muscle toning (weights) - it's the muscle that burns the fat after all so the more toned it is, the more energy it'll demand.

I know that my sister went to a 'gung-ho' gym where they didn't even let her go near a weights machine for a month - they just thrashed her on cardio equipment until she almost felt sick ... she lasted three months: I went to my gym for two years before moving away.

At the moment, I'm not exercising as much as I should be. However, I'm a member of the gym at Uni and will be returning to regular workouts when I start SSing seriously again in January.

When I AM exercising regularly, I like it .... when I'm being lazy, I can't stand the thought of exercising - it's true to say that lethargy breeds lethargy! :)

I'd also like to do more walking: very brisk walking burns almost as much energy as jogging and is kinder to your joints.

I HAVE JUST STARTED TO USE MY STEPPER THIS WEEK, (BECAUSE I FEEL I WONT SNAP THE BLOOMING THING NOW IV LOST A BIT OF WEIGHT).
I FEEL GOOD AND IM TAKING IT EASY NOT GOING GUN-HO.
I HAVE STEADILY INCREASED THE STEPS EACH DAY AND FEEL PROUD TO BE DOING SOMETHING.

LAST YEAR MYSELF AND KAREN STARTED SWIMMING (THOUGH GETTING INTO A SWIM COSSIE AND WALKING TO THE POOL WAS AWFUL WITH ALL THE STARES FROM STICK THIN PEOPLE) BUT WE DID IT AND KEPT IT UP UNTIL THE POOL WAS CLOSED DOWN (BOO HOO )

LAST YEAR MYSELF AND KAREN STARTED SWIMMING (THOUGH GETTING INTO A SWIM COSSIE AND WALKING TO THE POOL WAS AWFUL WITH ALL THE STARES FROM STICK THIN PEOPLE) BUT WE DID IT AND KEPT IT UP UNTIL THE POOL WAS CLOSED DOWN (BOO HOO )

Didn't you get very wrinkly?? ;)

I've always loved exercise. When I put on weight, it was because I stopped exercising but didn't adjust my eating habits to compensate. The weight went on very gradually (I actually worked out that if I'd eaten just 100 fewer calories per day my weight would have stayed the same).

At my biggest (18 stone plus), I was going to the gym, doing Body Combat, Body Pump and Spinning several times a week. I also used all the machines at the gym including running on the treadmill. :eek: However, the weight was coming off at the same sloooow rate it went on in the first place, so I dieted to get rid of it a bit more quickly (a lot more quickly as it turned out, since I did CD).

I have to admit exercise is always, always my first port of call. I'd much rather increase my exercise than reduce my hard earned calories!

I've always combined dieting and exercise. I found that the weight came off quicker and I felt better for it. I have missed the gym for two weeks now and I feel like something is missing from my life. I have to go this week.

Thanks for your responses! Those of who have exercised whilst you were heavier - was it hard to join a gym?

I think the point I am trying to make is that some of us (me included) are so self conscious because of our weight that joining a gym would or any kind of exercise in public places would be emotionally quite difficult - did any of you struggle mentally/emotionally? And are there other overweight/obese people exercising?

Relating back to the original bbc story - I think its all very well for experts to tell us to exercise - but I think it is difficult for those of us very self conscious to take the first steps and join a gym/exercise class (what if you don't have space at home for equipment too or the money to pay for it!).

And Debbie yes walking is great - I am gonna do lots on my return to england.

Luv CC xx xx

Hi, I used to hate exercising until I met my DH. He was really into fitness, but never nagged me to join him. Then talking to him, I realised how much I hated step classes and my phobia is small, thin blonde women shouting 'and smile'.

I realised the reson I failed at exercise was doing things 'cos I thought I should. I now only do things I like such as yoga and I love weight training with free weights. I also love running (despite my large chest) and am training for a half marathon.

My friennds who knew me as a couch potato can't believe it and thought it was to impress DH. But he hates running and yoga!

I joined a gym that had a separate bit for women as I was a size 20 and very shy.

BTW I never lost weight, but was very toned and so looked thinner. When I started CD, I found that the exercise helped a lot with loose skin.

In answer to your question CC ... yes, I felt very self-conscious when I joined the gym. Although there were 'bigger' people also exercising, I was by far the biggest.

I also hated coming OUT of the gym all sweaty and red.

HOWEVER ... it was my own thinking I had to work on: I couldn't alter what other people 'might' be thinking but logically, what WOULD they be thinking? "Hey - that fat woman is doing something about her weight problem ....." ?? I know if I ever see a bigger person exercising, I think only good things ... 'Good for them!!'

To beat the negative demons, I had to work on my own inner thoughts ... looking red and sweaty when I leave the gym?? Hell yes!! I worked HARD for that red sweaty face!! Don't like it? Then look away ....

My fat bum on an exercise bike?? At least my fat bum wasn't on a sofa getting fatter .... etc etc

So by adjusting my thoughts to the positive instead of the negative, I was able to carry on until my efforts started paying off and I became fitter and more toned. At that point, I started feeling less of an 'alien' in the gym - I wasn't a newbie anymore.

Quite often, we're our own worst enemies, inventing thoughts we 'imagine' other people are thinking when they're probably not thinking that at all.

lol...i was wrinkly to start with!

i did enjoy the swimming and think we need to go back to it sonkie.

I am a member of my local gym (for a whole 3 or so weeks lol) and enjoy going down there. its only £5 an hour for a personal trainer too! i will wait to get an appointment with a tastey one tho :)

it took me ages to get the courage to go into the gym but once i did, i soon saw there are as many fatties as skinnys so i dont mind going in alone now.

i also have the charlie brookes workout dvd and have asked hubby to buy me some more for xmas so i have some variety.

he confessed he was going to buy me a bike for xmas... i had to laugh. im too fat to feel comfy on the seat at the moment. had to bring his ATTENTION TO THE FACT THAT MY FAT MAY GET STUCK IN THE SPOKES, which will hurt. ( sorry about the caps) what happened to good old fashioned jewels for gifts????

I love cycling Karen and I have to say that it became far more enjoyable when I invested in a big gel seat of ample proportions for my ample booty! No more walking like John Wayne ... I highly recommend a gel seat to everyone!

I can cycle for miles now and even have a basket on the back for my little pooch. Admittedly, I don't cycle as much in the very cold weather but I can't wait til the spring when I can bike down to the bay where I live.

hehe. when hubby suggested i get a different seat i just shot him a look to let him know to quit.

In all honesty, i do want a bike and a gel seat sounds good to me. i just dont want him to get it cos he'll get me one that i'll hate and i would rather he get me something from a husband to a wife (that isnt a new iron or cooking thingy). something romantic! thats what i was looking for.

i can buy myself a bike when the weather is a little better and i will enjoy cycling again. will be nice to do it with hubby and the kids. left to him though, i'll end up with a pink bike with a shopping basket on the front. :eek:

When you're ready to get your own bike Karen, I'd recommend an S.U.B (sports utility bike). Mine is a Raleigh S.U.B which means it's a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike ... so it has all the gears & gubbins but has mudguards and a rack on the back for panniers / basket etc. (Nothing worse than a wet muddy a*se when riding a mountain bike with no mudguards!)

It also has semi-slick tyres ... chunky mountain bike tyres are hard work on tarmac! Semi-slicks are chunky at the edges for off-roading and less so in the middle for riding on the roads.

Just some tips :)

LOL AT KAREN, HE WILL GET YOU A NICE BRIGHT BARBIE PINK ONE, IM STILL TOO BIG FOR A BIKE, I`D NEED ONE MADE OF REINFORCED STEEL TO STOP IT CRUMBLING UNDER MY WEIGHT......LOL

excellent advice, thanks debbie

i think i will choose one in january and let him buy it for me on my birthday, the 22nd (arent i kind!)

xxxxx

My birthday's the 26th!! Fellow Aquarian :D

lol sonkie. u'd be fine on a bke u nutter. i mean, if i can, u can! otherwise we both have crumbled bikes :)

yay! i love other aquarians. we r far better than the other signs lol. this year will be my 30th... sob sob

Back