How do you get your fat intake up

chickadee1976

Im struggling to get some meals up to 15g fat, such as breakfast and lunch.

If im having weetabix and skimmed milk its only 1g of fat at breakfast time. How do i increase it without my calories going through the roof

To be honest, I don't really have the answer, i am exactly same as you and rarely meet the 15g fat per meal recommendation. I concentrate on the 'less than 5g fat per 100g' rule and that seems to be working for me despite not reaching the 15g per meal. I know we are all different though, so hope someone else can post a more helpful answer than mine!

i use semi skimmed milk.. but my breakfast with crunchy nut only comes to 7g. i find it really hard tallying my fat intake up with correct calories.. good luck!

Hi Guys

Its better that you are keeping your fat low, yor must exceed the 15g rule but obviously the less fat you are eating the less your body will store!

Julie x

This is what confuses me! .. Im not eating anywhere near the 15g and i also have weetabix .. my usual days fat intake is around 12-15g for all 3 meals and any snacks i have ! ........
surely this is not going to make the tablets work ???

Pix

The tablets dont "work" in a medical way, they are there to scare you off eating too much fat thats all.

There is no rule that if you dont eact your 45 grams they wont do their job its a myth.... sorry!

If you up your fat intake, your body will still retain the 2/3rds of fat and the Xenical will remove the other 1/3rd. Therefore you will end up retaining more!

Does that make sence?

Julie x

Ive kind of got it in my head that if i gain more calories from fat and then get rid of 1/3 of it i should lose more weight.
Whereas im only eating a litle fat and therefore only getting rid of a little from my tablets but still eating loads of calories derived from other sources

hmmm.. RDA of fat is 70g for us so 45g is a lot less than that.. i thought you had to stick to it to see better results..

Pix

The tablets dont "work" in a medical way, they are there to scare you off eating too much fat thats all.

There is no rule that if you dont eact your 45 grams they wont do their job its a myth.... sorry!

If you up your fat intake, your body will still retain the 2/3rds of fat and the Xenical will remove the other 1/3rd. Therefore you will end up retaining more!

Does that make sence?

Julie x

It does make sense yeah, but you've just counteracted what you said. You said that the tablets don't work "medically", but then said that they remove 1/3 of your fat in take? So they do work medically.

They stop 1/3 of that absorption of fat you take in that meal. You eat 15g's ()forgive me, my maths is poor) and absorp about 10'gs.

You do need to stick to 45g's of fat per day. If you take in 70g's of fat, it gets rid of 1/3, but 1/3 of 2/3's of 70 g's left over is much higher than 2/3's of 45g's.

I do thinks like, have a slice of toast, with a thin slice of florw, ultra light, with beans and a poached egg, when I'm not working and early etc... When I am working an early, I will have porridge with milk and a bit of low fat jam or even, bang two slices of toast in the toast, thin spread of Flora and a slice of ham and have that.

You can have weetabix, breakfast bars and a yoghurt, hell, I have a tuna toastie sometimes on a sunday!

Lunch - Soup and bread. about 6.5 grams of fat per half a tin of scotch broth and some nice bread. If I'm packing myself up for uni, Ham Snawhich and a packet of baked crisps, with mullerice and fruit. Spice cake will stop your sweet tooth cravings and its 3g's of fat per 25mm slice, so have a slice if you want!

Also, tomato pasta, Jacket potatoes with beans and a tiny amount of cheese, or crab with low fat thousand island sauce and salad, tuna/sweetcorn etc....

I sometimes have low fat cheese and herb spread or cottage cheese with rivita's and ham or leave the ham out....

Its all in your imagination! and Variety is the key! :D

I read on another forum about eating a few nuts to up the fat intake without upping the caloeries too much. It seemed to be working for the person who suggested it as they'd lost 3 stone in 3 months!

• I aim for 25-30g of fat a day with no more than 15g at any sitting - if necessary adding in nuts at a meal to make sure I hit these targets ( I know this sounds very odd and rather counter intuitive, but when I miss the fat targets my loss definitely slows down)

I know nuts would blast the 5/100 rule but it seems to be working well with no 'orange oil' effects for quite a few people on this other forum.

I'm averaging 4-5g per meal so might try to get closer to 8-10g per meal by using nuts.

Here's the post about the fat content of nuts...

An easy measurable way of adding very healthy fat is through nuts. I don't normally eat a nut from one year to the next, but following a discusssion with the MAP dietician now keep some in the fridge for an easy top up - remember you have to get to about 30g of fat for the whole Orlistat thing to work properly and you just won't lose weight effectively over the long term with Orlistat if you ignore this and eat less fat.

These portions are all 5g of fat
9 almonds are 55 cals and 5g of fat
5 brazils are 108 cals and 5g of fat
7 hazelnuts are 52 cals and 5 g of fat
6 walnuts are 50 cals and 5g of fat.

If you need to grab more healthy fat at the end of the day to get to your 30g, then 6 almonds + 2 brazil + 5 hazelnuts together give you 9g of fat and about 117 calories.

The nuts seem like a good idea, I'm surprised at how few calories there are in 9 almonds.
I've been taking Lecithin granules (from Holland & Barrett) when I eat very low fat meals, they are a food supplement that helps with the breakdown of fat you take 1 tsp 3 times a day.
1 teaspoon contains 31.5 cals and 3.18g fat!
They can be eaten of the spoon or sprinkled on cereals, I love the taste.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOR88vE/http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOR88vE/

Yep, that's what they've been doing, using nuts to get them closer to 15g per meal. They've actually been sticking to 8-10g per meal which is what I'm trying to achieve too, the 15g is a maximum limit not a target.

At the moment Xenical is working for me without me eating the recommended amounts of fat. I'm not purposely trying to eat such low amounts of fat but the kinds of foods I've been choosing are just very low in fat. If it stops working then I'm going to start supplementing meals with a few nuts. I tried some almonds the other day to see if I could tolerate them without any nasty side effects and it was fine so at least I know that's an option for me to fall back on.

Im sort of confused now!!! I dont eat no where near the 15g per meal mark as am eating things like jacket potatoes, 0 fat home made soup chicken, white fish, prawns etc. Do you think this may be why my weight loss is only 6lb in 4 months?

Sorry to be a bit dizzy!!!

x x x

brekky ideas.....poached egg on toast....reduced fat peanut butter on toast..........and to get my fat upto 15gms for lunch i have a sandwich and pk of crisps and low fat yogurt x

Ive kind of got it in my head that if i gain more calories from fat and then get rid of 1/3 of it i should lose more weight.
Whereas im only eating a litle fat and therefore only getting rid of a little from my tablets but still eating loads of calories derived from other sources

This was my thought process... Only I was using oil instead of nuts. I need to flavor my food anyway but i suppose nuts do have fewer calories. This was a great thread. Thanks for all the info and feedback. I'm really trying to undersatnd how to get the maximum benefit from these pills!:)

Back