how do you know which job/career to do?

debtin

Gold Member
Evening everyone. Hope this comes out right....I am 32 with a 3year old. Went to university, got a good result but basically did nothing with it. Now I am in a job that I don't particularly enjoy but it pays the bills tho due to nursery fees the take home pay is minimal. I am thinking of the future and need to get out the job rut I am in. I believe I deserve a more fulfilling, rewarding and better paid job. Don't we all I hear you say but seriously, I am at a loss as to what I want to do. Can't afford to train or study but just wondered how everyone else can pick a career path and enjoy work.
I don't think being comfy and just getting by is a reason to stay put...what's your thoughts please?

Make a list of the things you enjoy doing. Now make another list of the things that you are good at. (These will not necessarily be the same things.) Then make a third list of jobs which will give you the income that you need.

Anything which appears on all three lists will give you a place to start. It may not be the final answer, but it will tell you where to start looking.

AnnaFaraday said:
Make a list of the things you enjoy doing. Now make another list of the things that you are good at. (These will not necessarily be the same things.) Then make a third list of jobs which will give you the income that you need.

Anything which appears on all three lists will give you a place to start. It may not be the final answer, but it will tell you where to start looking.

Thank you. I just feel a tad lost and as much as I need more money I can't go from one dead end job to another so need to think x

If you google national careers service its a free government run careers service for adults. The website has loads of job profiles to read through and research and you can do a skills health check which is a series of questions that then identify careers which may suit you. You can also call them and they will refer you to a local service where you can see a careers adviser in person for free anf they are all qualified and professional. X

jayde1148 said:
If you google national careers service its a free government run careers service for adults. The website has loads of job profiles to read through and research and you can do a skills health check which is a series of questions that then identify careers which may suit you. You can also call them and they will refer you to a local service where you can see a careers adviser in person for free anf they are all qualified and professional. X

That is brilliant...will look into that as it sounds like its what I need. Thank you

I had never heard of that - sounds excellent. I am long past needing career advice, but good to know if anyone asks me.

thanks

Thank you. I just feel a tad lost and as much as I need more money I can't go from one dead end job to another so need to think x

I often find that when I just can't sort something out, writing it all down in lists does help. That skills health check that jayde mentioned in her post is another (and more sophisticated) way of doing the same sort of thing.

Good luck.

Like AnnaFaraday I also like to write things down with my likes & dislikes. I work in the Financial Services & have done for far too many years, it's now become very regulated etc, I'd like to work in travel & recently looked at jobs in travel, but with my skills the pay was less than I'd be willing to take. I think I'll keep looking though as something may come up.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Back