How long should I spend at the gym?

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by thatgirlcalledsam, 17 June 2010 Social URL.

1. thatgirlcalledsam

thatgirlcalledsam Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Hi all! :)

I'm planning to go to the gym around 3 times per week (maybe more if I can find the time and motivation!) My question, which I can never seem to find a definate answer to, is how long should I spend there per session? I normally do about 20-30 minutes on the weights, so how long should I spend doing cardio? I'm trying to start up running so I'm doing the Couch to 5k programme and spending 20 minutes on the treadmill!

My target is primarily to lose (a lot!) of weight and tone up!

Thanks for any advice :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Scanbran

Scanbran Stupid Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(11.11%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    I think you've got it spot on.

The PT I was seeing had me doing about an hour, and that included 10 minutes warm-up at the start, so 20-30 minutes on weights/resistance machines and then 20 minutes cardio is perfect.

4. sugar_lipswales

sugar_lipswales Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st10lb(36.73%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I usually do an hour and a half including warm up and stretching, one of my friends who works at the gym tells me you don't need to workout for hours and hours.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.