Hypnosis for Weight Loss- 3 weeks on - making slow but steady progress

There are differnet ways of a therapist using Hypnosis, I don't just use positive suggestions as I feel that underlying issues have to be resolved for good effect.
All the therapists on here will have slightly different methods, and there isn't one right answer. I have found that most weight loss issues are more complex than jsut someone over eating the wrong foods. Obesity is often linked to emotional issues, and when these are resolved the need to over eat is also often resolved..
The when positive suggestions are added in to the mix, they are much more effective.

Personally I don't do one of sessions for weightloss, I usually do up to 5 the latter being a top up... but it is very individual. Some people only need a little help and are almost there anyway... so these may really need a one off... some may ask for more once the final session is over....

As for the other question about needing a top up, I would say this varied from person to person and also methd used.... As I like to help alleviate the underlying problems, often a top up isn't required. Other therapists opinions may differ however!

Anne x

Hi Anne

There are differnet ways of a therapist using Hypnosis, I don't just use positive suggestions as I feel that underlying issues have to be resolved for good effect.

That's what I thought and is also what I'm scared of!

All the therapists on here will have slightly different methods, and there isn't one right answer. I have found that most weight loss issues are more complex than jsut someone over eating the wrong foods. Obesity is often linked to emotional issues, and when these are resolved the need to over eat is also often resolved..
The when positive suggestions are added in to the mix, they are much more effective.

I know my binging is related to emotional issues, I'm not sure how I'll cope facing them, but I need to do it. I'd hoped that losing weight would make me happy and don't get me wrong it has, but it's also made me realise just how much my emotions controlled my eating patterns and that losing weight didn't solve the underlying issues of why I was overweight in the first place.

Lol I'd sort of hoped I would just get positives thoughts posted into my head and it would solve the problem, but also realised things are never that easy:sigh:

Personally I don't do one of sessions for weightloss, I usually do up to 5 the latter being a top up... but it is very individual. Some people only need a little help and are almost there anyway... so these may really need a one off... some may ask for more once the final session is over....

As for the other question about needing a top up, I would say this varied from person to person and also methd used.... As I like to help alleviate the underlying problems, often a top up isn't required. Other therapists opinions may differ however!

Anne x

Thanks Anne

Tracey
x

Wow Sam this is so encouraging!!!! Isn't it weird how with just one session you can start to change already!!!!! The mind is sure a curious thing!!!!

Do you mind me asking a question?

Hi Tracey, I dont mind you asking questions at all

When you had the hypnosis was it at all like a counselling session, do you go into the reasons you overate in the first place? Or do they just fill your head with positive suggestions to stop you doing it?

Ive never had a counselling session but I dont think you could compare hypnotherapy with counselling. Im not an expert though, just talking from my own experience of my first visit today. We did have a good chat at the start of the session about the kind of things I eat, and the quanities and the frequency but she didnt ask if I felt there were any underlying reasons why I binge - and I didnt tell her why I binge - but to be truthful, in my case it is just greed. Im not bingeing to cover up any feelings of any sort, I just love the feeling of a full belly. Also once I was being hypnotised, she didnt ask me any questions and I didnt speak - at that point she was making positive suggestions and telling me how I was going to treat certain scenarios. She told me to embrace hunger as a positive, it means you are losing weight, rather than eating because I am frightened of being hungry.

Also how many sessions did your therapist think you'd need, mine has said he'll see how the first goes, but will be likely to need 3 maybe 4.

She did say that most people need more than on session. she said her average is 2 - 3 sessions but some people need up to 5.

Sorry to bombard you with questions, it's just that I'm looking to solve my food addictions and am thinking of going along the lines of cognitive therapy as well as hypnotherapy.

I chose hypnotherapy to deal with my food addictions after trying and failing so many times to get back on the CD Wagon. The binge/starve cycle was unhealthy but I couldnt seem to snap out of it. Its too early to say whether this has worked but the early signs are extremely positive.

Sorry, I dont really know anything about Cognitive Therapy

I'm a bit scared though to be honest:eek: I'm not sure why I binge, but I have a rough idea and I don't know how I'll react if I have to seriously face my demons.

Dont be scared. Honestly, you have nothing to fear. and if you feel uncomfortable at any point you will be able to tell the person hypnotising you to stop.

I am so chuffed I found this thread, can't wait to see how you get on this week:):):)

Tracey
x

Me too! I will be boring you all with all the details dont worry.

Sam this has been really interesting to read, I'll def be following your progress ---- good luck with it, seems like you're off to an excellent start.

Sounds like your therapist and Anne work a little differently. I'm seeing my therapist next Wednesday, I'll ask him what techniques he's planning for me, I got the impression he wanted to meet me face to face to discuss my issues and was then going to decide on tactics:D My initial meeting isn't involving any hypnotherapy and is free.

Although I'm worried about it, I think I'd prefer if he tried to get to the root cause of my binging and worked on that too. However if I get some cognitive therapy and have the hypnotherapy too then hopefully the two will work hand in hand.

Anne I don't suppose you're in Kent are you;):D

Tracey
x

Hi sam,

I will be watching your progress.....your experience seems good so far!!!!!

Thanks Nas x

Anne x

Thanks for this Anne, its great to have another professional opinion on hypnosis.

its also great to know that those with underlying issues can have them solved with hypnosis. In my case, I am truly not aware of any underlying issues of why I eat. Just portion matching with my husband is my main culprit and so far it seems to be helping with that.

Im expecting to have at least one more session and then we will see how we go. My therapist did say that it is most unusual for someone to need only one session but that it does happen occasionally.

I had wondered about needing a top up in months or years to come, so thanks for clearing that up.

Can I just ask, how much is a session and how do i go about finding a hypnosis. sorry have not read all the post as this thread is moving way to fast. lol

Mine was recommended to me Nessa, but yellow pages is a good starting point.

Its £50 a session and I may need anything from 2 - 5 sessions

Just thought I'd update you with how the morning has gone.

Was awake at 6am which is very early for me. as i already said above, I felt hungry for a moment but immediately thought that hunger is a good thing as my therapist told me. After a couple of minutes the hunger had passed.

I sat down to have breakfast at about 8am. normally breakfast is skipped or taken on the run and when I do eat breakfast it would normally be a huge bowl of cereal - about 100 - 120g as a guess which is 4 times the recommended portion size stated on teh boxes of most cereals.

Anyway, I weighed out 50g of granola which is still more than recommended portion but didnt look like much lol. I ate about 4/5 of it and honestly could not finish the rest. I dont think I consciously made the decision to leave it if that makes sense. I just realised that I'd had enough and put the rest in the bin.

I forgot to say last night after having my curry, I put the remainder in to 3 seperate plastic tubs for the freezer (remember I would normally have eaten the lot rather than frozen the left overs)

I froze two and left one out, as a sort of test for myself. I just wanted to know that it was there and so if I wanted to eat later in the evening that I could. HOwever, I can honestly say that eating last night didnt cross my mind at all. to be fair i did keep myself busy but not once did I think about eating. I actually forgot to put the last portion of curry in the freezer before bed and so had to chuck it this morning after leaving it on the side all night.

Have just put a jacket spud in oven for lunch. Will let you know how that goes later. xx

Hi Sam

This is sounding great stuff!!!!! Well done to you to test yourself with the curry that's a great idea. Did you decide to do the test yourself or were you advised by your hypnotherapist to do it?

You sound so positive, it's wonderful.

Have a great day

Tracey
x

Hi Sam, things sound as if they are going brilliantly. Its great hearing about how you are getting on, and amazing that its all happening so quickly. Its definitley made a lot of us think about trying this route out. I am really happy for you that its going so well, and look forward to reading the next installments!

Hi Sam

This is sounding great stuff!!!!! Well done to you to test yourself with the curry that's a great idea. Did you decide to do the test yourself or were you advised by your hypnotherapist to do it?

You sound so positive, it's wonderful.

Have a great day

Tracey
x

Thanks Tracey,

Testing myself with the curry was my idea. I was really proud of myself when I got up this morning and realised that id passed the test lol

lunchtime update!

Well I made myself a jacket potato with beans and salad for lunch. Cooked the biggest jacket potato in the packet as usual, I didnt weigh it but would guess at 8 - 10oz. Also cooked 1/2 normal sized tin of heinz beans and a good handful of salad.

Would normally have loads of butter and cheese as well, but no cheese today and just a scrape of butter.

Anyway, when I served it, it looked massive to me, but in reality its smaller than I would normally have. I ate all of the salad, just over half of the potato and about 3/4 of the beans.

I started to feel full when I was about 1/2 way through the meal but had another couple of bites before deciding I had definitely had enough.

I cant describe how im feeling. its bizarre. I have NEVER been able to leave food on my plate. infact i usually gobble it so fast that i feel I could eat seconds (and often do eat seconds if they are available) I have really enjoyed what ive eaten so far and taken my time with it. I dont remember her hypnotising me to eat more slowly but maybe she did.

I hope this is proving to be useful to some of you. I know those of you on CD might struggle with seeing what im eating and i apologise but I want to use this as a tool to help myself, to remind myself how big my portions used to be, and how little it is now taking to make me feel satisfied.

Inspirational, I have toyed with the idea of hypnotherapy before but thought there it was impossible if you didn't have 100% faith in it, and as I can't ever imagine being in a hypnotic state I gave up on the idea.

As a few people have said everyone can benefit so may do some research and have a look to see who's around the area

Would love it give it a go but starting back on cd so really can't do both but i think it looks like it works by reading posts on here . how are you feeling Sam

Back