I feel terrible

kingleds

Gold Member
My hubbys nephew is a marine, in 42 commando & in afghanistan at the mo. In the last few weeks 3 people in his regiment, including one of his mates have been killed.

Someone else has died there again today and all i could think when i checked was 'thank god its not him' i feel terrible for thinking like this - its feels so selfish.

Selfish isn't exactly the right word for it but I know what you mean. Your feelings are totally understandable, I can't imagine the stress of having a relative serving in the forces. Of course you are relieved that your family is not directly affected by such horrible news, only natural hun. Your poor nephew having to deal with losing his friends. Thoughts going to all those doing such a great job for us abroad x

I would feel exactly the same if I'm honest.Its not easy being in your position. You are going through it just as much as them but in a different way.Most of us would appreciate it and thank both of you as well.

The other families would feel the same if it wasn't their relative so don't feel bad. We are human and we would all feel this way.

My hubbys nephew is a marine, in 42 commando & in afghanistan at the mo. In the last few weeks 3 people in his regiment, including one of his mates have been killed.

Someone else has died there again today and all i could think when i checked was 'thank god its not him' i feel terrible for thinking like this - its feels so selfish.

Not selfish at all and definitely not a time when any member of any of the serving troops families would feel any differently to you.

You would not be normal to feel any otherway.

Perfectly understandable.

Thank you all for your comments. Its tough for my husbands family more than me tbh & we all knew the deal when he joined up - in fact my hubby tried desperately to talk him out of it but in the end had to accept its what he wanted. He's such a happy go lucky lad, and more than anything i hate the thought of what he & his mates see out there changing that.

I have to agree with the other posters -everyone will feel the same -thankful that its not your loved one followed by sorrow for which ever poor soul it is.
When hubby was in the gulf for the 2nd one (he did gulf 1 too the old b*gger) I sat watching the news and its amazing the relief that 4 words can bring :- "relatives have been informed", then you feel sorry for who ever didn't get to hear those 4 words..
You are only human so don't feel bad

Back