I know I shouldn't, but...........

Darcy15

I can and will do this!
I do wonder about the significant differences in how much weight is lost by different people on TS.

Now, I am very pleased at my progress:)

I have been 100% TS from day one, nothing added. Black coffee and water, 2 soups and one bar a day.

Just fascinated how some people have lost so much more than me in the same time period. What is the secret - if there is one:D

It's not as if I only have a little to lose - I wish!

Just wondered if anyone has any insights?

Onwards and downwards!

Thanks everyone!:)

Might be the bars perhaps? I think people with bigger loses avoid them, at least at the beginning, but might be just my impression...

A lot of factors will come into this. Assuming that all people losing weight are on 100% (i.e., all are having 600cals/day and nothing else)

1) Basal metabolic rate - the number of calories your body needs to burn just to keep you alive, which based on height/weight/sex/muscle mass. So, a 6'2" man who weighs 350lbs and works as a builder is going to have a significantly higher BMR than a 5'6" woman who weighs 200lbs and has a desk job.

2) In addition to the BMR, some people just go into ketosis more easily and stay there - probably genetic predisposition rather than anything you could do something about. You've either got it, or you haven't.

3) Again, in addition to BMR, some people may be making a conscious effort to exercise more on the diet and so they're going to increase the number of calories burned up each time they do.

4) For women, TOTM is going to have an effect - some people (me included) put on up to 6lbs of pure water retention once a month - of course this should all be gone by the next weeks weigh in, but that might explain why some weeks go slower than others.

Looking at your info, Darcy, I suspect the reason you might not be going as quickly as some others is probably down to your BMR being lower than others because of your height. Looking at your stats though, you're still losing an average of 4lbs a week - which is the upper limit of what Exante stated in their literature as being achievable on TS (12-16lbs a month) so you're still not doing badly at all!

Thank you so much Paragee:)

A very detailed and well thought out response to my question.

So, being vertically challenged is where the problem lies:D

Oh well, not a whole lot I can do about that.............it's all in the genes:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi Darcy
My weight loss started to slow down when I went back to work, thought the diet was not working anymore but then remembered that I'd walk 3-4 miles every day with DS towards the end of my mat leave, and I guess that made a difference! Have upped the exercise on my days off now and noticed a satisfying shift in the scales again!
Is there anyway you can add some extra exercise into your day? I'm a nightmare at doing classes/ exercise dvds but found that if I walk somewhere instead of taking the car I find it quite enjoyable (and save petrol money which is always good!)
LED x

Thanks LED:D

I'm not a great one for exercise I must admit:eek:

Will try to up my activity and see how that goes!!

Last edited:
I have had a few slow weeks and I only have 3 packs a day too (I do have dr pepper zero) - what I found odd was my AAM week I lost 5lbs and yet the week after back on 3 packs I lost 2lbs?!? I am going to try to up the activity this week and see if it makes for a larger loss ;)

Hi Darcy, well being short hasnt helped me!!
Im 4 lbs behind you and stuck to it as you know.
Not sure about the no bars theory, unless Im out working Ive changed to 3 shakes a day, and not made blind bit of difference so far!
Like I said at beginning bit of a tortoise slow looser, hey but not bothered as long as I get there!
Maybe it is our lack of activity???? Might try and boost myself with it this week!!

Seems as though on less calories your body is conserving energy, (to 'save you' from starving), and that when you eat a little bit more it doesn't feel the need to do that.

This is quite common on VLCDs, actually. Some seem to lose more by eating that teensy bit of extra food!

Might be the bars perhaps? I think people with bigger loses avoid them, at least at the beginning, but might be just my impression...

Most people doing Exante buy the mixed pack so are on bars from Day 1... most people have them from the start and it doesnt affect them... its different to CD where they dont have them til week 2 or 3

I too have been thinking about this, and I put it down to the fact, that we're all different and whatever we want our bodies to do, it will do it when it wants to, despite our best efforts. I think sometimes we can get so wrapped in our diets and obsessing over calories, and weights that we forget to see the bigger picture...

I think your weekly losses have been great, I'd be over the moon to loose a consistent 3-4lbs a week :)

Yes, I reckon most people here would jump for joy at a steady 3-4lb loss each week! Bliss lol x

Back