IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, try try try again and again (and again...)

Oh I see. I hadn't heard of that before...

Well the first two days were taken up with the activities already talked about pretty much. We left home at 11:20am Thursday for the 11th November commemoration, and got back from the restaurant at 4:45pm! (Stone cold sober too cos the gendarmes are out in force at the moment, and we had our papers checked last week so that served as a good reminder!)...

Friday, after the factory, it was lunchtime, siesta time, then laze in front of the TV knitting time (how active am I when let off the hook?!)...
Saturday, a bit better, cos went shopping, to the market, made some pumpkin soup (froze it all), wrapped some Christmas pressies, and visited neighbours with their biscuits (and of course was "hospitable" at each...).
Sunday, invited out for aperitives before lunch, we spent 1/2 the morning trying to sort out our washing machine - which decided to give up on the world mid-cycle. It is now in the middle of the kitchen, waiting to be taken to the tip next weekend! Fortunately we had a spare (haaaa!), and that is now in its place!

Oh and I drove to the baker's 7km away Sunday... the important two words in that sentence are "I drove"... it's been a long while, and I need to get my nerve back before Christmas being "designated driver" for any boozy evenings.

Hi Jo,

sounds like you had a great weekend, enjoy the memories of the the rest is just in the past! If you can STS between now and Christmas I guess that's what you're aiming for? Surely that's do-able?

The biscuit factory - oohhhh nice.

Now on to the new week - any plans? No more congé public I suppose till Christmas now? Or do you get he 6th?

Jo sounds like a lovely weekend :) what are you knitting?

I'm knitting a little baby jacket... so cute... and cos it's tiny, it grows fast... I had to stop yesterday, mind, cos it was interfering with my eating. duh!

Anja - yes that's it now for this year. No more public holidays until Easter. Yep. Nothing at Christmas. Nada. (booo hiss). What's the 6th and why don't I get it (oh the St Nicolas...). Do you have it [STRIKE]off[/STRIKE] in Germany?

I'm knitting a little baby jacket... so cute... and cos it's tiny, it grows fast... I had to stop yesterday, mind, cos it was interfering with my eating. duh!
lmao

Do you have it off in Germany?
omg im laughing it hurts :D
lmao JO

Anja - yes that's it now for this year. No more public holidays until Easter. Yep. Nothing at Christmas. Nada. (booo hiss). What's the 6th and why don't I get it (oh the St Nicolas...). Do you have it [STRIKE]off[/STRIKE] in Germany?

You don't celebrate the Epiphany, Jo or at least partake of the 'galette des rois'. My poor daugher (birthday 7th Jan) will get this for her birthday cake at school (no longer allowed home-made cakes). Pastry/almond overload. Definitely not Dukan-friendly. Probably right not to celebrate!

Sadly no holiday though (although your stomach needs one to recover). I believe it's a holiday in Spain though - the kings bring pressies there on the 6th! You'll need to move countries:p.

PS sorry you've got a jippy tum. Hope it sorts itself rapidly.

Ahh yes I LOVE knitting small things because of the speed aspect. Socks are good too. Been working on a cardi for myself since the start of the summer. I'm on the last sleeve and then 'only' the wrap collar to do! Of course it's pre-diet size, but at least it's wrap-style so it'll be okay.

No, in Germany the 6th is just where St Nikolaus (any spelling you like!) comes overnight and brings sweeties to the kids that were 'good' and coal and a birch broom (rute) for the bad ones. But no days off and no big celebrations either. Just chocolate orgy number one.

In Belgium and NL especially I think he brings them the main presents on the 6th and then Christmas is just a festive day (or used to be)

So no days off. Not on the 6th Jan either but again in Belgium like France the Fete des Rois etc and kids dressed as 3 wise men/kings going singing door-to-door and collecting sweets or for charity (Sternensingen in catholic parts of Germany especially)

Vicky - I couldn't leave that sentence without editing it now could I?!

Jo - no but it did and still does make me giggle :D
how are you feeling today?

Hello all, I'm well... and I had a good walk to work this morning (past Les Invalides and the sun was rising behind it... amazing sometimes that I don't get run over as I fawn over the architecture of buildings as I stride past with my Ipod on... in my dream world!)

I've an Atkins dinner tonight - Vicky's infamous cheeseburger pie... with greens.

Jo - be careful !!!
MMMM that is a pure atkins dinner. yum!

(this weekend, Vicky, each time I slathered butter or cheese onto something, I told myself "it's Atkins!"!!!) (we were typing simultaneously...)

I love the dress. yes looks as though every lump or bump though :( thats the prob with velvet. unless you have spanx?

Spanx? (big nix? I have some of those errr Sloggis... and if you ever repeat that I said that, I'll have to kill you!)

(this weekend, Vicky, each time I slathered butter or cheese onto something, I told myself "it's Atkins!"!!!) (please look above ref dress, as we were typing simultaneously...)

yeah but you don't get oatbran or wheatbran... or cornflour :p

the hold in pants! you will need only a size 12 surely cos of boobs?

What does flax taste like? Must get some when in England (H&B?)...

I don't know what size she bought... 14 I think. If too small, more likely to stick where it shouldn't mefears!

Back