IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, try try try again and again (and again...)

ooh sounds like a great weekend Jo. Our other house has very thick walls too and I would often be glad of it in the summer when outside was too hot, I could come in for a cool down.

Glad you had a "good" weekend Jo :) seems our pact worked as I didn't go "off on one" either...

I don't know about you but it does feel something of a breakthrough for me - as you know weekends were something of a nutty time diet wise prior to now :) hopefully this is the start of something better for both of us xx

p.s. 1lb is nothing :) remember the weekends when I posted regular 3lb gains! :D....

xxxx

... and if I can gain over a stone in a week (well 9 days with the second weekend), you're right that 1lb is nothing! As you say, it's the whole behaviour thing which is far more important than the scales - which is why I'm keeping off five days out of seven - because an unfair or unjustified weigh in can also set me off...

I'm pretty sure also, having one weekend behind me, that the next one will be easier... and so I'm hoping to stay "in control" myself without going back into ketosis... (not yet decided)

:) not sure if I'm in keto....went straight onto cruise 1/1....haven't had bad breath or anything (cept when I had garlic powder in my tomato sauce:eek:)....

how you getting on Jo x

Hello there, I'm fine thanks!

I said that I'd decide today whether to go back onto Dukan properly, but I think I'll put it off another week as the weight is coming off fast - well the water part of the weight gained so fast of course - and since I'm not having problems with motivation, and last week went so well, I'd sooner not be in ketosis to be honest.

This is what I've been doing:

Fri: PP + two portions of fruit
Sat: PV + several portions of fruit
Sun: PV + several portions of fruit + home made sausages (oh and 2 portos + toast + pate cos I forgot diet DUH!)
Mon: PP
Tues: PP
Wed: PV + one portion of fruit
Thurs: PP + two portion of fruit

I'm 4.8lbs down on last Thursday's weight - and for a second week of restart, I'm really pleased with that!

So, I'm 3lbs up on pre-holiday weight... in 10 days. Very good for me! It usually takes me twice as long to lose as to gain, generally speaking!

Last edited:
Hi Jo - I have been going through this 'am I eating too much protein thing'. I'm sure I read somewhere that we are ment to eat 0.5g of protein for every pound that we weigh - but that's not very much is it? - for me 198 * 0.5 = 99g - which doesn't seem very much. Am I just being dim?

Hello there,

The figures used on the French site are metric (isn't the UK metric yet, hee hee?!!!)

So they suggest between 1g and 1.5g per KILO you weigh as a minimum to protect your muscles. So at 90K you need to be eating between 90g and 145g grammes of protein. (NB: not grammes of meat. ie, a 6oz/150g chicken breast has 40g protein if you cook it Dukan style).

Does that make more sense?

It's not usually difficult to have one's minimum quota.

Here's a good link (NOT a Dukan link though) Protein Info - How Much Protein Do You Need

and a list of foods and their protein values (again NOT Dukan!)
Protein - High-Protein Foods and Amount of Protein in Each Food

Hello there,

The figures used on the French site are metric (isn't the UK metric yet, hee hee?!!!)

So they suggest between 1g and 1.5g per KILO you weigh as a minimum to protect your muscles. So at 90K you need to be eating between 90g and 145g grammes of protein. (NB: not grammes of meat. ie, a 6oz/150g chicken breast has 40g protein if you cook it Dukan style).

Does that make more sense?

It's not usually difficult to have one's minimum quota.

Here's a good link (NOT a Dukan link though) Protein Info - How Much Protein Do You Need

and a list of foods and their protein values (again NOT Dukan!)
Protein - High-Protein Foods and Amount of Protein in Each Food

Thank you so much - I don't think I am not eating enough really - more guzzling too much! I was confused and I didn't realise that 100g of chicken was 40g of protein. Oh I have so much to learn. I will peruse those sites now. What would we do without you?

I honestly wouldn't advise eating beyond your hunger though but, once you're more aware of which foods have higher protein values, it's perhaps good to eat more of those...

The trouble with some people's menus is that they're so hypocaloric that it'll be tough in consolidation when the calories suddenly whizz up. Some people ask why they must have this or that in consolidation, if they don't want it/don't like it/lived happily without it before, but that's really because often we're only at 800 calories in PP... and perhaps over a week, at 1,200 in Conso... which is still FAR from normality for most. And it gradually needs increasing, else the yoyoing you've seen me (and others) experience recently will happen.

This of course is true for any low carb / meal replacement diet.

What did your doctor say about the diet Mouse? Did he ok it for you?

Thanks for the links.

Since stopping using myfitnesspal for recording food I'm taking less notice of how much protein I'm having. Must do a few mental addups.

Jo thats fab with the weight. stay as you are for now eh? brilliant.

Absolutely - did you see I snuck in sausages last Sunday? (Surprised you didn't comment on that!!) I got away with it so will again this Sunday evening... not being in ketosis allows me a little freedom but, while my head is behaving itself, I'll make the most of it!

I've told it "no treats" in October and so it knows...

I didnt see lol. maybe im blind to sausages x you are doing really well. and i think when you see it coming off it does motivate you more.
on my front its the weekend looming although have meals planned out for me and i dont want carbs!!!! cheeseburger pie and possibly kebab tomorrow will do me fine.

I honestly wouldn't advise eating beyond your hunger though but, once you're more aware of which foods have higher protein values, it's perhaps good to eat more of those...

The trouble with some people's menus is that they're so hypocaloric that it'll be tough in consolidation when the calories suddenly whizz up. Some people ask why they must have this or that in consolidation, if they don't want it/don't like it/lived happily without it before, but that's really because often we're only at 800 calories in PP... and perhaps over a week, at 1,200 in Conso... which is still FAR from normality for most. And it gradually needs increasing, else the yoyoing you've seen me (and others) experience recently will happen.

This of course is true for any low carb / meal replacement diet.

What did your doctor say about the diet Mouse? Did he ok it for you?

Well he wasn't very interested to be honest. They don't know what the problem is and I seem to be managing it most of the time with my diet and the eating little and often.

I am not bringing so much food back up with the diet either so that is good.

I was annoyed because I forgot to remind him he was going to send me to see a dietician.

My gp has given me some different painkillers - quite strong I think because I had to sign for them in the pharmacy so hopefully next time I have an attack I will have something that may ease the pain.

Just seeing the consultant again in 6 months.

Absolutely - great that you're planning it all out... if it's foods you want to eat and enjoy, it makes it all that much easier (says she with ONE cleanish weekend to her name).

I'm sure being in CONTROL is half the battle... mentally, physically... everythingly!

At least Dukan way of eating is having a positive effect on your health generally and, hopefully, as you reduce further, you'll feel it more still...

Back