Im back for good! 2012 is my year to taste success-& it tastes like a cambridge shake

thanks guys,

Vanda I'm from Llantrisant, I went to Uni in Swansea!

Just got back from walking ALL day! Shattered! and now my friend's outside beeping her horn to go to Curves.......

Spk soon - let you all know how Curves was!

xxxx

I did manage to do some walking - it was around the shops but it was still walking and better than sitting around.

I'm interested in hearing about curves, one has recently opened in Neath and I have been considering it but have heard some negatives, so would be good to hear what you think about it.

vanda

Oooh I LOVE LOVE LOVE Curves Vanda! What negatives have you heard?

I did it before I started uni and lost 3 stone, and LOTS of inches all over.

I agree it might not be "extreme" enough for people who are hardcore gym bunnies but for someone like me who lives a sedentary lifestyle normally and finds it hard to get motivated and off the sofa, its fab! ANYTHING that gets me moving constantly for 30mins is better than being sat on the sofa!

Quick tell me - what negatives have you heard??

Aching now tho, so that's a 4mile walk and Curves and now I'm shattered!

Today I've eaten:

SF Bar for brekkie

Ham salad baguette for dinner
Pk of Quavers

Tea - Chicken breast in pitta and salad, no sauce.

I'm going off to eat my tea now!

xxxx

No nasty negatives just that it wasnt worth bothering with as would not raise your heartbeat enough to get any sort of results - oh and no showers!. But like you say if you are like me and not at all fit it would be a good place to start. You seem to have done very well with them.

I might check out the one in Neath when I can drum up the enthusiasm! I do have a good excuse for feeling lazy, I have an underactive thyroid and have just had to increase my meds as my level had dropped again so am lacking energy until the levels kick in. Am eagerly waiting for a raise in energy to give me some much needed get up and go.

Vanda

MORNING!!

i am back!! did u miss me!!

how have you been going with the diet? I missed getting up and going down for a breakfast this morning booooooo!

speak soon luv kate xx

Afternoon everyone!

Yes I did miss you Katie! It was too quiet without you! xx

Vanda, I REALLY do think Curves is a good place to start for non-excercisers, it DEFINATELY gets my heart rate up! And I'm quite used to going on the treadmill / cross trainer / bike, and it still def gets my heart rate up!

What alot of people who say that dont realise is that you can actually get your heart rate up TOO much by going to the gym/training, and it actually tips out of "fat burning mode" and into "training" mode, so you're working harder but not actually aiding weight loss.....so if you're exercising to lose weight you can actually do TOO much, with Curves the music tells you to stop every 10-15mins and check your pulse for 60seconds (it's on the tape/cd so everyone doing the circuit stops at the same time, checks their pulse and counts how many beats in 60 seconds). the tape then gives you chance to check your pulse against a chart on the wall, which shows age and then what you're pulse should be to be in fat-burning-mode, (yellow-green area against your age on the chart). Mine should be around 23beats per 60 seconds to be in optimum fat burning mode, if for example its 26 beats then i need to keep doing the same number of reps on the machines but rest more on the "dance mats" in between. If my pulse is only 19 beats in 60 secs then i'm not doing enough!

It's so simple and the machines are really fun (and if you're a non-exerciser like me - you can really feel the burn off some of them straight away!) and you're not on them long enough to get bored.

There's machines that works your stomach muscles, arms, legs and even a squat machine! everyone normally HATES that one as its the one thats the most work! but I LOVE it coz you can really feel it working!

I'm sorry to hear about your thyroid, my mum-in-law has that too and its a right pain in the bum isnt it. My health visitor wants me to be tested for it, as I put alot of weigh on quite quickly after Annabelle was born, am always tired and get terrible headaches - she says these are signs and an underactive thyroid can have been brought on by my pregnancy, so gonna book an appt to test for that soon.

Abby, I think Curves is quite expensive, there's around a £80 joining fee in some and then it's £30/month by standing order or direct debit, BUT they very often have offers on where they waiver the joining fee, and they normally let you try it out first to make sure its something you like before you sign up, and the £30/month can be cancelled whenever you want, its not a contract or anything.

But I'm luckily getting it for free, as a friend of a friend owns a Curves about an hour and a half's drive away from us, so we went there last night and "joined" for free and she lets us go there for free, but because its so far away she's also given us "visitor passes" to use at the Curves closer to me, so I can now use that one for free too! (just have to pretend I pay at the friend's one).

I might be going tonight again, if my friend can get home from work early enough!! I LOVE it!

It might not be for everyone, but like I said, anything that gets me moving constantly for 30mins has got to be a good thing!

I'm really annoyed at the moment, I LIVE on my laptop, but I've been arguing with BT over my phonebill for ages, (there's always odd numbers on there we havent called, our line rental package is £120/month BEFORE any calls etc are added on.....) so I came to the end of my tether last week and cancelled everything with them and told them to cut me off! So it has taken until today but they have now, and I'd just paid my monthly fee to AOL for my internet and now I have no phone line so I have no internet!!

My sis has lent me her Orange Mobile Internet dongle, so I'm using that at mo but it's sooooo slow!! I am going to swap to Sky+ for my phoneline, Sky and the internet but it's gonna take about 6 weeks for it all to be set up, but then I'll be paying £62/month for it all so a massive saving of £100+ on what i normally pay for them all seperately....but until then I'm stuck with this slow internet connection! bum! lol.

Diet-wise today I've been good,
Food:

Brekkie - w.meal toast and flora really light - 150cals / 2g fat

Dinner:
*Tomato and cheese pasta bake - 375cals // 4.4g fat
*Garlic and herb pitta bread (instead of fat laden garlic bread) -160cals // 1g fat

Got bills to sort out now! So gotta log off. Spk soon

xxxx

Curves does sound good but not sure if I can afford the monthly fee when I'm not 100% sure I would go regularly, but will def keep an eye out for special offers - I love a bargain.

Your phone and internet bill was huge, I cant get any cheap deals where I'm living but even so I only pay £30 per month for phone and internet. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Had an awful day food wise so new start (again) tomorrow. I will not give up.

Vanda

Curves does sound good but not sure if I can afford the monthly fee when I'm not 100% sure I would go regularly, but will def keep an eye out for special offers - I love a bargain.

Your phone and internet bill was huge, I cant get any cheap deals where I'm living but even so I only pay £30 per month for phone and internet. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Had an awful day food wise so new start (again) tomorrow. I will not give up.

Vanda

Vanda have you heard about the gp referal scheme you can get on if you visit your doctor? Basically i told my doctor it was costing me a small fortune to go swimming and she refered me to a scheme where you have a fitness plan done and it only costs you £1.50 per visit. Ive just started it today! I can go to the gym, swimming or on any of the fitness classes that they offer! That way you can afford to try lots of things and see what you enjoy!

luv katie xxx

Morning girlies,

Yeah my phonebill WAS massive, we did have a "lock" thing on there to stop people phoning mobiles which was £30+ just to have that.....but then there'd be mobile calls on the bill when we'd leave the lock on all the time??

So we've just had enough of BT now and are swapping to the Sky+ package.

Vanda, I'd give the Neath Curves a ring, (just "google" Neath Curves and they're number should come up) explain youre interested in starting but you don't have alot of money etc.... explain you're interested in coming in and being shown around the machines and then they should advise you from there. (Nice ones normally waiver the joining fee to get people to join, will offer you your first workout for free to see if you like it,and then will go from there). I'd def recommend!

£30/month sounds alot, but with Curves you get the best results if you go 3-4 times a week, so that works out @ only £1.88 (4times/week) or £2.50 (3times/week) each time you go - which is considerably cheaper than my normal gym which is a whopping £5.45 every time!

I know it's easy for me to say, as I get mine free until Feb, but I think you should go for the first free work out - I think you'll really love it!

Also, I've found that Curves can vary alot club to club, the one local to me isnt as nice as the one I'm a "member" at - (Curves is a franchise so anyone can buy the Curves name and run it independently as their own business - the concept is the same - but they DO vary alot on attitude and the way it's set up etc....) So if you go to the Neath one and like the actual WORKOUT but not the owners/set up etc....I'd advise trying a few - i'm sure there's a few in the Neath/Swansea area now??

The one local to me has actually just gone into liquidation :-( and is closing down in the next few days, so I've found another one about a 30min drive from me, so I'm going there tomorrow night to see what that one's like!

Some have "star" awards where they progress people's achievements and put them on the star board - a great incentive as there's normally around 60-80 members and only 10 star places on the board so it's like a competetion to get on the star board!

Anyway.....something other than Curves! lol!

I was talking to my partner last night about being determined to go all the way with this "lifestyle change" this time, and that i'm actually enjoying it and looking forward to seeing the changes and the weight coming off.....he happily listened and commented in the right places....then he said, "there's sounds like there's a BUT coming...."

and there was! I'm SOOOOO worried about loose skin! I said I wouldn't be, and its not gonna stop me loosing the weight, but I AM worried about it.....the other thing I'm worried about (vain alert!) is my boobs! They've always been my best assest and I can't bear to think of them as droopy and saggy but i know they're gonna go that way as (I don't know how much I've lost this month yet but) they're already going crepey and loosing their "fullness".

SO....OH said not to worry, to keep moisturising and body brushing and toning, and when I'm at target we'll assess the "damage" and look into a breast lift and tummy tuck!! WOO WOO! He's going to pay for it too!! I love love love him! lol!

I'm hoping that I won't need either, but if I DO it's something to look forward to now, not fear loosing the weight and being left with the skin its place!

I know I'm incredibly lucky to have a partner who wants to help me with this and has the £ to afford to offer me surgery at the end and I'm totally appreciative!

We're not going to do anything too quickly tho, as I've read up on this alot and it takes around 6 months for the skin to go back naturally, so I'm gonna aim for end of July 2010 to loose all my weight and get to goal and then I'm going to look at Dec/Jan time, maybe even later, for any surgery!!

Having July/Aug as my goal means I need to lose just over 2lbs a week until then, which is DEF something to aim for!

I measured every inch of me yesterday, as is recommended when you start Curves, as you tend to lose alot of inches through their workouts, and the results were soooo depressing!

I wasn't going to post them on here as I was so disgusted by them, but I will, as it should work as motivation!

Under my bust - 38.5 inches
Around fullest part of my bust - 45 inches
Biggest part of my tummy (what's supposed to be the waist!) - 49.5
Biggest part of my hips - shockingly disgusting 56 inches
Thighs - a shocking 30 inches!
Arms - 15 inches

So needless to say I was totally disgusted :-(

On a brighter note, I stuck to 3 meals NO snacks yesterday:

*wholemeal toast for brekkie with flora really light
*pasta and garlic & herb pitta for dinner
*turkety dinner for tea with lean turkey breast, cabbage, broccolli, carrots, peas, 2 roasties, a small yorkshire pudding, cauliflower and green beans, 1 small ladel of gravy.

Lots of water!

I'm going to have my brekkie now, gonna have a SF bar and a big glass of water and a cup of green tea!

Meant to be going for a big walk today but the weather's not too nice round here today! gonna get SOME exercise in regardless, then a walk and Curves tomorrow!

xxxx

Just a bit to add.... i've measured my perfect 10 sister (10 bottoms, 8-10 tops) as my inch-loss goal, she's a similar weight to my target weight, so i'm gonna aim towards there stats as a long-term goal:

*Under boobs - 31.5 inches (so I gotta lose 7 inches!)
*Belly/waist - 32 inches (so i gotta lose 17.5 inches!!!!)
*Hips - 34 inches (so I gotta lose 22 inches!!!!!)
*Thighs - 22 inches (so I gotta lose 8 inches!!)
*Arms - 12 inches (so I gotta lose 3 inches!!)

So I've gotta lose a total of 71 inches all over! And I got 12 months to do it!!

xxxx

fingers (and toes and everything else!) crossed Abz! lol!

I KNOW I can do it this time!! I'm enjoying the lifestyle change and feeling better for it....just cant wait for it to start showing! (on the scales or on me, either will do! lol!)

xxxx

Right, so far today I've had:

*SF meal bar for brekkie
*A garlic and herb pitta bread with a slice of ham and a plate of beetroot, pickles, pickled red cabbage for dinner

*A pack of quavers

*A sandwich of Bernard Matthews chicken slice with white bread, no spread.

So not TOO bad today!

xxxx

Evening!

Just had tea, I had a pitta bread filled with grated carrot, lettuce, tomato and grated white cabbage......yum!

OH had a 1/2lb er burger from local kebab shop! SO wanted one! but i resisted! I DID have a bite of his tho and it was yuuuummy! but was satisfied enough from the bite!

So altogether today:
*Brekkie - SF bar
*Dinner - garlic and herb pitta bread filled with lean ham, beetroot, pickles and red cabbage
*Tea - pitta filled with salad

Here's where it goes wrong - on the snacks! OH went food shopping tonight and bought goodies so I couldn't resist!

*Quavers - 86cals
*A chicken slice sandwich - 183cals
*3 x jaffa cakes - 138cals
*2 x WW toffee-choc bars - 178cals
*A bite of OH's burger! 100000's! lol!

1371 cals without the bite of the burger! lol xx

ooooh be r8 love! you not gone over ya calories have ya?

thats wat calorie counting is for! You can eat what u want but stop at a certain amount of cals. ou did say you were going up and down with ya cals! today was an up day lol

luv katie

xx

The only thing I could say about your food diary hun, is that there's not enough protein. Protein helps fill us up, so we feel fuller for longer. If we feel fuller we're less likely to snack. Of course when it comes to head hunger, protein and how full we're supposed to feel makes not a jot of difference though does it ?:rolleyes: lol
One thing I try to do now, is when I think I'm going to snack, that my head rather than my belly is telling me I'm hungry, I ask myself why I want to eat whatever it is I'm heading for. Am I genuinely hungry? Could I be thirsty?
I think for many of us, its not so much the healthy eating, the changing of lifestyles that we find hard, its confronting the reasons why we are emotional eaters. Its hard, but there's light at the end of the tunnel :)
xx

Ali you are so right about emotional eating. If I only ate when I was physically hungry I wouldnt have a weight problem.

Vanda

Back