In group yappers!

stivesliz

Gold Member
having just read a thread about group sizes I am throwing this question at you all - do other people have members in their classes that sit and talk when other people are having their turn in image therapy?

It is a complete bug bear of mine - especially as the yappers never have anything particularly interesting or inspiring to say when its' their time to speak!

The other week a friend of mine ( who has been really struggling ) was spilling her heart when 2 members at the otgher side of the room were talkin g quite openly about something else. Our consultant gave them a glare but me being me ( gobby ) said ''oh excuse me, but ******** is trying to speak'' and I then got a glare from them lol!

I think people's attention span is quite low and some are itching to get away but I also find it the height of bad manners.

Does anyone else get wound up by this?

Yes. I think it's very rude. But sadly more and more people think that kind of thing is perfectly OK!! Parents talking all the way through assembly drives me mad too. There's five year olds sitting at the front who can shut up for half an hour but their mummy's are all wittering on at the back!!! Really really annoying lol.

Yeah we have one in our group that me and my sister call the tazmanian devil. As soon as she walks into group she bypasses everyone in the weighing line to speak to her cousin, then invites herself in front to get weighed. In imagine therapy she takes over everyones 2 mins of fame, and makes sure shes told us all the meals shes cooked and drinks she drank for the entire week.

Our counseller was showing us a receipe from the slimming world book, and asked everyone to have a quick look and pass it to next person. When the tazmanian devil turn came she sat there reading the whole magazine for 25 minutes, and theres 3/4 of the group still sitting there waiting to be shown this magazine.

My personal bug bear is the mobile phones going off, and the loud Hello's yeah I'm at slimming world

Last edited:
Yeah we have one in our group that me and my sister call the tazmanian devil. As soon as she walks into group she bypasses everyone in the weighing line to speak to her cousin, then invites herself in front to get weighed. In imagine therapy she takes over everyones 2 mins of fame, and makes sure shes told us all the meals shes cooked and drinks she drank for the entire week.

Our counseller was showing us a receipe from the slimming world book, and asked everyone to have a quick look and pass it to next person. When the tazmanian devil turn came to sat there reading the whole magazine for 25 minutes, and theres 3/4 of the group still sitting there waiting to be shown this magazine.

My personal bug bear is the mobile phones going off, and the loud Hello's yeah I'm at slimming world

Oh my god - I had forgotten the mobile phones!!!! One time I remember the area manager was visiting so all the old failthfulls were on our best behaviour when one woman's phone went off ( a yapper incidentally ) and not only did she spend ages digging it out of the bottom of her bag but when she found it she then said ''HELLO' in a really loud voice and started having a full on convo!

My consultant is so nice that she never wants to upset anyone but I gave her the evils and tutted loudly.

I hope the tasmanian devil never comes to Cornwall and visits our group lol x

This really really annoys me!! Luckily, it doesn't seem to happen much at our group, as we don't have many "yappers". On the odd occasion when it does happen though, people must feel my glare burning a hole through them lol! Our C is pretty good though, she always manages to quieten the yappers down and bring it back to the member she was speaking to.

Mobile phones reeeaallyyy annoy me too. It's one hour out of your day, can't you turn your mobile off/on silent? Surely one hour without telephonic communication is not the end of the world...

I find it so rude. Luckily though, as I say, I have a really great group and none of this really happens very often. Some of the other groups I have heard about sound dreadful.

Ours has got better but there are certain members that seem to think its ok to do this and it is just downright rude.

As for the phone - I run my own business and need to be contactable but I leave mine on silent and if I see someone trying to get hold of me I will discreetly leave the room x

In the group I was attending until Weds when I move to the new one, we had a large influx of newbies in the new year. Expected, and great for the C obviously, but a set of 4 friends joined and would constantly natter throughout image therapy, a mother and daughter joined too and would also sit at the back of class giggling at something or other - it put me right off. Combine all that with me moving house, and I decided to no longer stay to class (just to weigh in) and it has been a little bit of my decision to try another group

I attended my first group the other day and was quite surprised at how rude people were when others were talking. There were lots of young children there which is fine and understandable when they make a noise but the C had to shout over the noise at one point. Am glad it's not just me being cantankerous but it would stop me from staying in future as its so unpleasant. In fact at one point the social group were the noisiest in the room as they sat and giggled and laughed about their own conversation. Have to say I wasn't impressed.

Don't really have much of this during image therapy. However there are a few who chat to the paying lady and the the weighing lady when the queue is huge which really does my head in.

I swear this thread cursed me! I went to my new group, sat down amongst some empty chairs, and two women sat beside me. They chatted all the way through IT (getting major evils from people) and there were lots of new people, can't have been good for them. Hope it was a one off - and that I remember their faces so I don't sit near them. I couldn't hear the people nearer the end of the room talking, nor the C at some points.

I swear this thread cursed me! I went to my new group, sat down amongst some empty chairs, and two women sat beside me. They chatted all the way through IT (getting major evils from people) and there were lots of new people, can't have been good for them. Hope it was a one off - and that I remember their faces so I don't sit near them. I couldn't hear the people nearer the end of the room talking, nor the C at some points.
If instead of giving them "evils" which they obviously don't see or don't care about, a few people should pluck up the courage to say SHHHH!! in a loud voice. Although you shouldn't have to, of course, that's the consultant's job, but if she can't or won't, why not give it a try?

I attended my first group the other day and was quite surprised at how rude people were when others were talking. There were lots of young children there which is fine and understandable when they make a noise but the C had to shout over the noise at one point. Am glad it's not just me being cantankerous but it would stop me from staying in future as its so unpleasant. In fact at one point the social group were the noisiest in the room as they sat and giggled and laughed about their own conversation. Have to say I wasn't impressed.

I am part of our social team and there is no way we would do that - we sit quietly and dish out the odd glare when someone gets a bit yappy.

An old member rejoined last week and my heart sank - she talks constantly in a low monotone drawl through each and every session and oddly enough, she goes to the drama group I am in and does the exact same thing there!

I think I will have to say something cos we all pay the same amount so we deserve a service. There seems to be plenty of time for talking beforehand. Will see how it goes this morning and report back...

If instead of giving them "evils" which they obviously don't see or don't care about, a few people should pluck up the courage to say SHHHH!! in a loud voice. Although you shouldn't have to, of course, that's the consultant's job, but if she can't or won't, why not give it a try?

That's defintely something I'll do if it contunes - as someone new to this particular group i don't feel I can steam in just yet, but honestly they were going on for ages about some por woman's mental health and family up and downs! I don't mind so much if it's *relevant* but if not, yeah I'll ask them to quieten down

There's always someone in every group who is disruptive - ask any consultant! Not just in SW groups, either - in an organisation which I help to run there is one person who turns up late to meetings and has loud conversations on her way in, drops her bag, barges past people to find her seat. It is very embarrassing when we have a guest speaker, but usually the other members shut her up.

I wimped out and decided not to stay this week cos it irritated me so much last week. I just saw everyone again sitting in all the same seats and knew it would be just as bad so decided not to stay. I get more out of minimins than the group I stayed to anyway so its not as though I'm not able to access support but I have to say that I want to get my weight off as quickly as possible. Think SW need to look at this cos it would put lots of people off. I do agree that all big groups have the potential to be like this as you say AnnaFaraday but on the occasions I've experienced it if the group leader doesn't deal with it usually the rest of the group do. Don't think as a "newbie" I could have taken it on but I guess like me, lots of people vote with their feet. I wonder if SW pay attention to forums like this and try to take on board what people are saying.

There's one or two yappers in our group, I find it really disrespectful when people are talking amongst themselves during image therapy, but our new consultant is very good and she does stop them.

I turn my mobile onto vibrate when I'm in group and pop it in my pocket (or keep hold if I don't have a cardy with pockets on!)- it needs to be kept on as I'm a single parent carer (my son has autism and epilepsy) so the school needs to be able to contact me. But I would hate it if I'd forgotten and it started ringing during IT.

Back