In group yappers!

stivesliz said:
That is TERRIBLE!!!! I am 44 and am definitely a grumpy old woman!!!!!

The consultant should be pitching in and saying something to this woman - I would have been gutted if someone said that about me.

I am also 44 and a very grumpy old woman! Don't even get me started on bad manners whilst driving! Ha ha!

There are 2 women who have joined my class who are attention seekers. The consultant does her absolute best to keep things under control, but these two are like some hideous wrestling tag team of bad manners!

Oh they are happy when we spend time talking about them, but woe betide us all if we move on.

They are women of a certain age (ie: at least my age if not more) and they whisper ( massively loudly) when others are talking. I feel like I have gone back to the playground of 1980!

Ooh sorry I don't know where that came from!! ;)

I am also 44 and a very grumpy old woman! Don't even get me started on bad manners whilst driving! Ha ha!

There are 2 women who have joined my class who are attention seekers. The consultant does her absolute best to keep things under control, but these two are like some hideous wrestling tag team of bad manners!

Oh they are happy when we spend time talking about them, but woe betide us all if we move on.

They are women of a certain age (ie: at least my age if not more) and they whisper ( massively loudly) when others are talking. I feel like I have gone back to the playground of 1980!

Ooh sorry I don't know where that came from!! ;)

LOL- its good to let it all out x

ok after reading some of these posts im actually not the yapper i thought i was me and my friend (who i met at group) tend to get a bit lets say giddy when our sw consultant does her talk about excercise or body magic as we always think of bedroom body magic ...... we then set our leader and half the group off thinking of entertaining body magics (other than bedrooom might i just add) my friend andrea is so lovely its crazy how 2 ppl completely diff ages get on so well as shes got a daught er my age i love how the group brings everyone together

lardylady said:
This would annoy the hell out of me. In fact, some years back I did leave a SW group because children were allowed to run riot. One woman used to bring her baby who would proceed to scream throughout the whole meeting, and at one group I attended the C's daughter (who was about 6) would whine and moan if she wasn't allowed to speak to her mum during IT!!The last straw for me was when I turned up to find the daughter in charge of the money!! I turned on my heel and walked out. I don't think children should be allowed to attend the group. Parents should find a baby sitter. Or at least some SW classes should be advertised as adults only.

I have no choice but to take my little one along. Her dad is at work and I have no family to look after her! Only option is to pay childcare fees and I can't afford to do that!!! She isn't always quiet but try to keep her occupied as best I can.
I don't think I will be going much longer though as unfortunately a lot of people have your attitude towards children.

I have no choice but to take my little one along. Her dad is at work and I have no family to look after her! Only option is to pay childcare fees and I can't afford to do that!!! She isn't always quiet but try to keep her occupied as best I can.
I don't think I will be going much longer though as unfortunately a lot of people have your attitude towards children.

I think there is a time and a place for children and SW meetings - IMO - at not for children.
I don't want screaming kids when trying to listen to something that I am taking seriously and paying for the privilege.
Maybe all the mothers could take turns to look after all the children then everybody would be happy.

My feeling is that if you do your best to keep your little one occupied and quiet and take her out if she gets noisy then there is no reason not to take her. At my C's morning group it is not the children that are the problem but the mums who sit and chat as if they are at a coffee morning!

I think there is a time and a place for children and SW meetings - IMO - at not for children.
I don't want screaming kids when trying to listen to something that I am taking seriously and paying for the privilege.
Maybe all the mothers could take turns to look after all the children then everybody would be happy.

I really don't think that's fair, sometimes you don't have anyone to watch your children and why should someone miss out on slimming world because they don't have anyone to watch their children. It's no good saying mums should take turns having the kids. Just because we're all mums doesn't mean we know each other and would be comfortable leaving our children with each other. I wouldn't leave my son with someone else just because we happen to go to the same club and she happens to have a child as well.

As long as you keep your child quiet and don't let them run riot what is the problem?

A slimming club is no place for a child, unless the child is following the plan. I wish that people would accept the fact that if they choose to have a child/children, they should make provision for them to be looked after instead of expecting other people to put up with them. I spend my whole working day with children. I don't dislike children, or I wouldn't be a teacher, but I do I dislike having to discuss my SW journey with children present, quiet or otherwise.

Fair or not - it is fact - why should I sit through a meeting listening to children screaming and running riot.

"As long as you keep your child quiet and don't let them run riot what is the problem?" - no problem if that what happens - but does it?

With all due respect, it isn't a fact, it is your opinion, which you are perfectly entitled to hold. And if the only disruption likely to happen in a group was from children with an attending parent who wasn't keeping them under control, I would probably feel the same way you did about it.

However, as clearly documented here, they are far from the only problem. I cannot imagine that any time soon that Slimming World will roll out a policy of not allowing children to attend meetings with their parent, primarily as mums are a fair proportion of their bread and butter. I am sure where possible, most mums would LOVE to have someone to leave their children with while they go and have an hours time to themselves to concentrate on doing something for themselves, but that is not always possible, as Donna has pointed out, and I quite agree with her that just because you attend the same group as someone doesn't mean you would be comfortable while they supervised your child for an hour - apart from anything else, it is likely that the insurance provisions in the halls that are hired for holding groups would not cover such an activity unless properly organised and supervised.

So, whilst Slimming World do not forbid attendance of children, it is the consultants role to ensure that the group runs smoothly, so I would suggest that perhaps your best option would be to have a word with yours if there is a disruptive child attending the group and ask her to ensure that your meetings are kept to minimal disruption by the child in question - or you hunt about for perhaps an evening group somewhere that starts about 7.30 as they are less likely to have young children in attendance as partners may be home from work and children are more likely to be going to bed.

So I have "to hunt" for another group that does not fit in with my life - yes I would be happy to do that - would you?

Well, if I personally had a problem with a group then yes, I would. It is not Slimming World policy to prohibit child attendance. If it was, you would have some sort of cause for complaint if people were doing something they werent allowed to do and it disrupted your experience. But as the problem seems to be personal to you, and clearly leaves you feeling dissatisfied with the group experience, I most definitely DO think that it should be something you might want to consider - if the other option of discussing the issue with your consultant proved fruitless.

You pay for your group experience, I accept that, and you want it to be an undisrupted one. But unfortunately that is the problem with groups as opposed to one-to-one support. There may be people who forget to switch off their mobiles, there may be the odd crying child, there may be a couple of members that simply cant sit quietly and respectfully listen to other people, and there may be members who sit there playing with their phones and who genuinely dont care one jot for how their behaviour affects other peoples experiences, or mothers who have no control over their children and who let them run riot through the group. All of these issues should be addressed by the Consultant - but the group is welcoming and friendly to ALL who want to join, not just those who fit a specific criteria.

I can see your point, but the children aren't actually there as members, are they? Does that mean members could bring their dogs along, even if they barked throughout the meeting? Some dogs are very nervous if left on their own, and it wouldn't be fair to SW members to have to miss meetings because of peoples' prejudices against their pets.

My issue, as stated in the original thread, is adults that talk throughout the group showing no consideration for other people.

As I also said, there are a few kids that come to my group and they behave brilliantly! It's the grown ups I was having a moan about.

When mny kids were younger I was lucky enough to have my mother in law on hand to look after my children, andI do think it's a pain when you want to attend the class, when there is nobody to look after your little ones, and as long as they aren't running around causing a rampage then I personally dont have a problem x

I can see your point, but the children aren't actually there as members, are they? Does that mean members could bring their dogs along, even if they barked throughout the meeting? Some dogs are very nervous if left on their own, and it wouldn't be fair to SW members to have to miss meetings because of peoples' prejudices against their pets.

No, because Dogs can be left unattended in a house without supervision while their owners attend group. Children cannot. There is a very big difference there. I appreciate, and I think I have communicated this effectively, that the current arrangements may not be ideal for all members particular tastes - but as a group environment, there will always be some aspect of it that someone somewhere isn't happy about. If it makes you SO unhappy that you want to stop going there because of it, then you need to talk to the consultant about managing the group better, but as I previously said, the likelihood of Slimming World putting an outright ban on children attending would be very unlikely simply because of the loss of business it would incur.

I actually think when you have children you should be prepared to look after them yourself and not have someone to look after them all the time for you! I completely agree children running around, making a noise ect. is unacceptable, but I honestly don't think you can fault people who have well behaved children who bring them to group.
My son very rarely goes to group, but luckily I have an accepting group who see he is very well behaved when he does go, happy to play on his mobigo (quietly may I add, with the sound off or earphones) and have a little picnic and I've actually had people say I should have just brought him on occasions where he's said he wanted to come and I've said no or on occasions where I've either avoided going or gone out of my way for someone else to have him.
I've just realised how lucky I am that the people in my group are nice and understanding and don't have an issue with kids.... unless they're doing something wrong, we've all had a moan about children who aren't behaving!

But to be honest, reading through this thread I think there are obviously a lot of adults out there who are far worse behaved then any children I've seen at my group.... or around anywhere else actually.

Back